Gothic, Risen... ELEX

Why do you think they’re not getting their own damn converter parts?

I just want to thank @Timex for taking the time to write out detailed reports from the game. I really appreciate these. Keep 'em coming everyone. I love these posts that focus on the small picture experiences in the game, without giving away any big picture spoilers.

Elex made you cold. Or did it?

Yeah, I ran into that last night. It really sucked that it also started with a cut-scene. I wasn’t even near them, just trying to climb up the converter when I was teleported to the cut-scene. I just sprinted away, and luckily some of those mutant dogs engaged them and I got away. I made my way up the domed city by sneaking and avoiding just about everything since it all seemed like instant death.

I kind of thought that might be it, but the reason I gained or lost coldness seemed to have no relation being good or evil. Like agree to go into the ruin, you get colder. You got rid of the bandit, you get colder. You said you were unsure of weather or not to join the berserkers, you get warmer. ???

Ill get a lot more into this over the weekend. I hope I get significantly more powerful soon because I want to explore this world, but its all full of instant death.

I drank a small elex potion and it gave me 100 xp. I have no idea if there are any side effects. It didn’t say anything about me getting colder after drinking it.

Funniest thing I’ve in a while.

That looks like Witcher 2 to me. ;)

People at work are wondering why I’m laughing so much right now.

I’ve only just realised how melee works :/

I thought you had to hit a very specific rhythm to build a combo. But queuing attacks works just as well. And the reason I get a flashing green exclamation mark on screen is because they know they’ve put the stamina bar miles from the combo meter, so I have no hope of watching both ://

I’m going to learn to play before passing judgement.

I don’t believe Elex makes you colder.

You get colder through conversation choices. They are usually the choice that is less empathic than others.

The whole setup of the game is that elex makes you emotionless…

I doubt those potions will affect “cold” as they seem a stat boost mechanic similar to the Hero’s Crown plants in Risen. Having them also force Cold increase would be bad because then you couldn’t get the stat boost without shifting your intended character style in one direction. Plus every time there’s a cold change it notifies you in-game. But maybe the bigger potions do, because as @Alistair says that’s the whole conceit? I haven’t tried… :)

Small Elex drinks will give you xp and bigger ones give attribute and stat points. Don’t use the small ones as you can combine them into bigger ones (with chem skill); I’d say stat points are more valuable than XP increase. You can also get a recipe in Golieth.

For those struggling with combat, do you have a companion? I’d say the game is (somewhat) balanced around taking one.

For well you know that it’s a fool
Who plays it cool
By making his world a little colder

Weirdly Metacritic has the PC and PS4 versions at 74 and 55 respectively. Is that due to different expectations from differing crowds, or is the PS4 version not a good one?

It’s growing on me I think.

Well @Razgon’s scathing views were based on playing the PS4 version. But I have little doubt he’d hold similar opinions if playing on PC (maybe the graphics are a little less horrid).

I’m on the PS4, and it seems ok to me.

Razgon’s European. He’s supposed to love clunky RPGS :)

I’ve uninstalled the game now, otherwise I’d record my first 15 minutes for you guys, but seriously - its horrible. When the guy crashes in his ship, you look down upon, and see three rocks doing texture pop-ins, one after another - Graphically, I Was reminded about Jedi Knight on the PC - you know, that kind of textures. Jumping down looked weird, no jumping up, the “climb” button only appearing you turned yourself correctly, the dialogue making absolutely no sense, and then in that insane 1980 computer game voice - it was just all too much. I died in the first village, after having helped someone kill monsters, when my last swing hit the one I was helping, and he immediately killed me - to the sound of the guy peeing 100 feet away.

I don’t mind clunky, or old school - I LOVE Divinity 2, which is pretty damn old-school. This is just poor craftmanship all the way around.

55 on Metacritic sound right - but I AM happy you guys are enjoying it. It was just an immense letdown for me, seeing the quality of games we are used to on the PS4.

So are there any ini hacks yet to push out the view distance on PC? I’ve got the game on ultra settings but the fog is still a bit too close for my liking. It doesn’t seem to look as good as the publicity screenshots.