Grand Theft Auto V

Eurogamer is thinking the next GTA will be set in Hollywood but I assume its Los Santos. Sounds like we are going to start hearing more about the game soon.

I don’t know what to think. I’m always excited about a new GTA game but I never got far in GTA IV. The fourth one seems like a misstep. It was too serious and I always lost interest early in the game. I hope V is more crazy and less serious.

I’m currently playing through GTA IV again. Maybe I’ll be able to finish it and its two expansions before the next one comes out.

I wouldn’t mind it being serious at all but I do mind the lack of things to do in the early going. It’s a beautiful city but it’s devoid of side options aside from sightseeing and random car chases. My ideal game would have the graphic design and physics of GTA IV and the obscene wealth of incidental missions and side missions and activities, especially vehicle/gang/character customization, from Saint’s Row 2. My single favorite element from SR2 are the gang building elements and both the generic and special homies. Make that into a real strategy game with some opponents with some strategic AI going for them and I’d be in hog heaven.

I’m carjacking this thread and instead we will talk about Saints Row 3.

Haha. Just kidding, folks. Why does Eurogamer suspect Hollywood? That’s a little specific. Los Santos makes a lot more sense. Though I’d rather see them expand on Vice City instead. Have the state of Southland with Vice City standing in for Miami, Bontemps standing in for New Orleans and Dixie standing in for a cross between Nashville, Memphis and Atlanta. I’d think that the Rockstar gang could have fun sticking a theme park in there and just riffing all over Disney with it, too.

Barring that, London.

While I wouldn’t mind revisiting San Andreas (LS, SF, and LV please!) mainly because the countryside would be amazing considering what they did with RDR, I’d really like to see San Andreas set in the 70s. What a great period that’d be, and something they haven’t mined yet. 70s Liberty City would’ve been a tad better, but that ship has sailed. If they have to do a contemporary (or nearly so) GTA I think a wonderful choice would be New Orleans / Lousiana countryside just before, during, and after Katrina.

London would be awesome. My biggest hope is for a better narrative arc, which was GTA4’s weakest element I thought.

That would be interesting, though of questionable taste. A GTA where some natural disaster occurs during a mission (or across a few missions) and then the landscape is changed afterward.

GTA: Tokyo. That way, you can throw in Godzilla and make it more awesome.

I like this idea, but I’m suspicious that based upon the boardwalk area in GTA IV, that their engine has difficulty making amusement park rides work. On the other hand, Disney parody would be sufficiently hilarious with just big-head mascots and walking attractions.

That WOULD be awesome.

Actually, they did do London in an expansion pack for the first GTA, they should revisit it.

Or maybe Paris? GTA V: The French Connection?

Rickshaws. Pedicabs. Palanquins. Motorized sledges.

While Godzilla would be awesome, I don’t see Rockstar including that. I would love to see Tokyo in a GTA game but I think that is too far outside of rockstars comfort zone.

I think GTA will always be set in an major american city for some time.

GTA Boston. Irish Mob. Great roads. Annoying rude population. What else do you need?

I’ve long been jonesing for GTA: Internationale, where you hop between multiple countries.

Maybe centered on the English Channel, and you could go between England, France and Belgium.

as long as they keep handling.dat and allow us to screw around in it I don’t really care about the city

Rockstar are a British company aren’t they? And they did do two earlier expansion packs set in London. I think setting it in a different country is what is needed to refresh the series.

But I’d settle for a new city/state. How about: GTA V: The Amish Connection?

Rockstar clearly has an Ennis-esque appreciation for the ups and downs of American culture.

You should make up your GTA-verse town name if you’re suggesting a non-established locale. Miami is Vice City, New York is Liberty City. So what would they go with for Boston?

That’s easy. Beantown.

GTA V: Rome, circa 200 AD.

That’s a little too easy. Like if they called Vegas in San Andreas ‘Lost Wages’ or San Francisco ‘Bay City’.

Edit: APB being such a complete stinker at least comforts me with the hope that Rockstar won’t try to make GTA5 an MMO. Though Shawn Elliot’s stories about playing San Andreas in a hacked MMO-style environment were pretty funny, they would probably be a lot less so if they were more serious.

Bricktown.