Gotham - Fox show about Commissioner Gordon holding out until Batman arrives

The series concluded in the penultimate episode and the final episode is a 10 year jump into the future. Think of the final episode being like an afterword in a novel.

Watching the finale and amazingly, everyone but Selina looks pretty much the same despite the intervening 10 years!
At least they picked an actress for Selina who looks (facially) a bit like the original one (high cheekbones, eyes somewhat farther apart than normal).

EDIT: And now there’s apparently a spin-off prequel series about Alfred! But… it’s on EPIX, some channel I don’t have.

The finale was probably the best episode of the last couple years. Wish they’d gotten here sooner…

It worked as an epilogue. I’m going to miss this show, I’ve always found it enjoyable. Plus looking at Lee was always a treat.

I’m still baffled by the Selena change. Doesn’t make a lot of sense to have her grow a foot in 10 years, although they look somewhat alike. There had to be some type of contractual issue with the original actress or something.

I had heard at the beginning of the show that we would never see Batman, because they didn’t have the rights. I guess the show was successful enough that they got permission for the last episode.

or maybe disney owns everything now, dont they?

Yeah I don’t think the Selena change was needed, but after Banshee I will never complain about seeing Lili Simmons on any show. :)

A good wrap up all in all. Glad I stuck with it!

At the end of it all, I really enjoyed following The Riddler, Penguin , Bullock, and Alfred from the pretty fantastic pool of people who showed up over the 5 seasons.

The Selena change didn’t bother me and Camren Bicondova was fine with the change herself. I read an article about it and it wasn’t a contractual issue or anything. I guess they felt it was the best way to “age” Selina. The replacement actress worked fine. Still it didn’t seem necessary.
Gotham turned out to be a pretty good series. I am glad that they got to give it its full planned run. They did a pretty good job of casting and there were many above average portrayals of Gotham villains.

Arise thread, I want to seek the wisdom of the hive mind. I tried this show a few years back and watched about half the first season. I burnt out on it hard - too much set up and tease too little actual Dark Knight style content. I actually tried the show two or three times but never got very far.

However I have heard over the years the show got better and had a really strong final season. I also heard the content progressed in the way I had wanted. However I’m not up for starting from the beginning.

So I’m wondering - is there a way to “get to the good parts” -either with a curated list or just starting cold at a later season? If so what is a good starting point?

I just think it is worth watching. I would imagine there are curated lists, but the show is fine straight through. But don’t go in expecting Batman. It isn’t. It is Gotham. The city is the central character.

I appreciate the sentiment but I honestly tried the show 3 times, season 1, and bounced off it. So that’s not going to work. My choices are either to ignore the show entirely, as I have done for years, or give a curated list/later season a try.

I’m leaning towards just firing up Season 4 and seeing that how that is, based on the various articles on point.

One of my favorite shows, I felt season 1 was the weakest. But it did get much much better and the show really is about the villain’s and how they all get started, and their dealings with Jim Gordon and Harvey Bullock , who were fantastically cast imho. The Batman/young BW stuff that is in the show is minimal and meh.

So I just watched the first episode of Season 4 and found it to be quite enjoyable. It’s sufficiently adjacent to the content I want, and the supervillains are sufficiently well developed at this point to be worth watching.

Was that Steve Buscemi’s brother as Merton? I kept looking at his face and saying “Buscemi?”

I also enjoy Donal Logue in almost anything.

It is, indeed, Michael Buscemi!

Remind me of who Merton is again?

I watched the series all the way through as it aired, and the only performance that irritated me was Jada Pinkett Smith’s as whatever villainess she played. I’ve liked her in other roles but I just found her too over the top or something.

Merton is a villain who was in S4 E1, not sure if he shows up further. I’m only 2 episodes into S4 thus far but still enjoying the show. He ran a crew of bank robbers who refused to purchase a license from the Penguin. But his face was making me think “does Steve Buscemi have a brother?” the whole episode and it turns out, yes he does.

3 episodes into Season 4 and I have noticed a pattern: a number of the female characters on this show seem to enjoy wearing loosely buttoned jackets without a bra, or clothing of equivalent display value. Not that I’m objecting mind you, but it’s a distinct look.

I’m not gonna lie. One of the main reasons I’d tune in to the show was to see what Erin Richards was wearing that week.

I really liked Robin Lord Taylor (Penguin) in Gotham. Some of the other villains were also good, but Ben McKenzie (Gordon) was not someone I wanted to watch very much of. As usual, I tend to like the superhero shows more or less based on if the bad guys are at all interesting, and Gotham seems to do reasonably well there.

That might be my argument for watching more of the show’s earlier episodes, in that some of the villains have decent character arcs. There is definitely a lot of fluff in the show though, so a curated list of episodes would probably be a good use of your time.

Once Morena Baccarin joined the cast, I didn’t really notice Erin Richards… :)