Gothic 2 Night of the Raven: It's Here!

I finally got my English version from Amazon yesterday…installed and up and running with no problems. This is a blast playing through again with many added features and NPC’s; anyone who’s looking for a great RPG and missed this the first time, it’s only 19.99. FYI, they made many improvements, but did not ramp up the specs, so it will play just fine on older systems.
Anyone want to buy a German Language edition of the add-on? :D

Can you please keep me updated on the difficulty? I have Gothic II, and I do want the add-on, but I really hate becoming overly frustrated in a game.

NOTR makes the game more difficult by:

• replacing a lot of the enemies with more difficult enemies.
  • making a lot of the existing enemies stronger.
  • making you work harder to level your character.

…but it’s more than worth it, trust me.

Yeah, definitely take the plunge. I was worried about the dificulty before starting, but it’s all incorporated very naturally, and the new stuff is of as good, or better quality as the vanilla content. It’s integrated really well too; the expansion rounds the whole game out nicely.

Yeah, definitely take the plunge. I was worried about the dificulty before starting, but it’s all incorporated very naturally, and the new stuff is of as good, or better quality as the vanilla content. It’s integrated really well too; the expansion rounds the whole game out nicely.[/quote]

My favorite thing about NOTR is probably how much of the new stuff is just explanation of some of the old stuff. Why is Lares standing around at the docks all the time? What’s the story with the wanted poster? What’s that wrecked trade caravan doing there? Etc. The expansion just adds this great new layer of detail over everything.

So, do you start playing again from the start? And does it fix the horrible control scheme? Is there a feature list somewhere?

Thanks,

M

So, do you start playing again from the start?

Yes, that’s how it works.

And does it fix the horrible control scheme?

Controls haven’t been changed. Did you try out both approaches?

-Julian

You know, I’ve enjoyed the Gothic games more than any other single player CRPG in years, but the fact is that I still really have a hard time keeping my attention level up. I probably didn’t get even half way through Gothic I before quitting, and I probably didn’t get much past halfway in Gothic II.

In comparison, I could easily have finished either game if I’d played it as much as I’ve played WoW since starting two months ago. I guess the MMO worlds just seem more alive and interesting to me. I’ve created an ALT character on a different server in WoW and I’ve already spent 20 hours literally replaying the exact same contect (albeit a different class) in Elwynn, Westfall, and Loch Modan, but the thought of replaying Gothic II (even as a different class) leaves me cold for some reason.

:?

I just ordered Gothic 2 Gold. Should I try to hunt down a copy of Gothic 1 (going for high prices on Amazon) and play that first?

You know, I was kind of looking forward to NOTR, until this thread mentioned that it’s… harder. Gothic 2 was hard enough that I never finished playing it. I’d hate to consider it on a worse difficulty scale.

I wouldn’t.

Gothic I was somewhat less interesting and harder than Gothic II IMO. It would certainly give you the backstory but probably a number of people here could fill you in on that in a PM.

It’s not THAT hard, unless you play a pure mage, and then only because the game witholds the later spell circles to their respective chapters. So if you are like me, and like to explore everything you can before moving the main plot forward, it’s fairly rough. The Paladin and Warrior are quite a bit easier in this regard.

It’s an awesome expansion pack. I played 2/3rds of the way through with out the expansion and petered out for one reason or another. But the Night of the Raven just kept me glued to the screen for the entire duration. It really rounds out the world and conversations, making it almost impossible to consider playing it without.

I’m still tempted to try it. I’m curious though, EB games lists street date as the 22nd. Is that just an EB thing?

I wouldn’t.

Gothic I was somewhat less interesting and harder than Gothic II IMO. It would certainly give you the backstory but probably a number of people here could fill you in on that in a PM.[/quote]

Personally I found Gothic 1 to be superior to Gothic 2 in terms of atmosphere and originality. There were also many more hidden nooks and crannies to explore, which is somewhat odd considering that the game world was geographically smaller than in the sequel.

I’m feeling the same way… I wish there was a laundry list of what was changed, but I liked the original well enough and I’m without an RPG now, so I’ll give it a shot.

That’s just plain wrong. There are far more hidden areas and caches of goodies in G2 than in G1. In fact, I believe this was in response to complaints that G1 had too many places that looked like they should contain something but didn’t.

I thought the original was superior in terms of atmosphere - I think it was hard to match the original idea of an enclosed prison colony and the internal politics. That said, Gothic 2 improves on G1 in almost every other way and presumably TNotR makes it even better.

That’s just plain wrong. There are far more hidden areas and caches of goodies in G2 than in G1. In fact, I believe this was in response to complaints that G1 had too many places that looked like they should contain something but didn’t.[/quote]

Yeah. There were a ton of cool locations in G2 that you could access if you simply looked carefully at the environments and maneuvered around. There were even underwater caves that you had to swim to get into in a few spots.

It is harder, but that’s just a word. In terms of playing the game, it means that the early game is expanded greatly, and that your progress in character level and power has been similarly spaced out. You spend more time feeling like a helpless newcomer in a harsh world of double-hard bastards, and big things that can kill you quickly. It makes it more sweet when you can kick the shit out of them and pay them back for bullying you, which a lot of the worst bullies even acknowledge. It is a bit weird that both games spend a lot of time sticking their thumbs in your eyes, but that’s Germans for you.

Buy the fucking expansion you big girl.

ooooh. He done brought the girl insult.