Gothic 2 - A Virgin's Guide

Well, you’ve barely started but, honestly, this is part of the Gothic appeal - it’s a real and dangerous world out there and you’re a newbie. I find that aspect exciting; you’ll need to come to grips with that if you’re likely to enjoy the Gothic games.

Stealing is no problem – just make sure you aren’t seen.

Depends on how you define it. In multiple play throughs, I’ve had no trouble with stability, maybe one or two minor quest issues. Clipping, minor graphical artifacts and other minor stuff I don’t pay attention to. I’d say it’s fine.

A few levels more and this will change.

[quite]As for the thieving in the game; is it possible to steal shit and not have people instantly know you took their shit? The first farmer was frighteningly well informed about the disposition of his “Farmers Clothes”.[/QUOTE]
Stealing is usually no problem. Did he see you enter the house or did you wear the clothes when you talked to him?
Sometimes you can “correct” problems with an Oblivion scroll.

I don’t mind the visual artifacts. The thing that burned me about the first game was stability (nothing takes me out of the game world more than constantly worrying “Should I save now so I don’t lose my progress if it crashes”)?

Wow, I’m really liking this game. I fell into it for about 2 straight hours last night. That much gaming in ANY game is remarkable these days.

It’s very hard, though, and it’s taking me a while to get used to not being able to kill very much stuff. I cleared out the bandits on the bridge between Akil’s farm and the Drunken Harpy (tavern in the hills) by getting them to follow me back to the farm. Then there was an archer left who killed me 5 times in a row with two hits. Damn him. I finally remembered I have powerful magic spells and used a fireball to take him far enough down that I could get two hits in and kill him. Definitely stressful, but I felt a real thrill of accomplishment upon taking him out.

It’s hard for me not to hoard magic items and potions, though, so getting used to using EVERYTHING at my disposal to take on random enemies will take some getting used to.

I’m really loving the world-building through dialogue. You need to do a fair amount of talking in the game (which takes some getting used to, too) but the world is coherent and very well put together. People don’t have tons of information, so you often have to talk to several people to get the whole story, but it usually comes together in a satisfying way.

Figuring out how to get XP without being able to grind monsters is hard, so for now I’m taking on every fetch-quest I can get and running LOTS of errands. It’s pretty fun, but it’s REALLY frustrating finding a cave full of goblins and having four of them chase me down the road when I know that I could take them on if there were only three. Grr. Patience, padawan, patience.

I asked this in the G3 thread, but didn’t see any replies, so I’ll ask again: any good Gothic 2 mods out there? Most interested in graphics upgrades to make it less f’ugly and gameplay mods.

there’s a texture pack, but fuck i can find a live link.

I think any fugly-ness you’re experiencing is due to the low-poly world. I think the textures are pretty well done. The main thing that’s funny are the women’s mouths; they seem to pe plastered onto the models heads.

Overall the game is great, and I’m well past the way I felt in the initial 20 minutes (“Ugliosity!”). Funny how good gameplay makes that stuff less important.

I am so in love with the way the character leans into turns. I zigzag everywhere I go.

Here’s all I could find for the texture pack, though the links are behaving very strangely here at work: Texture pack info page. Texture pack designer’s page (with contact info).

And here’s the World of Gothic (good luck) which is filtered here at work due to “adult content”. Aiee!

That texture pack doesn’t strike me as being so much “better” as “different”. Some of the texture pack shots are actually uglier than the original.

Well, the guy who MADE it likes it, and so does his mother! In fact, she thinks it’s the BEST TEXTURE PACK EVER. So there.

I’m telling a friend about G2, and it’s interesting how much talking you have to do. Much of the game, at least in the first 5 hours or so, is found in talking to people around Khorinis. You have to talk to like 3 different people to get the information you need for one quest, all while each of them have their own little stories going on and will potentially recruit you for OTHER tasks. Very involved, and very word-centric. It’s actually pretty great, but takes some getting used to after the combat focus of a game like Oblivion.

And the combat. Herky-jerky. Someone said you actually improve at combat as the game progresses. Is this true? It’s the only real complaint I have with the game so far.

But the leveling/skill-advancement system is interesting as hell. You get REALLY INVESTED in every skill choice you make when each one takes away from ability score upgrades (Str, Dex) that will make you more effective in combat. When your choice is between learning a new potion or getting the ability to do more damage in a fight, you can really sweat the decision.

Absolutely. If you look at your stats, you’ll see a title for your weapon proficiency (novice, apprentice - that sort of thing…don’t remember the exact titles). Once you reach the next level, you’ll suddenly find combat movement is more fluid and controllable and you’ll be able to string hits together into combos.

There’s some good tips about halfway down this old thread.

I’m a little worried by the min/maxing advice in the various FAQs for this game. I definitely intend to focus on 2h weapons (as soon as I find one I can lift!) and increasing my Str, but has anyone got any tips on how to set myself up well for the rest of the early game without totally gimping myself (or worrying obsessively over spreadsheets like the min/maxers would have me do)?

Also, where can I train Lockpicking in the early game? Can I? It sounds like that’s a damn useful skill to have… :)

I think focusing your skill points on Str and 2H weapons early on will guarantee you won’t get gimped (it’s what I did). And if I remember correctly, there’s one lock-picking trainer in Khorinis, and another one near-by …

You’re totally making me want to go back to this game, and I just played through last year.

I found a lockpicking dude (10 LP! Aiee!); he’s the carpenter guy.

