Gotham - Fox show about Commissioner Gordon holding out until Batman arrives

We knew about this? Gotham is sort of a Batman: Year One Minus Ten. Bruce Wayne is an adolescent, James Gordon fights corruption in the GCPD, and Gotham’s future bat-villains are just geting their start.

Ben MacKenzie as Detective James Gordon
Robin Lord Taylor as Oswald Cobblepot/The Penguin
Sean Pertwee as Alfred
Zabryna Guevara as Captain Essen
Erin Richards as Barbara Kean, the future Mrs. Gordon

Not cast yet:
Young Bruce Wayne/Batman

Could be interesting, I always found the Jim Gordon stuff in Batman: Year One to be the best part of the story.

So I guess this puts the nail in the coffin of my hope that Southland might get another season.

This was announced back in September, though this is the first I’ve heard of the cast. I’m curious if this will be based on or inspired by, say, Gotham Central; or if Bruno Heller is just doing his own take on things.

On the one hand, you obviously can’t have a Batman show without even a little bit of Batman.

On the other hand, it’s pretty absurd for Gordon to be interacting with Alfred and Bruce at all at this point in their lives, especially since isn’t Bruce supposed to be monking it up in the himalayas or something? Unless there’s a very dramatic coat-giving scene.

So I’ve started seeing the promos for this show and it strikes me that I have no idea why I’d want to watch this show. What’s supposed to be interesting here? If it’s Policeman Gordan vs. Kid Superheroes, you know Gordon’s not going to do any arresting, since all the villains are free when Batman is an adult. So I’m drawn in by seeing 20-something and younger actors portray young Joker, young Penguin, young Poison Ivy, et al? Or am I missing something here? Is it a buddy show between Gordon and Bruce Wayne? Are they throwing out any semblance of continuity (or is this some sort of alternate universe story?).

I don’t get it at all… maybe I just turned into a grumpy old fart without noticing!

I am hoping it is a police procedural based primarily on Gordon. Showing life in Gotham for non-supers. Sure, tangentially it will touch on some of the supers in their youth and yeah, you have to have some reference to Batman or Wayne in Gotham, but I seriously hope all that is pushed firmly to the background as occasional interesting story bits that show Gotham’s evolving history. I think the story of Gordon coming up through the ranks in a Gotham that is descending into rampant crime and criminal conspiracy could be interesting enough in itself. If it puts focus too much on young Wayne and young villains, I think it will be boring.

This makes about as much sense as an Avengers spin-off TV series without the Avengers!

-Tom

Ive seen some clips and it looks like this may be worth watching. It seems like they are going for a noir type series. Its going to be more about the origins of villains and the escalating crime in Gotham than the development of Batman. As long as they dont devolve it into a teen agnst Smallville type series, I think its got a shot.

Nah, Batman has arrested all of 'em dozens of times. A sea sponge could break out of Arkham.

Arkham is the best argument for the death penalty ever made.

What is this I don’t even

Just watched this, and while it didn’t offer any significant surprises, I liked it. The casting was quite good–I even approved of the Young Bruce actor and thought he did a nice job of conveying the intensity Batman would have at that age after passing through his initial grief and shock. We were introduced to too many future Rogue’s Gallery members too quickly, though. Catwoman, Riddler, Penguin, Poison Ivy, and Falcone in just one episode? Overkill, guys.

I just watched it as well, and it was interesting enough to make me watch next week’s episode.

Non-Batman with L.A. Confidentialesque detective Gordon wherein not a whole lot can actually be resolved since virtually all bad guys are untouchable. Sounds a whole lot worse than it was, I just don’t see what’s compelling about the concept.

Non-Batman with L.A. Confidentialesque detective Gordon wherein not a whole lot can actually be resolved since virtually all bad guys are untouchable. Sounds a whole lot worse than it was, I just don’t see what’s compelling about the concept.

I can’t say I understand the point of this show either (other than making money within the confines of a given licence), but not a whole lot was actually resolved in The Wire either. It doesn’t have to be a negative. On a mainstream Fox show, though, it probably won’t lead to great plotting.

From the opinions of reviewers, it sounds like that’s just heavy-handed setup for establishing the setting for people who forgot what show they were watching during the first commercial break, and they probably won’t continue at that pace for the standard procedural type episodes.

Hopefully.

Say rather “unkillable.” They have to survive to join Batman’s Rogue’s Gallery, but they can be dealt temporary defeats and imprisoned. In that, the show is no different than the comic, really.

What struck me as funny was the weirdly ambiguous time period the show takes place in. The cops drive cars from the 1970’s, but have flip-style cell phones. I suppose it’s to make it a little “off” vs. our reality.

Same approach Archer uses, and for the same reasons I think.

Gotham’s always been in a bit of a time-bend that way. Batman:TAS was in a weird alternate universe where art deco never died.