Gothic, Risen... ELEX

Yesterday I found my first flaw in the game.

Talking with a gang leader started a fight, that I lost. So I reloaded the game, I pulled this boss from far, then have my friend kill him. Ok. The other bandits are not hostile to me by default. Weird. I kill one and the others don’t care. Then I kill each one and nobody raise a hand to defend their friends. It seems that outside of triggers, the game AI is not very dynamic.

What are you talking about?

I am no longer having issues with combat being too difficult. I am level 18 and I just upgraded my laser rifle to do 76pts a shot. I tested on one of those battle robots, and 3 bursts and the thing was dead despite being a “skull” level. I also use the black hole power which not only does some serious damage, but also has good crowd control effects.

I am liking the game so far, but it is seriously flawed. There are lots of a annoying UI issue, stats do not matter other than qualifying you for gear or skills, and some skills, if not many of them are bugged. For example, I just bought battery level 2 which is supposed to increase my psi pool. I do not think it did anything. When I bought level 1, my psi meter suddenly got an empty chunk of space in it. When I bought level 2, that didn’t happen. Of course since we have no actual numbers for things, who can be sure?

There is one thing however, they have mastered and should be ported to every game that has companion NPCs. This tech, which seems to elude every other game out there prevents NPCs from blocking doorways. I have never been trapped in a room or wanted to go through a door and could not, because the NPC is just standing there. Even if they happen to be standing in a door way, they will get out of the way if you want to use the door.

Few things make me as happy as diving into some deep canyon and seeing my berserker buddy follow me down on his illicit jetpack.

Be warned. I’m de-lurking for once just to tell that I’m wholeheartedly enjoying this wonderful RPG :-) Wasn’t it for you guys talking about it … I’d have skipped this one like I did with every other supposedly clunky, awkward PB game since G2 (acutally G1; my pc couldn’t run G2). But now I even feel compelled to take sides and advocate this game as my potential GOTY.

What I feel this games does really different is the approach to the gameworld:
It is truly meant to get known - not like learning about some nice lore or reading well written stuff/npcs or looking at beautiful scenery with super atmospheric weahter effects etc. No, it’s more sort of a confrontation. You have to deal with inhospitable places where guys lurk that kill you on sight, you have to deal with the dangerous travel routes and all the semi-likable people with all their dubious things to say that will “find you odd” if you dont say what they want to hear.

I will even say: I like the game’s writing. The simplicity, the goofiness, the B-movie attitude sometimes…maybe the game world comes to life (and that it isn’t all polished and pleasing is actually helping here) because it has purpose, is meaningful: these strange people, the ongoing world/life - (at the beginning) that all is much more relevant than you. And so it starts: It’s you vs. the gameworld. It’s more like ‘conquest’ than theme park. At least that’s my impression so far. I like that concept.
(An the world is very nicely built. Until yesterday I wasn’t aware of the questmarkers. I really had a great time discovering NPCs and quest locations on my own. This one time when I jetpack-climbed this giant converter out of curiosity, sun going down, and I found a potential sidekick on top of it… what a delight!)

As a side not: Maybe everybody should play the game with german voice pack and subtitles to get the real deal ;-)

I mean, indie developers are so uppity if they expect the same 7/10 to 9/10 review scores as other much less ambitious AAA products.

Is there any way to switch language?

Edit the ConfigDefault.xml. Change the values in VoiceLanguage and SubtitleLanguage.

Supposedly some people are seeing a very good deal to snag Elex from twitch. For me in the U.S., I’m not seeing it, but if you are elsewhere, you may be able to get it for less than $12.

My adventures in this land continue. The map is really large.

I paid attention to the quests for the first time. Is probably a game that want to be played following the quest. Makes sense if you consider in a gothic game you get like 2XP for a kill and 200XP for a quest. I am still with the starting axe, but now I have pants and can use a plasma rifle, yay!.

I got the game for free but debating installing. Do you have to use magic to be successful? Never did like playing finger wagglers.

Nope.

Life is a bummer without pants.

Be an outlaw, and you can just make guns and do drugs.

I think the trick is ranged damage in whatever form vs melee. There are many fights I can easily win with ranged where I think would be suicide with melee. It is mostly something like me on a building raining down death from above with a laser rifle or perhaps some “magic” with my psi abilities.

Does anyone know how well the resistance skills work? I am getting to the point where there are no new skills that seem particularly good to take and was thinking it would be nice to highly resistant to some attack types, if those skills actually deliver that.

For example, if I max radiation resistance, can I explore irradiated areas?

Thanks, worked for me (I’m in the UK). Forget my huge backlog of games, I’m gonna play me some of this.

I like the scale of this game. Like some ruins can be kinda huge

I am playing a good guy, and my companion is evil. I may end losing him if I don’t do some wrongdoing soon. He specially hate when I give money to hobos.

15 years, marriage, 4 jobs, emigration, and I’m still getting my ass kicked by Scavengers.

No idea. I want to explore this myself. I did my customary restart and everything is going well (just hit level 11 iirc).

Reddit was having arguments about the bonus attribute points skill and how it cost to much in terms of attribute requirements. But they sort of missed the larger point. If there are other good skills or gear that require that same combo of stats or higher, then it makes sense to drop a skill point into it at some point (and ditto each additional threshold). E.g. the first level of the companion buff skill - which I’ve heard tell is pretty good - has the same stat requirements. So if you’re going to get the companion booster, get the first level in attribute points thereafter.

The devs have announced that attributes do in fact matter but by a “miniscule amount”. Which begs the question: why bother? Why not have lower attribute requirements on everything and then just make elex potions rarer (and attributes more interesting). But whatever. For anyone who didn’t know apparently all sunglasses give +10 armor as a hidden bonus (this is a lot at the start of the game).

The fact that sunglasses highlight loot is key. Well worth it.