Google Android 12 - Snow Cone (2021)

Android-12-Snow-Cone-1-1024x683

Some pretty big changes this year, one of which is finally some new lock screen options.

Pixel 3 series phones (2018) will be the oldest Google phones getting this OS.

Its out today!

This is some chonky UI.

I kind of regret updating to 12. There is so much white space versus useful information that notifications are pushed off the screen a lot. The first drop down quick access menu only displays four options now and only one was useful till I figured out how to reorder them. Wifi and mobile data are now under one “internet” option in quick access. The new clock font on the lock screen isn’t appealing to me.

My biggest issue is the change to using Android Auto. I use Android Auto for Phone Screens to voice control my music apps over Bluetooth to my car without using the Android Auto in the headunit. Now with 12 I have to connect directly to Android Auto on the car to use it. Try to use a regular Bluetooth connection and it makes me use driving mode with Google Assistant and it is frustrating. It doesn’t respond as well, use a voice command and the driving mode screen goes away, it doesn’t disable the lock screen when in use, and location data seems to be way off after the update. One time it thought I was still in the same place earlier that was 20 miles away. Guess I’ll have to use a USB cable in the car now.

This is the first update I wish I could rollback.

Are you me? These are exactly my own complaints. Well I don’t use Android auto, but I did notice that running maps on navigation mode locks you out of shit now unless you drop back to home first which is more dangerous.

Also I’d like to add another complaint: the whole system is less stable now and also there are visual artifacts.

Boo Android 12. I usually jump on these sorts of updates and tend to tell people who complain about any and every change to GTFO but this really is just worse.

I do like the new fonts though.

I chose the Pixel 5 over the Galaxy S21 when choosing my new work phone so I could get Android updates right away. Apparently I did this right when Google released an update we don’t want? :)

I use Android Auto w/ the touchscreen in my car, but sounds as if I’d be annoyed if I was still dash mounting the phone instead.

Android 12 was so-so on the Pixel 5. Hope it’s a bit more polished on the latest revision for Pixel 6.

The software doesn’t automatically update on Pixel phones, does it? I have a pixel 4a and I want to make sure that’s off if possible.

No, you have to choose to install it.

I just got a Samsung 21 Ultra when the battery in my trusty Note 8 unexpectedly died. I really wanted to wait another generation or two until the carriers get 5G deployed in our area, and I didn’t really want to deal with Samsung’s bloatware or have to keep rejecting Bixby the Clown every time I accidentally hit his button. But phone pickings are THIN right now, so you buy whatever you can find that is more powerful than a Motorola burner. Plus, I figured it would be able to handle the next couple versions of Android easily.

Now after reading that reddit thread, I’m hoping Samsung comes through with a better bloatware shell than Google’s native one!

Fwiw, I am enjoying the chonky UX and haven’t run into any issues.

Looks like this getting pushed to my Pixel 3 right now.

I hate the clock.

Ever since my phone updated to Android 12, a weird thing keeps happening. Basically when I am using an app, sometimes it will go back to the previous screen (as if you hit the back widget).

For example, I play Enjoy Sudoku a lot when I am waiting somewhere. So Ill be putting numbers in and then it will suddenly jump to the home screen (for enjoy Sudoku) and then Ill have to select continue puzzle in progress.

This has happened with the youtube app, and netflix app as well.

I just do not know if there is a weird bug of if there is yet another gesture, I do not know about that was added, like squeezing the left side of the phone and tapping twice anywhere quickly will do a go back function or something.