Gothic, Risen... ELEX

FWIW I haven’t found that to be true. But it’s not really possible to know if a skull guy is a “hard no” or not without trying. Best case scenario I have found is they can 2-3 shot me but if I am timely with dodges and my companion and I keep whacking away we can kill them reasonably quickly (say 5-8 batches of stamina of attacks, depending on a variety of factors including how hard the companion is derping in melee). Also, this has clearly been dependent on my character progression and also monster type. I have killed single forlorn before (always skulled) but if there are two then it usually doesn’t go well.

I’m level 14. I may or may not have made it impossible to join the Berserkers, which was my original plan. This is. . . unfortunate I guess. I keep reading you have to join someone and while I hate all 3 factions I hate them the least (primarily because of the one warlord). Well actually I just wanted to do magic. But I do like the one warlord who isn’t a stuck up ass-hole. That said, I’m not getting credit for a few quests (the missing Elex, which is because of how I resolved itl; the converter parts, but I feel I ought to be getting credit even though I let that one dude take some parts back). And then I had to murder a quest giver (well, h e attacked me first, but I was strongly considering killing him before this). There just aren;t really quest opportunities anymore. I mean I can bring Drog a beer but he’s a dick so I don’t think I want too. And I can kill Stormson but I don’t want to because Angrim is an even bigger dick.

So I have to decide who I hate less: the brain-washing Clerics and their bullshit religion or the might-makes-right terri-bad outlaws. This is kind of a bummer, because philosophically I do like that the Berserkers are spreading World Hearts and repairing the land. Although I am sort of prepared to discover the Hearts are going to start spawning triffids to kill all fleshlings or something.

The combat is sadly clunky although I was more annoyed by Gothic and Risen back in the day. At least I remember being more annoyed. The stat requirements on things seems nonsensical; I’ve been watching someone stream who is going cleric/ranged build and some high level ranged items have crazy strength requirements (higher even than the dex requirements) even though Dex is the ranged stat. I see the reverse on some melee weapons.

I do like the world and setting. But it seems like most of the Cleric/Outlaw quests are in places that are too difficult for me still (at 14), so I’m running low on quests do do (I’ve done almost all of Abessa it seems).

That might be it, Ill have to check. I do have a +5 dex ring on. The UI just showed that everything was green. Next level Ill dump 5 into dex and see what happens.

PeaceDog:
I also tried to join the berserkers, and found it impossible. I did a ton of quests for them, and they kept saying I have not done enough. I swear, if my accomplishments were on a scroll, when the unrolled it, it would roll out the door.

There was one NPC who was telling me the story of another, and said, and So-in-so helped defend the seedlings from mutants and was promoted on the spot. In fact, if you go to the seedlings, they will be attacked by mutants and you can defend them, just like the other guy. Only, it still will not be enough to join the berserkers. They are also total dicks.

If you want to be a mage type, join the clerics. Their psi-magic is awesome. I love the black hole spell. You also can have a plasma rifle, and they will not bitch each time you open your map / inventory / etc… Yes, their religion thing kind of sucks, but al the factions have their sucky parts. None of them are really the good guys.

Clerics 4 lyfe

The only faction I connected with where the outlaws all due to Ray and Rat. You are a despicable asshole anyway. But Clerics where a close second due to weaponry, PSI and actually researching stuff. But the preaching was a bit much for me.

Hearing you guys talk about this reminds me so much of a Gothic I, where pretty much all the npcs were despicable. What a great game.

Well, this is a Gothic game for all intents and purposes in the end. Just a new setting. And from the looks of it they already hinted at what a possible sequel or expansion may be about from a mission I just finished. Let’s hope for the best. I don’t know what it is but their games always get me. May be time to finally play Gothic 3 after this.

Yeah, you can safely give that one a miss. It’s by far their worst game.

The way I figure it, I’m gonna join the clerics and eventually reform their religion, since they’re clearly just worshiping some defunct corporation that existed just prior to the impact.

Also, I’m pretty sure that the impact is just some ship they made to get rid of radioactive material, and it crashed.

Maybe I should put spoilers around that? I’ll do that. Bear in mind though, I don’t actually know it’s the case, merely speculation after playing for a few hours.

Yea, there are a ton of hints around that something is off about how we the people remember the past. I hope it will pay of at some point.

Fascinatingly, I saw some complaints on Reddit saying something similar. There was speculation that in fact only certain quests actually mattered, and I must have failed one of those (although apparently if I kill Stormson that might be enough, I don’t want to). I think I will join the Clerics. That way I can feel good about murdering Angrim once I figure out how to do it.

Everyone take this with a grain of salt, or if I missed this upthread sorry, but some Reddit spading suggests stats don’t actually do anything beyond serve as requirements. The descriptions suggest otherwise, but the thread starter said in his testing differences in strength did not impact melee damage. And they should: armor is flat reduction so once you are hurting something piling on more ability to hurt them should be difficult.

This is very disappointing, and hopefully a bug. It’s Piranha Bytes and they usually do patch a good deal if memory serves (memory stops at Risen, mind) so there’s that.

Give G3 a chance. It is flawed, but with community patches it is quite good. Myrtana in particular is worth playing.

Started playing this… and I really like it, so far. First hour or so. The world is pretty and full of stuff to loot. The characters are believable and with a personality and a purpose. It seems a game rooted in reality, despite being about magic, and supertech and mutants and that stuff. Looking forward to learn more of the game.

Holy shit, this sounds like a disaster.

So how do you do spoiler tags?

Lol John Walker… I gave his review 1 minute of my time but found it a disaster so moved on.

Just put the word spoiler in brackets to start, and then the world spoiler preceded by a slash in brackets when you’re done. Like so:

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

-Tom

You can also use the “details” tag.

Like so:

[details=click me][/details]

Here’s the same thing with something in between starting and ending tags:

click me

Insert Spoilers here that can’t be read unless people click

Does anyone know what the bonus to general skills does? IE: In the charisma tree, you can get +1 crafting skill. What does that do? Is it like +1 to all skills? IE: 3/3 of trophy becomes 4/3?

I also found an amulet that gave me +1 to experience hunter. A mob that gave 60 xp, then gave 63. So that skill is totally not worth it. This means there are plenty of worthless skills in the game.

Maybe your overall skill level is based on how many skills in that area you have, e.g. Combat 3, but a bonus like that just gets added to the top line without affecting underlying skills. Seems more likely :)