Gran Turismo 5 players will be getting a gentle nudge to upgrade soon

Title Gran Turismo 5 players will be getting a gentle nudge to upgrade soon
Author Nick Diamon
Posted in News
When December 27, 2013

If you like Gran Turismo 5 multiplayer, you'll need to upgrade to Gran Turismo 6 before May 20th, 2014. That's when Sony is turning off the multiplayer servers for that game..

Read the full article

Curse you EA and your "challenge everyt--". Wait. Sony?!?

Ug. I am not a fan of the less than brave new gaming world where my purchases have a shelf life. Sure I may not have played them in a while, but the online components are huge in modern games and sometimes even the whole game (we will pour one out for you poor MAG). I still have boxes of old discs as from time to time I like to reinstall and play the older games that I own.

But I guess that's it isn't it? I don't really own them and now services are making that clear. Is $60+ a reasonable price point for a rental that will self destruct in a year or three though? My recent balking at buying Dark Souls (with GFWL) for $5 would seem to suggest no. Solid game for sure, but I felt Demon's Souls was not the same game when the ghosts, messages, summoning, and fear of invasion all went away.

Boo! Hiss!

GT5 will still be perfectly playable without online multiplayer. And it's foolish to think online multiplayer used to be eternal for console games prior to this "brave new world." They've always been dependent on companies' servers. I guess you are referring to old school PC/mac games like Marathon, where you could direct connect to people? Whatever.

Clearly you don't play many pc games, because there are plenty of modern pc games that offer dedicated servers or direct connection. PC MASTER RACE.

You lost me at "if you like Gran Turismo 5 multiplayer". Gran Turismo 5 has multiplayer? And if so, there are people who like it? INCONCEIVABLE!