Google I/O 2013

I wish they’d do a 7.9" screen like the iPad Mini. I really prefer that screen size to the standard 7" size.

I’m fine with 7", but I would prefer a 4:3 aspect ratio. That said, 16:10 is OK, 16:9 really isn’t.

Whoever thought up 16:9 should be cast into Gehenna by a vengeful god.

More evidence of Google Games for Android.

Cloud saving, multiplayer lobbies, in-game chats, matchmaking? I’m stoked.

Sad part is, I really use my nexus for reading bad zombie horror books, but I want the new one after reading that article.
Next step is getting the devs at Six-Axis to update their app so I can play games on there with my PS3 controller.

Rumors that there will be a Galaxy S4 with stock Android announced at Google I/O; i.e., no Touchwiz. If I were in the market for a new phone, I’d be really happy with that.

Google Play Game services. I’m going to be extremely busy the next couple of months.

That rumor was spot on.

I have no idea why Samsung throws touch-wiz on their phones at all, I have basically a vanilla 4.2.2 rom on my S3, and it is pretty great. I really wish that there were an option to nuke manufacturer garbage-ware from phones without rooting them.

Best Google I/O yet. Love the way their focus is on stuff you can use now and exciting new Apis rather than nebulous new Android versions and hardware that won’t be available for six months.

This has got to be the longest keynote Of All Time.

Damn, I really hoped someone was going to ask Larry to keep google reader.

Google Wallet - send money via email
Google Hangouts - replacing their Google+ messenger and Google Talk
Google Play Music All Access - $10 a month for all the music you want.
Android Studio - dev stuff

There’s no iOS app for play music, and the web app doesn’t work with “all access”.

Google has a long way to go to beat spotify and rdio.

They just started a talk dedicated to this in the mobile gaming track.

$8/month for early adopters definitely beats them on price.

Well, they need an iOS app. I’ve been using Amazon Cloud Player w/ good success. I opted for that route specifically because I can use it on Android or iOS (as well as the PC). In fact just this week Amazon launched a PC cloud player application.

If Google release an iOS player app, I’d certainly consider a switch. But I’m just talking about matching, streaming and or downloading my own music. I’m not in the camp that’s paying 8-10 bucks a month for all you can eat music. I’m too old and grumpy for that. I’ve also got 16k tracks in my own library. It oughtta suffice.

It’s also online at the developer portal. It’s far from perfect at first glance, but you know, right now I’m just happy it finally exists. So much good stuff announced today that I want to add to my existing and future apps, I’ll save the negativity for another day.

Looking forward to trying the new Android Studio also.

Indeed, but no iOS app (and indeed no way to use All Access on iOS at all) is a major shortcoming. And if you’ve ever used Spotify or rdio, they are much more than just plain-jane music players. They have built-in music disovery apps from rolling stone, etc, social networks, curated playlists, etc. These are seriously mature services with gorgeous, elegant mobile apps. Oh, and they offer offline play too.

So, yeah, google is $2 less per month if you sign up this month, and they offer the exact same music library as spotify and rdio for that price. But the shortcomings are significant. If you don’t care about them, you save two bucks.

I was hoping Google would actually be disruptive. Like, say, “You can stream up to 200 hours per month for $5 on both desktop and mobile. When you run out of time, you can just renew your subscription starting at that date.” Or they could integrate Youtube channel downloads or movies, or books from the Play Books store, or bundle extra Drive storage, or even integrate offline music with drive so you can sync to your mobile device. But no, they did the bare minimum and-- $2/month early adopter savings aside-- it is not anywhere remotely close to competitive.

They released an inferior service several years after the competition. As the kids say, fail.

On the bright side, they beat apple’s WWDC by a month, and apple is rumored to be entering the same market. But, ya know… they’re already late to the party. They should have waited until they could release something good.

If there was a 32GB version for Sprint I’d be throwing money at them.

I expect the new support for epub and uploading your own ebooks for Google Books is a nice thing for many people, and the new maps stuff looks great.

The new Hangouts app is very nice, but it doesn’t yet seem to integrate/replace the G+messenger, which is disappointing. But hopefully that will be added in later along with the Google Voice integration.

I’ve not used the new subscription service, but you can certainly listen to music offline on your mobile device. You sync 20000 songs in your library up to the cloud for free (same as Amazon and Apple, they match or upload). On your phone you can select any music you want to be downloaded locally if you won’t have Internet or need to save bandwidth. Obviously, no iOS is an issue at large, but then again, at the moment this service is only for the majority of smart phone owning people who don’t use iPhones.