Google Pay

I have been using google pay for a while, but recently it stopped working. The symptoms are that when I hold my phone up to a card reader, nothing happens. I have googled this and there seems to be a lot of issues with it, dating back years. I have only found some general solutions and not much about my specific issue. I have rebooted my phone and cleared the google pay application cache.

I think these issues started happening with the latest android 10 update. The last successful use of google pay was near the end of September. I have used the app’s feedback to report the problem, but I have not heard anything back.

Does anyone have familiarity with this kind of issue and/or have any ideas on how to fix it?

Hmmm, I don’t think I’ve used it since the Android 10 update, actually. I’ll try it out in the next few days and report back, but I don’t currently have any useful suggestions. That’s strange though.

My OnePlus 7T has Android 10 patched to the July 1, 2020 level and it’s ok. That’s the latest OnePlus that’s available at least.

I haven’t used Google Pay since before the pandemic, so I wouldn’t know if I was having problems with it or not.

I use Google Pay more now because of the pandemic (it’s touchless) and it’s been working fine for me. Don’t know that I’ve used it since I updated to Android 11 though, I don’t go out much.

Mine worked on the weekend. I’m running Android 11 with the September update.

Never had an issue with the phone. In fact, I’ve used it exclusively since contactless stopped working on my card about a year ago.

How about removing and re-adding the card?

NFC is enabled, right?

Does work when not using it with NFC, like websites that take Google Pay?

This is the number one thing that will break it. NFC disabled and/or permissions for it.

I checked NFC, its on. Under that it has contactless payments. Clicking on that it shows google pay.

Google pay displays a warning if NFC is disabled. Can you try something else like samsung pay to test?

I do not have samsung phone. I have just the basic Pixel 3 XL.

You could try loading NFC tools off play store to confirm your NFC hardware works correctly. Otherwise, reinstall Gpay.

I installed NFC tools and launched it. I am not sure what I need to do, but it doesn’t seem to report any errors when clicking on all the tabs.

I just wiped the application cache, then wiped the application data (I am not sure the difference), then uninstalled the app. Then I went to the google store and re-downloaded it and installed it. It still had all my credit card info in it, which is odd.

Anyway, I think today at lunch Ill give it another shot.

That’s stored at Google account level.

Its still a no go. I guess ill just try it once in a while and hope it works again at some point. I do not know what else to do.

The real reason I was using it was so that I could have a backup card digitally so that if something happened like I lost my wallet, I would only have to cancel one card and then would have access to a 2nd card immediately, like if I was on vacation or something.

Google Pay relaunch. Its basically everything now. It’s everything finance. They will be partnering with banks to offer checking and savings accounts. They have a Mint like feature, and of course paying itself. Out on Android and iOS. You can’t use it on iOS to tap to pay obviously.