Gothic, Risen... ELEX

I consider this a beta game. The game balance is totally borked.
For example, does anyone find ranged weapons are actually good against anything that has a skull marking (which is like 97% of all mobs in the game)? I had a bow and shooting most skull monsters would barely damage them. Then I got a laser rifle which does 36 damage a shot. I can unload a clip into a monster and barely hurt it. However, my chain-lighting spell which does 40 points of damage, takes a visible chunk of health out of the monster.

It seems that ranged weapons are just for trash mobs and are useless against everything else.

Also, the Berserkers suck. I did a shit-ton of quests for them and the head asshole read a giant list of accomplishments and then says, “You need to do more.” So , fuck them. I go to the clerics and they are like, “Solve our drug problem and you are in” Number of quests needed? 2. One of them is totally non-combat, and in fact they both can be.

I have not done anything with the outlaws, so I can’t comment on them.

Anyway, if someone understands why ranged weapons suck and how to fix it, please let me know.

Combat in this game is about two things:

1. Training two mobs on each other so they kill each other.
  2. Standing on some kind of perch out of harms way casting spells or shooting things.

Melee combat = death.