Google Chromebooks Shipping June 15th

Uhm, yeah, but… you don’t have to do that. You can touch the screen while docked just as you can when using it as a tablet, but you don’t have to. When you put the Transformer into the keyboard dock a mouse pointer pops up on-screen. You can move it around with the touchpad just like you would on a ChromeOS laptop. You can click things on screen by tapping the touchpad, just as you would on a ChromeOS device. For people who don’t like touchpads you can plug in a USB mouse and use that instead… just like you can on a ChromeOS laptop (or any other laptop).

That’ll come in real handy for running all of that… JavaScript.

What about your beloved resource-intensive Flash?

Basically the the same thing, really, just with better APIs and a better display list model instead of a shitty DOM. Though I guess I should be more generic and say “running all of that… ECMAScript”.

Either way, ChromeOS without NaCl is of no interest to me because of the incredible limitations.

I think I may score the Samsung model for my mom when I see it pop up on a deal site. She never uses the computer for anything except the Internet. If she has additional needs, I’m sure there is a web app for it.

I wish the 3G pricing was better though. $20 for a gigabyte on a laptop is pretty expensive.

That sounds good in theory, but… I dunno, I’m skeptical. How do you do the scrolling flicks that you do all over the lace in Android? Hold down a trackpad button while flicking it? It seems like it’d be awkward pretty quickly, because a touch UI isn’t the same as a mouse-driven UI.

That’ll come in real handy for running all of that… JavaScript.

It’s the same Javascript you’re running on your Android device. The web is the web, and the web is Javascript. Besides, it’s not like this is 1996 and everyone is running ridiculously naive Javascript interpreters. It’s fast now, especially in Chrome.

I don’t get it, so where’s caps lock?

No, you swipe the touchpad up or down with two fingers. Multitouch gestures! Feels pretty natural.

I’m fine with Javascript, I just don’t want a computer that basically runs nothing but it. That’s why I’ll reconsider when PNaCl is around, but for now, I’ll take Android.

GOOGLE IS JUST DOING THEIR PART TO KEEP PEOPLE FROM SHOUTING ON THE INTERNET.

Right next to F12 and Sys Rq.

Apparently you have to commit to 3 years for the monthly deal.

Good thing the pace of technological advance in the web space has slowed to a crawl!

For the lease? Isn’t 28*36 over a thousand dollars?

Yes, but on the plus side that price includes 3G access. On the other hand, it only includes 100MB per month of 3G access which is virtually nothing these days, especially on a machine that can’t really do much without being online.

100MB per month may as well be nothing.

Wow, that’s a joke. I thought that 100 MB free was included with every 3G model.

As a student, I would love a dedicated device like this. My current netbook is too slow to run XP, god forbid Office, so I’m running Ubuntu, but the only programs I ever use are Open Office for notes in class, and Chrome to quickly look something up that’s too much for my smartphone browser. But Ubuntu, bless it, does waaaaay more than I need it to.

If Chromebooks drop to $250 and my netbook dies, I’d definitely get one if the word processing app worked offline. I wonder if I could tether my (Android) phone to it for 3G, though?

It is.

Yeah, I agree. And for $500, you could get a real notebook, or an iPad.

Yes. This also includes a support and maintenance contract through Google. (As opposed to the retail units, where support is through the manufacturer.) Also, they have an enterprise management console where administrators can manage policy for the laptops in their domain (and with plans for things like inventory management).

I think the iPad is the perfect comparison. Both of them solve the need for zero-admin, long-battery-life, lightweight, small, no-moving-parts, web-and-applet computing. For some people’s purposes, the iPad may do so better, but there are almost certainly people for whom the Chromebook would be preferable.