Gothic, Risen... ELEX

Not everything is a joke all the time.

I am interested in this, however, considering the last 2 risen games, Ill definitely want to wait and see. The original risen was decent, but risen 2 was bad and risen 3 was awful.

Ask your doctor if Elex is right for you. Women who are pregnant or menstruating should not take Elex. People with heart, kidney, or liver disease should consult a physician before starting Elex. Do not drink alcohol while taking Elex. If bleeding from the mouth, ears, or rectum occurs, stop taking Elex immediately and seek emergency treatment.

Hahahaha, man oh man, that’s way too on the nose.

You go Girl!

There was not one single jank in Gothic 1 & 2!

I prefer not seeing the whole game world within a quarter mile. Reminds me too much of a theme park.

That said, I hope the gameplay and story are great, because the art direction is not the best.

Art direction is what worries you? How about combat and animations that look like they were pulled from a game that came out in 2001?

(if it’s anything like Risen 3 I’ll play it anyway, lol)

I haven’t had the opportunity to spend much time with the recent Risens, and would like to go back and spend more time with Gothic 3 (which obviously did have more than its share of jankiness, but also was impressive in some ways, especially for the time), but I’m still going to spend some time with ELEX and may even line up a review gig.

It saddens me that PB hasn’t evolved as a developer to the same extent as its one-time competitors/peers (compare CDProjekt’s development since W1, while Gothic 2 was superior IMO in many ways to its closest peer, Morrowind), but I still love what they do and the fact that they remain somewhat hardcore in their content and design choices is charming- almost like Robert E Howard-ish pulp in a time of more sophisticated GRR Martin-ish fantasy dramas.

Yeah, this is a shame. When I played the first Gothic, I thought it blew away Morrowind in so many ways.

Gothic 2 with the NotR expansion, for me. I loved Morrowind’s ambience, but Khorinis and Jharkendar were such densely packed, interesting worlds.

Animations are art direction.

I’m sure the art director didn’t say “Now make these animations wooden and unconvincing! Like they’re circa 2001, that’s the look we’re going for here…” :)

Well, the animation director had to sign off on things at some point.

Some combat-heavy gameplay. Obviously not state of the art, but good enough for me I expect.

They could have at least put up a 60fps video. That 30fps looks reeaaallll stuttery in those slow rotations, and I’m not sure if it’s Youtube - or the game. :P

But the Risen games ran quite well so I expect it will most likely be fine.

The combat looks similar to those games too, which was kind of a clunky Dark Souls-lite. Though I didn’t see any counters, much blocking, or any dodging outside of the roll. The person playing was having trouble aiming too. ;)

Overall I wish they’d taken it a bit further, as it still looks quite fantasy with a bit of sci-fi skin, like they just stuck a few burned-out buildings and some mechs in there and gave you a jetpack.

Still, even though I sound a bit negative the Risens have consistently been some of my most-played games so I’m keen to give it a go!

It looks interesting enough that I wish it was / hope it is good.

I thought it was funny how they did a quick cut every time it looked like he was about to die. Haha!

They have been putting out faction trailers:

Here’s the third for any other interested parties:

Still looks like Gothic doesn`t it? The fgactions are not great, I would not like to play with any of them as far as I can tell from the trailers. Clerics are Race purists, Outlaws homicidal egomaniacs and the the Berserkers look like Fantasy warriors. Probably will wait till reviews are in.

With this company, those are wise words. While I am interested in this title, I have low expectations. I do not expect particularly good reviews. I expect that if, in the long run turns out decent enough, Ill buy it on a super steam sale.

I would like to be wrong, however, for them to knock the ball out of the park and for it to be really worth full price.