Google becomes more evil

I’ve been getting a lot of auto play videos, more than ever before. I don’t know if Google is a part of it, but it concerns me with net neutrality going away and bandwidth/MB usage being a greater concern. For non-gaming, nearly all of my Internet use is text with images only, but I’d bet ads take up 90% of my bandwidth and data usage. If we’re delivered content we didn’t ask for, should ISP’s be allowed to charge us for it because advertisers decide to throw so many video ads at us? In that case, when you’re charged overage fees… you’re literally paying to be advertised to.

If you watch YouTube on a non-Chrome browser such as Edge or Firefox, it’s not unusual for it to take upwards of 10 seconds or more to load everything from the video to the comments. And it’s been like this for a while. Meanwhile, if you use Chrome, it’s pretty much instantaneous.

https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/91i0mc/youtube_page_load_is_5x_slower_in_firefox_and/

https://twitter.com/cpeterso/status/1021626510296285185

Also, some background. This is coming from Mozilla.

Mozilla’s Technical Program Manager has suggested that Google’s recent design refresh of YouTube performs worse on Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Edge, the two biggest competitors to Google’s own Chrome web browser.
The accusation, which was posted on Twitter, suggests that YouTube’s webpages load five times slower in Firefox and Edge compared to Chrome.
Chris Peterson, the Program Manager who made the claim, suggests that this is down to YouTube’s recent redesign, which uses Google’s Polymer technology.

Fuck Google. We need some more EU fines on this shit.

I think Google reads my text messages. Well I get that it’s an algorithm and not a person, but my SMS messages between myself and my spouse, or friends. I’m getting adds popping up on something, which (rarely for me) I’m pretty confident I haven’t searched or researched or emailed about, at all, or in the past couple years at least. Electric fireplaces for what it’s worth. But, I have texted about them in the past week or so via SMS only.

I find this somewhat worrying as I have a bunch of personal texts dealing with my kids “when and where is the dance class again?”. Hmm.