Gothic II newbie first thoughts

There is a way around if you don’t want to fight them, look closer :)

I’d also add that I’m one of those who did not like Morrowind (I found it impressive, but the generic nature killed it for me as well), but I loved Gothic 2.

After a couple of hours I can say the what annoys me is that this game doesn’t handle hitting more then one key very well. In most games, if you hit forward and right at the same time, you r character will run forward and right. Not so in gothic. When you press forward you can’t ready a weapon. A bit confusing and I died many times on account of this.

I had to fight two guys at once even the other way. Still, I had no real problems with them. I even killed a couple of spider looking things. I used a fireball to kill one of them. I had no more mana after that and had to fight the other with a stick. I switched to Gothic 2 settings because I thought they would be better. Should I switch back to Gothic 1? Why, in my manual (European) does it show the lock-on moves and such if they aren’t available in the newer scheme? The manual and interface are VERY hard to figure out, IMO. A quick tutorial wouldn’t have hurt, for those of us who didn’t play the first game.

Finally, why can’t I stay in FP mode during combat? I find it MUCH easier to walk around in FP, but then when combat comes it switches me back. Should I just get used to walking around in 3rd person?

I’ve been playing Gothic I after beating Gothic II and man is it completely different. Gothic I is MUCH more frustrating to control than II mostly because of the way you have to pick things up and deal with your inventory.

Gothic II, however, is my favorite game I’ve played this year.

I’m starting to see the addictive aspects of this game. I was helping out a farmer near town by going to a nearby merchant for his wife. On my way back (it was night), I saw a wolf on the path. I pulled out my club and got ready for a fight, but it started moving AWAY from me. Then it sped up. I chased after it, thinking I could get some easy xp. Then I noticed what it was doing. It had seen a sheep and was chasing after it! I saved the sheep, and suddenly felt VERY immersed in this world. I’m looking forward to playing later today (after the major NFL games).

Remember you’re weak at the beginning…the wolf will knock your health down till you’re character level improves. You should go back to the castle and sleep for the nite in order to regain health…then you should be able to take out the gobbies in a try or two.

Perhaps a bit off-topic, but can someone give me a rough estimation as to how this game would perform on a system consisting of: P3 1GHz, 512MB RAM and a GeForce 4 ti4400?

Mind you, I played Morrowind with this system and it played well enough. I probably got on average 20 - 25fps. The Bloodmoon expansion ran like a complete dog though. :?

~20 fps will generally suffice for non-twitch games… for me anyway. Man, I really do need to upgrade though.

You’ll be fine with that, because you have the all-important 512mb RAM. Gothic 2 eats RAM for breakfast, and it’s by far the most important requirement. I played it through twice on an AMD 750, 512mb, GF3TI200 and it was more than playable, except in the city, where there’s obscene amounts of geometry being churned. Hotkeys F1-F4 set the view distance, for those inconvenient seconds-per-frame moments. You may also have to turn off the music, which in this game seems to eat up a lot of FPS worth of CPU time.

I’m holding off replaying it on my new AMD 2800XP/ATI 9800/1Gb rig until the expansion is released in the Queen’s English.

Perhaps a bit off-topic, but can someone give me a rough estimation as to how this game would perform on a system consisting of: P3 1GHz, 512MB RAM and a GeForce 4 ti4400?

This is my exact setup(right down to the ti4400). It performs very nice, only some drop in frame rate in the city, but nothing to fret about.

BTW (Spoiler?)

What is it with randalph and the other guy in the drinking match. I took away his gin and replaced it with water, and now they have been drinking for a whole day without an end. Do I have to do anything else to help randalph or just wait?

You wait. And wait. They’re both hardened drinkers, so their competition lasts a while :)

I think it’s 24hrs of game time. You’ll know when it’s over because the innkeeper will meet you outside the entrance.

You wait. And wait. They’re both hardened drinkers, so their competition lasts a while :)

I think it’s 24hrs of game time. You’ll know when it’s over because the innkeeper will meet you outside the entrance.[/quote]

I hope they both die.

Yeah, make sure you talk to the innkeeper first when completing the quest…it seems necessary before you talk to the drink cheater (can’t remember his name) and collect your $$$$ and experience points.

Funny, but my man lost. I swaped the gin for water and he still lost. I also got a question. Do I need to increase dexterity as a fighter? There is no way to know what difference strengh and dexterity upgrade play with the damage I deal.

Do I need to increase dexterity as a fighter? There is no way to know what difference strengh and dexterity upgrade play with the damage I deal.

I got the impression that strength & dext only affected which weapons you could use. I boosted my dext quite a bit (as a Paladin) so I could use the best crossbow – of course, it turned out I almost never used it. It seemed that the weapon and your skill are what mattered.

Doesn’t the strength stat say that it affects damage? It says that in the manual. I don’t know if that affects bows though.

Attributes have a HUGE affect on weapon damage – they are not just thresholds for accessing better weapons.

To be honest I wouldn’t even pump up dex. You can find enough dex potions and jewelry to get to 100+. The best ranged weapon in the game is the dragonhunters crossbow at a 85 dex req. and 100 damage. As a paladin I would train up 2-handed and strength, of which there are a few tricks to doing, and let dex rise naturally. Unless of course you wanna pick pocket really well, then go for 20-30 trains in dex. I’m babbling.

Yep, now that I’m home and can check the manual I see I was clueless.

Any suggestions on how much to buff a mage? I want to play again as a mage, but i’m not sure how far to go with the combat skills before I start pumping mana. I’m guessing that for the first dozen levels or so I’ll be stuck clobbering things – at least till I join the guild. Should I stick with a bow and get used to ranged attacks?

I just finished as a 6th circle mage with low Master one handed and about 85 strength. Mana was at about 200.

Let me just take an aside to say that I love some of the spell effects in Gothic II. The wave of death animation is particularly satisfying - the way you create an orb of different colored fire in each hand, and then smash them together, puts one in the mind of an antimatter explosion.