Got into my first car accident tonight :(

Hopefully she laundered your pants.[/quote]

Is that a euphemism?

(yes, yes I saw the “shit my pants” line)

I think the only exception made is for chain reactions, but I am not sure.

If you rear-end someone and they rear-end the person in front of them, it’s still your fault, not theirs. I’m not sure if that’s the way you were arguing or not, but that’s how it works. Here, at least.

Yes, I know from personal experience.

The stopping distance of a car has more to do with its mass and overall breaking power than the existence of ABS or not. An SUV with ABS won’t stop faster than a Corolla without. The best combination is found in a car like a BMW 3 series, which is reasonably light and has enormous brakes.

A good driver without ABS will stop faster than one with it, though obviously, ABS is better for the majority of drivers.

Well my car (Subaru Outback Ltd) only weighs about 1.5 tonnes so I guess with ABS it can stop fairly quickly. I have not completed any defensive driver training so I guess ABS is a good thing. It has saved me a couple of times.

You can also escape some or all liability for a rear-ender if the car in front of you did not have functioning brake lights (and believe it or not, there’s a way to tell: if a car is hit from behind and the lights are working, the elements get all warped because they’re hot. Non-working lights don’t warp in an impact.). And I think it’s true everywhere in the US that if someone PUSHES you into the car in front of you, you’re obviously not at fault (that’s definitely the rule in California; in chain-reaction accidents, I was always asking the guy in front of mine to try and remember how many impacts he felt).

I’m really, REALLY suprised Chet got out of his ticket, though. Cops will almost always lie to cover one anothers’ asses after a traffic accident. I know two people who got hit by cops–one rear-ended, and one when a cop turned left in front of him–and the cops lied up and down about what had happened. The guy with the left turn eventually got the city to accept some liability–but he’s a federal judge, so that probably helped.

Hey the next time you post something about how enlightened non-Americans are trying to save the world from some threat or another, can I remind you of your gas-guzzling piece of shit SUV? :twisted:

Outbacks arent exactly SUVs dude.

A Subaru Outback gets around 22city/27hwy, not bad mileage…and it’s not an SUV, it’s a station wagon on steroids (albeit a nice one, if that’s your thing). Not exactly a Ford Behemoth or Chevy Hubris.

Don’t worry. I want to trade it in next year on a Jeep Cherokee Renegade. 3.7 litres of gas guzzling goodness.

Here.

The occupant death rate in SUVs is 6 percent higher than it is for cars–8 percent higher in the largest SUVs.

Government researchers have found that a behemoth like the four-ton Chevy Tahoe kills 122 people for every 1 million models on the road; by comparison, the Honda Accord only kills 21. Injuries in SUV- related accidents are likewise more severe.

Well, my car is a '94 Toyota Camry and the car infront of me was an old Ford or Chevy pickup with the metal hood installed over the bed. Looked like an 80s-style model. I can’t remember if the brake light on it was working or not.

I can’t believe Sean drives an Outback. It’s like, so obvious. Don’t people make fun of you? Or is it a legitimately popular vehicle in Australia?

Make fun of me ? Do Subaru’s have a reputation in the US ? Do tell. And yes Subaru’s are extremely popular here since they are extremely reliable and they are one of the few sedans/station wagons that have All Wheel Drive. There are always waiting lists here in Australia for Subaru’s.

For the record I have owned the following cars : 1965 Austin Tasman, 1984 Suzuki Swift, 1988 Ford Laser, 1994 Toyota Seca, 1997 Jeep Cherokee, and the 1999 Subaru Outback.

I am now looking at getting another new Jeep next year. They still call them Cherokee’s here but I believe the new Cherokee in the States is now called the Jeep Liberty. Why they changed the name I have no idea - I prefer the Cherokee name.

There was probably an American-Indian group which raised their eyebrows at the name. Or worse, they did it in the fear that one day someone somewhere might be offended because it is a slander of his or her proud Cherokee heritage.

Sean,

I think the “Outback” part of the name came into question, due to the fact that you’re in Australia.

(Notice nobody teased you directly… I guess they’re fearful of lawsuits. :-)

The Subaru Outback is the Unofficial State Car here in Vermont, where they handle the winter weather well.

To make the joke even crystal clearer: would you drive a Subaru Yahoo Serious?

Yeah, I am certainly not one to avoid an obvious joke, but I did this one. It was tooo easy.

Sean, do Austrailians not know we refer to the entire continent of Australia as “The Outback”?

Thanks gents. :wink:

Yes we do have an “Outback” but the outback here is rural Australia where us city folks only venture when we go on a holiday and the odd rare occasion when we actually take our 4WD’s (SUV’s) offroad.

I actually didn’t buy the Subaru Outback for its name. I did buy it for the high equipment levels which included two sunroofs and the larger than normal front and rear bumper bars which I believe you call “fenders” in the US.

Some people refer to the Outback here is the “plastic fantastic” due to the lower half being covered in it.

When I think about it the “Outback” name certainly sounds rather funky. I guess the Subaru marketing folks thought they could sell more here in Australia calling it that. In Japan the same model is called the Subaru Legacy Limited.

I think Outback sounds better.

In Japan the same model is called the Subaru Legacy Limited

Yikes, what a wretched name. It sounds like a car that will cut your life off while you’re still in your prime. The Subaru Life’s Work Undone. The Subaru Posterity Interrupted.

It’s like Toyota’s Cressida. What is that, a car that will betray you and then leave you? Don’t those people know their Trojan women or at least read Shakespeare?

-Tom

The best car name I’ve heard so far was the Honda Fitta. Translated (from Swedish) to English it would be something like “Honda Pussy”. Combined with ads like “small on the outside but surprisingly large when you get in” it sounded like a really cool car. They decided not to use the name when they found out unfortunately. It must be hard to find a “neutral” name that doesn’t mean something offensive in some language.

[EDIT]Oops!