Grand Theft Auto: Arrested

I just spent about 3+ hours clearing all pigeons and stunt jumps on island 1 in one gruelling run. I don’t think it saves when you shoot or find any of that either. I’d recommend anyone trying to get all of these to hold off until you snag a silenced weapon. Got a wanted level pretty much everytime I find a pigeon because the cops are very aware to gunshots. Annoying somewhat.

Oh and the airport pigeons are brutal. Lost about 13k on medical bills because wanted level goes directly to 4 the moment you enter the tarmac flight zone. One particular pigeon requires deft sniping from that area, not made easy with an army chasing you down.

There are silenced weapons? I thought I had gotten all the guns.

True enough, irony was a bad choice, but I stick by absurd.

You’re going to “stick by absurd” when that’s not what you said?

For the record, a little “ism” can go a long way, and often in a direction you didn’t intend. Just a tip next time you want to be pedantic. :)

-Tom

ObGTA4Ref: Yeah, what’s this about a silenced weapon? Is there any such thing, because that’s news to me? Do want!

touche.

RE: silenced weapons. Sorry for the confusion, I sorta assumed the upgraded pistol was silenced, but I guess it’s not… Sorry again folks. It’s all firecrackers in GTA4.

Oh and you guys are correct about the driving becoming easier on island 2. Either my skills have vastly improved, or the cars just handle more competently, but I’m not having the struggles as such anymore. I have also noticed myself taking more care to deftly feather the analog triggers, which seems to make a huge difference in negotiating corners and overall driving ability.

Also, even with a faq, finding all these pigeons, stunt ramps, and random people missions is a HUGE timesink commitment.

What happens when you finish the main storyline? Can you still do all of the secondary missions? (Like steal cars for Brucie, etc.)

Yep. I don’t think any of the GTAs ended when the storyline was over. Bully either.

Under the stats screen, William, the % complete is a measure of all the available activities and not just the storyline. When I finished the story, I was at about 70%. I still have plenty of side quests to do from random strangers, as well as the collecting stuff, and the awesome car hunts based on Steve’s text messages.

-Tom

Spoilers about the Three Leaf Clover mission below.

Uhhh…I think I’m at that point. I’m basically ready to give up. I’m doing the Three Leaf Clover mission, and I’ve done it about seven times now.

The first time Packie died because he used a police car as cover, which blew up.

The second time, I was trying to find the characters on the map, and I was told I had abondened them.

On the third time, fourth, and fifth times, I died in the subway tunnel. For some reason, the hits weren’t registering on the NOOSE guys. I had to walk towards them and then the hits started to register again.

On the sixth attempt, I made it to the bridge, but the car stalled as it was pounded by police vehicles, and I was shot to death in the car.

On the seventh try, I ran up the stairs to the street, and grabbed the first cop car on the scene, and waited. And waited. Then I was told that I had left the characters behind. So I ran back down into the tunnel and they were just standing there.

I “grabbed” them and was killed instantly as I entered the stairwell again as it had flooded with cops. Remember the first time you walked down the hallway to the welded door in Dead Rising? It was like that, only with cops.

So sad, since it starts out as such a cool mission, but the length, and AI, and the various glitches are just killing me here.

I mean, once I get them in the car, how to we get back across the bridge?

Tromik: Are you dating Kiki yet? If so, you can make the tail end of that mission a lot easier. It was the first time I’d used her special ability, at the end of that mission, and it felt a bit like a cheat, but I figured I’d already done the mission 3 times, and I didn’t feel like doing it a fourth time, so once I was down to 4 stars, I gave Kiki a call, and she was able to clear the misunderstanding I was having with the Police at the time.

Another point to consider: Hitting the Algonquin Pay n Spray is much easier than losing your wanted level by more organic means.

What!? No! I’ve gone on one date since Michelle, and that was with Kate. So I meet this girl through the dating site?

I’ll give it a shot. It’s just annoying how many times I’ve had to retry the mission due to buggy AI and glitches.

Thanks for the tip!

I’m still trying to do the first text message acquisition Tom. Is there a trick to them?

The first one I’m supposed to find is supposed to be behind the Burger Shot near Huntington Station. A Manana apparently? I looked on the map that came with the game, and there’s only one Burger Shot even remotely close to Huntington Station. But that Burger Shot never has any cars near it that look like the one I’m looking for. I’ve stolen nearly every car within a mile of that fast food place, anything that might even look close to the car in question, but no dice so far. I’ve gotten so desperate at this point, I’ve started scoping out nearly every Burger Shot in the city. I just don’t get it.

Any advice on how where to start the search? Is it at least remotely close to the Burger Shot mentioned in the email? Is it only there at certain times of the day? Should I just stake the place out for 24 hours and hope it shows up? I’ve been there at daytime, night time, I’m just not sure what to do anymore.

That’s odd. That car was one of the later ones for me. I guess the order is random? That’s surprising, since the text messages mention the last car you got. Maybe the starting car is random?

It took me a while to realize that Huntington Station wasn’t a police station, but a subway station. Doh. It sounds like you’ve figured that out already.

But the thing to remember is that you can’t really rely on the map. One of the things I love about the text message cars is that require the good old-fashioned Mk. V eyeball. The Burger Shot near the Huntington Station station isn’t on the map. Drive around and you’re sure to see it.

Also, as soon as you jump into the right car, you’ll get a message confirming that it’s the car Steve wants.

-Tom

You can also check the map of the cellphone cars on the in-game internet. I’m not sure I ever would have found the first car he sent me for without that.

Which is kind of a shame, since the cell phone cars are a great way to show off the city. I love that you have to look around for the cars using clues and landmarks, instead of simply working your way to a dot on the map. :(

To each his own, of course, but I’d encourage everyone to at least try looking for the cell phone cars without referencing that whattheydontwantyoutoknow.com site.

-Tom

Oh! Thank you so much. I read that, and I had to start up the game again. And I found it instantly this time. It’s a shuttered, closed-down Burger Shot! Brilliant! I’ll have to be a lot more careful when making assumptions around this city from now on.

The text message I got actually described it as an old Burger Shot, or words to that effect. So that car, at least, I could find without any extra help. Can’t say I’m enjoying the car collection, because the photo in the text message is generally so bad that I’m putting my face right up to the screen to look for details. And I’m too lazy to explore a district when I know the info is so readily available online.

Has anyone else encountered the saga of Fred? There are three parts, which I wasn’t expecting. These mini-missions may actually make my completionist urges worthwhile (as opposed to the pigeons and jumps).

I understand this sentiment, jemann, but the world Rockstar has built really does bear up under exploration. While hunting cars for Steve, I’ve found things in Liberty City I wouldn’t have otherwise noticed. If you’re looking at the car collection as merely something to be finished, then fair enough. But it seems to me Rockstar put it in there as a sort of tour of the city, where the actual tour is far more rewarding than the mere cash you get for completing it.

BTW, the Fred saga is another example of this. I don’t recall what reward you get, but it was a pretty strange – and uncomfortable – mission arc. It was Rockstar telling a story instead of just sending you on a fetch quest. When you approach the car collection in a similar way, I maintain you’re being told a little of the story of Liberty City.

-Tom

Yeah, I know I’m doing it wrong. Maybe I’m still thinking of the car-hunting in previous GTAs, where some vehicles were ridiculously rare (eg. the infamous BF Injection in GTA III). Or maybe it’s because I have less game-playing time than I used to, and feel like I need to get maximum value from my time budget. I’ll try to be patient and apply my Oblivion playing style.