Gosford Park

This movie was very weird, despite all of the English comedies and dramas I’ve been subjected to by my mother while growing up.

I normally avoid Altman pictures like the plague, and its clear that my instincts are well-founded.

Even so, the characters here are so well constructed and the dramatic elements, writing, and acting so subtle and fine-tuned that I can’t help but like the picture.

This is the sort of movie where (upon the first viewing) if you blink at the wrong time you feel as though your ability to determine the murderer or understand a character has been destroyed. And EVERY time is the wrong time.

This movie was very frustrating as I just couldn’t pay enough attention to understand everything that was going on. Too many characters, too much subtle innuendo. This, of any movie that has ever been made, demands a second viewing.

I must admit that I have no idea whatsoever why this picture was made. It seems a bizarre construct on any level. It has no (substantial) resolution… in place of a plot it provides a setting and a cast of characters. Things happen, but the plot is driven far more from the hidden back story than from elements in the film… completely against the Hollywood tradition. Throughout the film the characters give (usually subtle) clues as to the back story.

The movie might have lacked a purpose, but it was surely a collection of some pretty great parts… overall good to very good movie.

the English comedies and dramas I’ve been subjected to by my mother while growing up

…ah, that explain a lot.

This, of any movie that has ever been made, demands a second viewing.

…with subtitles turned on. Those characters mumble way too much.

• Alan