Grand Theft Auto: Arrested

I’ll happily sing along in that choir. I’m hoping the inevitable sequels add the goofier side-missions and activities back in.

Thirded.

Apparently there’s a game update. I just turned mine on and it prompted me to download.

For the PS3, anyhow.

Yeah, you guys got a patch today that presumably fixes multiplayer. I’m hoping for a patch that fixes Carmen “Liar-Liar-Pants-On-Fire” Ortiz.

-Tom

Will it go over her mouth?

Hey, at least she’s easy.

Is Carmen the new Hotkeys?

KG

A hit, a very palpable hit!

-Tom

I actually thought that part was great. I’m glad I had already gotten to that part when I read your thoughts on the game Tom, because I was in a tight situation, running from the cops, calling up Carmen on the phone. I was very skeptical at how “phone healing” would work, and she tells me she can help me out, tells me to calm my breathing, relax, and I’ll be all better. And when I saw it had no effect, I thought it was an inspired joke, and at the time I found it absolutely hilarious.

It also made reading your comments calling her a liar funny too. I strongly suspect Carmen’s “phone healing” was never meant to be real. I hope they actually don’t “fix” it in a patch.

I’ve had it work… once. It gave about 25% of my health back.

At least Kiki’s ability is super useful and works if you have 3 stars (maybe 4?) or less.

Oh damn. Then maybe it is just a bug. :( How disappointing. I guess in that case, they should fix it.

The load times are down almost entirely to the slow UMD drive. If you were to hack a PSP and rip your Liberty City Stories UMD to ISO and load it on a memory card (which I have done), you would find that it’s pretty zippy. Better than the PS2 games, in my experience. Not quite as fast as Vice City loads on my modern PC (ie, almost instantly).

But if you don’t want to go that route, I’m sure the PS2 versions of the Stories games perform better. As to whether they’re any good…well, I felt like they had what I liked about the other GTA games I’ve played, but the PSP controls are ill-suited to the game. I couldn’t find a movement control system I liked since I prefer to steer cars with the d-pad and foot movement with the analog stick on the console versions. Due to the lower number of buttons on the PSP, you have to map one or the other as movement and the other set handles ancillary functions. Which would be fine if you could define that separately depending on whether you’re on foot or in a vehicle, but the same controls map to both. Also, I think locking onto people was awkward, but maybe I’m thinking of the PSP version of Manhunt 2. And, god. If you hated manually aiming weapons on the PS2 version of GTA 3 or Vice City (and I really did), imagine doing it on the PSP. It’s terrible. The point is to have GTA on the go, and they deliver that, but I can’t help but feel I’d have a less frustrating time playing the later PS2 release of both games. I gave up pretty early.

Hmm I hope so. Francis’ ability never works for me.

One thing I really hope they fix in a patch, is making movement “run” by default when you’re in a gunfight (like in Mass Effect). That would improve combat by tenfolds.

Carjacking a gay man has Nikko refer to the gay man as “woman.” I chuckled until I realized just how wrong that is.

Is there a way to save/view your cell phone pics? (once you get the cell phone camera). I can’t seem to find them in the phone itself.

Yeah, seems like it only comes up for mission-applicable situations. I took a few photographs of pedestrians and tried to look them up on the police computer, but it didn’t even register.

You should be sliding from cover to cover like a real action hero. (Press LB while walking/running near cover)

Yeah, but the first couple of seconds or so when I get out of cover is really annoying when my character is just walking slowly while getting shot at. Then I press ‘A’ and move towards the next cover before pressing ‘LB’. My point is that I shouldn’t have to press ‘A’ in the first place (unless I wanted to sprint).