Gothic II Gold issues

So these nutty krauts are giving me a run for my money. Based on the recs in this very forum, I got the GII package with NOTR on disc 4. I installed the whole thing v1, ran disc 4 separately, without a hitch. Then I tried to open the program, and nothing.

So I buckled down and read the READMEYOUIDIOT, and found that it asks me to close all background apps. So, on my 4000$ brand new laptop, 2g’s of ram, P4, etc, I closed Kaspersky AntiV, Kasp AntiH, Adaware…and still I open the program and nothing.

I go to the krazy website, see the mishmash of issues, download some part that needs to be replaced if startup time is excessively long.

Nothing happens.

The process manager shows Gothic2 running at 17000 to 19000 RAM, 48-50cpu, and still, over a long timeline, nothing happens.

What is the deal? Am I on crack? Vampire Bloodlines 1.8, the only other game I’ve played, ran flawlessly the first time, every time. So what the h is going on? Any help would be much appreciated, I’ve got Christmas leave coming up and any help surviving my inlaws via videogames would be much appreciated.

ZE GERMANS ARE COMING!

Try the crack. You’re having a problem with either the zany virtual filesystem the game uses, or the copy protection. Don’t be afraid of trying to use the crack that’s supposedly for the (a) German version, either, because all the English goodness is in other files. Gothic 2 is quite resiliant when using random versions of the executable.

worth a shot. I’ll see how it goes. Were you able to run it with antiv and such still on?

Yes, I use AVG antivirus, MS Antispyware and the SP2 firewall. I’ve got the UK version of Gothic 2, with the “European” version of NotR (both are originals), and using the German V2.6 NotR crack. It all works fine.

This is hopeless. Rpgdot.com has like page long instructions for a version that I am not even sure is mine. I feel like some kind of gimmicky pirate wannabe, like I deserve these kinds of issues as if I had stolen the damned thing.

I can’t even get the 2.6 crack to dl properly, it says it is complete and then doesn’t unrar. This game makes me wonder if we’ve made any progress at all in transatlantic relations, or if this is some sort of bizarre vengeance.

The crack is 1.8 megs, I can email it to you if its not downloading properly.

I don’t know if you mean the only game you’ve installed on that machine, or the only game you’ve ever played, but either way it’s pretty unforgivable.

Gothic 2 Gold is giving me trouble too, though at the hardware level. The expansion disc is giving me I/O errors just as it’s hitting the end of the install even though the disc surface is pristine, and it does this on three different machines.

I’ve even written a primitive CD-ripping program that’ll retry block reads until it succeeds, and it’s recovered a lot of them that way, but it’s stuck on one block in particular now. Looks like the disc will probably get to take a trip to Austria…

Edit: Actually, now that I’ve taken a closer look at the CD, it looks like the disc was slightly off-center when it was ‘cut’. The slightly-shinier outer ring past the data area is present on one side, but narrows down to absolutely nothing on the opposite side, so the data I’m trying to read probably isn’t even physically present on the disc – it got sliced off!

I don’t know if you mean the only game you’ve installed on that machine, or the only game you’ve ever played, but either way it’s pretty unforgivable.[/quote]

Yeah, my blood ran cold to see that sentence.

The only instructions we have that I am aware of is for slicing and dicing an English version of G2 together with a German or other EU version of NotR. You have the new Aspyr published NA Gothic II Gold, right? It should just work out of the box.

World of Gothic has two small batch files to install the games from HDD (or CD without the standard installer).

Copy the listed files into a directory of your choice, the correct .bat also, modify the path near the top of the .bat and install.

This should get the game installed but it doesn´t bypass the CP-check at startup. If it doesn´t work you have a defective CD.

edit: Works with the German version, confirmed once with the Aspyr version.

What can I say? DQVIII is a full time job. Or was.

That is terrible. If it makes you feel any better, it works about as badly when the discs are ok, anyway.

Would the crack work even with the Aspyr 2.7 NOTR (as it appears after install) version?

I haven’t had the issues mentioned above, but I do have an odd case of the game’s autorun believing it’s not installed (autorun wants to install the game again). I can run the game just fine from the All Programs menu (or other shortcuts), but, interestingly, the target is the LOG file, not the executable. Still, it runs fine, although I hate having to copy over the gothic.ini file before every start up to keep the resolution set at 1680x1050 (all other settings are fine).

It’s certainly an odd installation and has wonky startup issues, but it’s otherwise fine. Hope you can find a satisfactory fix for the above problems. At least I can get into the game.

I noticed the same unusual target, and the same lack of install detection. BUt whether I open it from All Programs, from the game folder directly (Gothic 2.exe), or from the Autorun prog inside the NOTR disc, it still fails to actually do anything other than run an imaginary prog. Also, just for fun, if I have Antivirus running, it will give me a “hook” error and refuse to even begin that odd simulacrum of a startup.

It’s certainly an odd installation and has wonky startup issues, but it’s otherwise fine. Hope you can find a satisfactory fix for the above problems. At least I can get into the game.

I really don’t understand how this step of a game’s design can be a technical challenge.

Ahh, astalavista comes through on the fourth mirror…The game works just fine with a nocd crack, it seems, in this case the German NOTR 2.6. The game remains in English, it’s just the installer that is all like “ACHTUNG! Essensie mein scheisse!” and stuff.

Thanks for all your help, and i apologize for being such a spaz.

“ACHTUNG EIDECHSENKÖNIG IST DOOF!”

Und doofen ist ihr. SEHR doofen.

ANYHOW…

Interestingly enough, the game seems to have no dialogue responses, now. Unless I am missing something really basic, now, when I speak to Xardas at the beginning, nothing happens after I click a dialogue option other than the option disappearing from the list. Like, there’s a little flicker while presumably the response should show up, and then the menu shows up again minus whatever option I selected. I guess I declared victory a little too soon.

Oh yeah, the dialogue. Try this:

Go into your Gothic2/work/Data/Scripts/Content/Cutscene and rename OU.DAT to OU.BIN and OU.lsc to OU.csl.

Make a backup of the directory first, just in case!

And you’re stationed WHERE, again?
Working for whom?

Sorry, couldn’t resist the irony.

And you’re stationed WHERE, again?
Working for whom?

Sorry, couldn’t resist the irony.[/quote]

I knew one of you would take the bait.

Will do. Thanks a million.