Gothic I

all mud needs is a good beating

If you don’t want to attack him,just run outside, he will either not keep up,or flee or get killed if a beastie attacks you.Then just don’t get within conversation distance of him at his hut again (if he survived,of course)

Actually if you beat the snot out of him but let him live, he will “get the message” and give you a sniveling speech about how nobody likes him. Then he leaves you alone for the rest of the game.

Thankfully there is no Mud in Gothic 2.

I seem to recall there was a little tribute to Mud in Gothic II, however.

I did the same thing as SpoofyChop. Read all about Gothic II from people all over the net (including here), and immediately ran to buy it. Three stores later, I finally got the idea to ask a clerk about it, only to find out that it’s out in Europe now, and headed here this fall. Damn.

So, I picked up the first one. Unfortunately, my girlfriend is in a RPG mood, so she claimed first dibs. So, I got stuck with Xbox Morrowind while she confiscated the PC. So far, though, she can’t play much, because the bizarrely floaty camera of doom keeps making her motion sick. The camera movement reminds me of Tomb Raider, or that terrible game The Devil Inside; it just floats leisurely along, like it’s in slow motion.

Maybe she’ll give it up, and I’ll get my turn. Must hide her Dramamine . . .

The camera is total crap. It’s the only time I can think of that the camera in a game has made me really disoriented and/or nauseated.

Three stores later, I finally got the idea to ask a clerk about it, only to find out that it’s out in Europe now, and headed here this fall. Damn.
Well, most of the NA people here got it through GoGamer.

Or Emule.

I love the camera!

Am I weird?

:(

Yes*

• Response not based on any knowledge of Gothic, just knowledge of SpoofyChop

Or Emule.[/quote]

Que? What is this magical “GoGamer” or this mysterious “Emule”? I assume that they are internet sites for ordering games, perhaps even importing.

Unfortunately for me, I was out and about, and didn’t want to come home without a game. Just like today, I was out looking at rental videos and didn’t want to come home empty handed, so I rented Solaris. I’ll probably regret it later tonight (my girlfriend won’t regret Clooney’s butt, I’m sure).

GoGamer indeed happens to be an online shop which also features EU imports. Gothic II available for $37 or something like that.

Emule is a client for the Edonkey P2P network. Of course, I wouldn’t recommend warezing such a fine game.

Crappiest control scheme I’ve ever encountered.

Nah. You just have to get used to it. It’s ridiculous, but in the end, it really isn’t that bad.

The crappiest control scheme/interface ever was the putrescent slime of an interface on Star Wars: Rebellion Against Good Design

Just read this review on Gamespot:

It’s quite negative in the beginning. I don’t agree with most of the criticisms, although they’re largely a matter of opinion. They did get one fact wrong though, as the reviewer complains about the lack of an “ingame map.”

This doesn’t make sense…you can buy maps from NPC’s that show your current location and heading when you hit the M key.

How is that not an ingame map?

Maybe the person to review it hasn’t played it long enough. ;) Or he wanted some kind of automap or at least be able to write down notes.

Soulbringer had terrible controls, Gothic is merely unorthodox.

Whoa…that neeevvver happens.

:wink:

Exactamente!

Well, I warezed Gothic II because I had no idea that I could buy it through GoGamer. I’m going to wait for the US Release, and then plunk down my money. I figure by the time it comes out officially in the US, I’ll have forgotten enough that I’ll be able to enjoy another playthrough. However, in principle I agree with JD - this is a fine game, and its creators deserve the money.