Gothic -- help!

I just grabbed this from Best Buy for twenty bucks and I was enraged to find that it CAME WITHOUT A MANUAL. I don’t mean it came without a paper manual. I mean it came without a manual, period. [Remainder of paragraph deleted due to excessive profanity.]

Not that it’s horribly difficult to figure out how to play, but I am having trouble figuring out how to pick things up.

Which suggests a question: how do I pick things up?

Hrm, see if something at gamefaqs has a control faq. If I remember you had you press Ctrl-Forward to pick something up that was “highlighted” in the world. The controls are really screwy for this game I’m sorry to say.

Thanks. Yeah, I just realized that the game’s readme file is the “manual.” The controls are listed there.

And yeah, they are screwy indeed.

It’s not so bad once you’ve gotten used to it. Be careful when trading though!

Gothic is very cool otherwise, and a bit darker, in colour, humour and metaphor than its sequel. Make sure you talk to Mud.

Is Gothic a good RPG? Or just a good buy at a low price? It’s selling for $9.99 Canadian at EB.

It’s a good RPG.

Ok, next problem: how do I get this Mud guy to shut up? Gothic seems like a good game and all, but I’m not going to keep playing if it means listening to this knucklehead spout off every 30 seconds.

You’ll figure it out

And its not a peaceful solution

FYI, left mouse button also works as Control key so you can LMB+Arrow to use or fight.

Ok. I’ll take your word for it. I had already tried killing him, but he just kept getting back up (which was truly horrifying and at the same time completely annoying).

Ok. I’ll take your word for it. I had already tried killing him, but he just kept getting back up (which was truly horrifying and at the same time completely annoying).[/quote]

Deal him a finishing blow. Walk up to him on the ground and hit the attack button again. It should impale him.

Are you allowed to do that in town, even with Mud? Murder doesn’t go down well with these guys.

Are you allowed to do that in town, even with Mud? Murder doesn’t go down well with these guys.[/quote]

You’re ALLOWED to do it anywhere - that doesn’t mean it’s always a good idea. People who don’t care if you duel someone will care very much if you then impale said person on the ground. Maybe you should find a more out of the way location.