Google Voice is live

Considering how badly Google Voice’s auto transcript program mangles most of the voicemails I get, I don’t really care if people can read them online… it isn’t like they would make any sense to anyone who reads them (since most of them don’t even make sense to me and I know the people who left them).

Gmail just got ten times more awesome.

Yeah, the Skype guys have to be laying awake at night. Free domestic calling, the business model being to make money on international calls (and those are pretty cheap.) I believe Skype was just about to do an IPO - this can’t be good for them.

So, I am a bit confused as to how this actually works. (I am at work and I am trying to mess with it but that may be my problem)

Do you go to your gmail account and make the calls from there or do you go to your google voice page to do this…I as because I do not see a call option under my contact names and I do have Google Voice…

duh, nm I found it.

I’m hoping for some sort of proxy allowing interoperability with SIP, so I can eliminate the various middlemen currently allowing me to make free voice calls over my data connection.

Based on their previous response to stuff like this, my guess is they’ll try to block it, although given their recent reply to gizmodo (that google voice is monetized by international calls) I really don’t see why they would. Maybe to avoid being treated as a telephony provider, subject to their regulations, having to collect taxes and fees for E-911 or something?

I was excited to hear that I could do this (GV via desktop) without jumping through all the SIP hoops stusser has been jumping through, but then disappointed when I realized this is yet another one of those things that works only in gmail and not in Google Apps. Given that my GV number is linked to a Google Apps account and not a gmail account this is drastically less useful for me.

I guess they say they’ll fix this “in the fall” though.

Google Apps is definitely slower to get new features. I suppose they figure they want to roll them out to “corporate” customers slower. Or else it’s just that Apps users are second-class citizens who are less important.

Just used it…very slight delay but call quality was fantastic. Color me impressed. Apparently they have handled 1 million calls so far today.

On the most recent This Week in Google podcast (not produced by Google, BTW, for those who don’t listen to it), Chris DiBona said that the reason things roll out slower to Google Apps users is that they make service-level guarantees to those customers and therefore have to be much more careful about when they launch new features on Apps accounts.

A lot of Google Apps “customers” just use the free versions and have no SLA, AFAICT, though I can’t fault them too badly for not having separate infrastructures for each category (paid vs free).

I, for one, would love to get every new gmail/google consumer feature as soon as they roll it out on gmail.

Anyway, they do have a google voice number transfer process (though it is manual and may take up to 2 weeks), so I submitted a request to move my primary GV number from a Google Apps account to a gmail account (which is allowed, though the reverse is not).

I’m pretty sure they’re going to block it for exactly the reasons you state. Google doesn’t want the FCC on their backs.

I wish there was some way to make my old landline number my full on Google Voice number. You can import the number, but can’t do call forwarding and other features that normlal GV numbers give you.

Google Voice now works with existing numbers.

If I could figure out a way to replace my land line number and keep both the land line and the cell phone, I’d pay the early cancellation fees, use Google Voice and still come out way ahead. But I’m not sure how to do all of that.

Hi it’s me I was hoping that I could reach you, before I go and my rehearsal, but just in case. Which is a link to bring over some toilet paper. Just some from your apartment because we’re on the last role. And also, so if you want to do, you’ve been feeling so much money on food and stuff You could call me. Just, here and cook it. Whatever you can find any, and your husband. Can you hear this. Chickens there. Again. Thursday their speak. I’m in right middle, like. You know, that’s a lot and I wanted to see if you just wanna meet here, you wanna do it you’d anything you want some. Okay well I will talk to you later, bye bye.

. .

Oohhh, great idea! This is from my girlfriend:

Hey, excuse me, I have been having a good day. Yeah, I was calling because I’m on my way, Ford. Yeah, Monica now And yeah thought I’d give me a call, gimme a call and did before. Cost of before 7. I might be on the phone it work or something. But give me a call if you want that. Alright, talk to you Later. Bye Bye.

Oohh, another good one from a recruiter:

Hey Brian, Shelton within a recruiter that looking at your resume on monster My phone number in Seattle. 20. Thanks, 321 day 444 But I’m calling about a couple of positions. I’m working on down in the Los Angeles area. If you could give me a call back. I’d appreciate it Bye now.

The Google Voice app doesn’t work in Canada. Thanks CRTC!

Wow, you really get raped up there when it comes to cell phones, huh?

Yes because the CRTC (Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission) are in the pockets of the Canadian telecoms, enforcing their regional monopolies. They won’t allow foreign owned cell phone companies (the new Wind Mobile is financed by an Egyptian company).

Don’t worry, Rogers is going to increase text messaging to 20c/message! 8x the cost of the equivalent data sent from the hubble telescope!

Wow, that sounds really awful guys. I’m sorry. :(