Gorgeous Paper Mario 2 Screens

I know that a lot of you are grumpy PC gaming curmudgeons, but if those screenshots don’t bring a smile to your lips and make your heart grow three sizes, then you are a cold heartless automaton with no soul.

Some crazy, wacky looking stuff.

I like it. I dig the little mouser and goomba characters too.

What was the Paper Mario gameplay like? I’ve forgotten, was it RPGish like the Mario and Luigi GBA game?

Yeah, it’s very close in gameplay to M&L. Sort of an RPG-lite mixed with a little bit of platforming.

It’s being done by Intellegent Systems again too. Same guys that did Fire Emblem and Advance Wars…

–Dave

Dig the irony in their name.

So it’s going to be a 2D platformer in places? That sounds good. I’ve never played the original, but since my son found a used N64 + 2 games for $20, I’ve been looking for it. I found a Paper Mario cart in a Gamecrazy, but they wanted $35 for it… most expensive N64 cart they had.

Paper Mario was one of the best N64 games. I’m still surprised that Nintendo actually released it in Europe knowing their usual PAL habits. PM2 and Fire Emblem (GC) are pretty much must-have titles to me.

So it’s going to be a 2D platformer in places? That sounds good. I’ve never played the original, but since my son found a used N64 + 2 games for $20, I’ve been looking for it. I found a Paper Mario cart in a Gamecrazy, but they wanted $35 for it… most expensive N64 cart they had.

I honestly think it’s worth $35 if you can’t find it cheaper at other places. The game itself, well, is a 2D platformer and it’s not. It mixes action-RPG and jump’n run elements. The story is as dull and predictable as you would expect it in a Mario title, but the game is really addicting. IMO.

That sounds great. I’d like to get Fire Emblem GC too as I’ve been reading on this forum for months about how great it is, but I don’t have a Game Boy.

Unlike those unpredictable FF-style RPGs. You know, the one where the protagonist has amnesia/shameful past that they have to come to terms with on the way to fighting pure evil in an alternate dimension?

-Scott-

If the story is half as entertaining in PM2 as it is in Mario & Luigi, it’ll still be a blast. I only played a little of Paper Mario (only got it recently and haven’t had time), but what I played was entertaining enough, story-wise.

–Dave

I’ve finished 3 worlds now, and got the 3 crystal stars for them.

My main complaint so far is that the game is really tough. Most of the moves require dexterity with the controller of a kind that my 7 year old doesn’t have, and he also can’t read yet, so I end up reading all the dialog out loud, but worse, I also end up doing all the gameplay bits too, so he’s feeling pretty left out. I wish there was something in the game that he was good at too.

Imagine being called a grumpy PC gaming curmudgeon 20 years ago.

I normally cringe when I hear “original” versions of tunes that have been re-done properly in remakes/remastered versions with proper orchestras. But in this case, I figured, come on the original was a Gamecube game, not freaking NES or SNES, so audio technology was pretty darn great already by that time. I can’t imagine there being too much of a difference between the two versions this time. So in the game, you get the nostalgic tunes badge, and I activated it the other day.

I was kind of right, and kind of wrong.

First of all, yes, it’s on the gamecube, so there’s none of that tech limitation you often run across with NES or SNES games. On the other hand, for some inexplicable reason, the original tunes seem to have been done via a synthesizer with a very distinctive synthesizer sound to it, as if this title originally was trying to evoke a kind of 80s synthesizer sound instead of the usual timeless classical type sound that Nintendo usually reaches for. The remade tunes have actual classical instruments, so they really do have that timeless classical sound to them. But I kind of like these synthesizer versions. I might even prefer them. It gives the game quite a different flavor than the remake’s tunes.