Now I’m level 4, have 20% in 1H weapons and Str of 27 (with belt and ring), 3 unused LP, and I’m up at the merc camp. I found a path that leads up to a Bandit camp in some ruins and figured out a way to get all the bandits to fall off the bridge when they’re chasing me and fall to their deaths. Like 7 bandits. It’s great; you hear them go Aiee! and then there’s a thud. 7 thuds.

But the merc camp is sorta hard. Some of the guys are relatively easy to beat up: Their crits only take away about 1/3 of my health, meaning I can use potions if I’m missing lots of blocks. But then the very next dude can 1-shot me. That’s annoying.

Questing in that region is frought with danger, too. There’s Field Raiders EVERYWHERE, and I still have a damn hard time taking one of them down. I think I’ll finish up some of the apprentice quests and do some more of the Khorinis stuff before I come back to merc land.

By far the best thing that’s happened to me was a result of reading one of those quick start min/max guides (just the first part!) where he describes donating a TON of money to the Priest of Innos. For every 50gp you ‘donate’, you get +5 permanent HP boost. After 1000gp, the max he’ll accept, you have 85 extra HP. It’s a great way of evening the playing field a bit. For the first time, I feel like I actually have a chance in the world.

I wrote this small tips guide a while back. It’s everything very useful but nothing constricting or spoilerish.

Edit: oh, I see that’s already been linked. I’m a livin’ legend!

Sounds good. You´ll have to fight a lot to solve enough admission quests to join one of the camps. Lockpicking is okay, but better spend the next couple of level-ups on things relevant for combat.

I found a path that leads up to a Bandit camp in some ruins and figured out a way to get all the bandits to fall off the bridge when they’re chasing me and fall to their deaths. Like 7 bandits. It’s great; you hear them go Aiee! and then there’s a thud. 7 thuds.

On a mountain close the Merc farm? Did you get xp for killling the bandits? Did you find out enough to toggle the dialog with Dexter? The first bandit you´ve met in the game should have told you about him. I ask because at least two nice side quests are tied to this place. So you might have wasted some xp there. Not relevant for the main quest though.

But the merc camp is sorta hard. Some of the guys are relatively easy to beat up: Their crits only take away about 1/3 of my health, meaning I can use potions if I’m missing lots of blocks. But then the very next dude can 1-shot me. That’s annoying.
The mercs are bad ass! And they have the best equipment.
With some practice you can tell who will beat you without actually fighting. Heavy armour is a status symbol in the world of Gothic. ;)

Questing in that region is frought with danger, too. There’s Field Raiders EVERYWHERE, and I still have a damn hard time taking one of them down. I think I’ll finish up some of the apprentice quests and do some more of the Khorinis stuff before I come back to merc land.

Work on the admission quests for all 3 camps simultaneously. Just don´t accidentally join a camp. ;)

For every 50gp you ‘donate’, you get +5 permanent HP boost. After 1000gp, the max he’ll accept, you have 85 extra HP. It’s a great way of evening the playing field a bit. For the first time, I feel like I actually have a chance in the world.
There are more little things like that. You´ll find them out. ;)
The first real achievement is joining a camp. A lot of new opportunities open up.

I’m coming to realize that non-combat stuff is a luxury in the early game. No more LPs for non-combat!

I did a save right before all this which I’ll be reloading precisely because I got no xp. I killed Dexter and found a note which I couldn’t make heads or tails of and realized I’d finished the "Missing People quest without meaning to.

But now I have a question. In Khorinis city I’ve talked to just about everyone I can think of re: the missing people, but don’t know what to do next. I saw something in a FAQ about a dude to the north of the city giving some further info. I think I’ll head up the path to the left of the east entrance and look around, but how am I supposed to know to look for this guy without help from the FAQ?

Does this game just expect you to drop the quest line until you wander around enough to find the guy you need to talk to? Nobody has really pointed me to the north of the city IIRC. One guy mentioned bandits in the lighthouse (which is to the north, I think), but not in connection with any missing people… I be confused.

Indeed! I’ve noticed this, and will be heeding it in the future…

Good to know and will do! It’s good to know I’m not setting myself up for failure, and that I’m not locked in should I choose to just START an initiation quest.

Thanks for the tips!

The bandit close to Xardas´ tower told you that Dexter put a pize on your head. You remember Dexter from Gothic 1, when you´ve freed all the prisoners by removing the magic barrier from the Valley of Mines. You will visit this area again in chapter 2.
This dialog shows one of Gothic´s concepts: You had one chance to talk this guy into telling you what´s going on. Choose a different dialog option and this path is closed and you have to deal with the situation. Similarly, sometimes NPCs will offer you help or demand a decision on something. Expect your choice to be final, even if this means a dead end, in one or two cases. Gothic is closer to Space Quest than Monkey Island. ;)

I don´t really remember the “missed people” quest, but I think it is stretched over several chapters. Sort of the hook for the NotR content. If you think the G2 world is beautiful wait until you see the add-on world. ;)
PB tried to mix the quests up a bit. Some are longer, a few are time limited, others are mutually exclusive. Just open all 3 admission paths and collect 2 pages of quests. It will keep you busy for a while. Do not accept the short cuts some old friends offer you. You want the XP.

I’m actually playing G2 Gold, which has NotR embedded, and is supposed to be a lot harder. Ouch! I think the “Missing People” quest is new to NotR.

And I will do everything I can to max my xp. I’m off to the monastery tonight!