Grand Theft Auto VI may feature a Latina protagonist

Rumor is this the hacker. The location matches their supposed info that was doxxed.

Missed a great opportunity for a “wasted” meme.

The crime scene, yesteday:

Time for a sequel to Grand Theft Auto: Mission Pack #1 London 1969.

Schreier with the scoop!

"Rockstar Games, a division of Take-Two Interactive Software Inc., plans to announce the next highly anticipated Grand Theft Auto game as early as this week, according to people familiar with its plans.

The company plans to then publish a trailer for Grand Theft Auto VI next month to celebrate Rockstar’s 25th anniversary, said the people, who asked to not be identified because they weren’t authorized to speak publicly. A spokesperson for Rockstar didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment sent after business hours."

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1722086391431963100

Edit: official now.

We are very excited to let you know that in early December, we will release the first trailer for the next Grand Theft Auto. We look forward to many more years of sharing these experiences with all of you.

Thank you,
Sam Houser

Take 2 been making noise that they believe games are underpriced and that they’re going to do something about it

Hell yeah! Time for an hourly subscription!

GTA games do provide a LOT of value for the dollar, I’ll give them that. But I would have thought GTA Online was already a good solution for that for the developer? Don’t they make a lot of money in that game using cosmetics and stuff?

On whales only! Look all these freeloaders enjoying GTA Online while never buying a Shark Card!

Money left on the table.

Now, imagine all these people paying $1 per hour. $$$$$$$$$

GTA Online already offers a monthly sub, IIRC. I can totally see the execs at Rockstar believing the entire game could be subscription only.

There’s definitely a real argument that with game budgets where they are these days that even at $70 they are underpriced and require additional revenue streams to make money.

It is also true that anyone expecting me to be willing or able to regularly buy videogames at $70 a pop, let alone higher, is doomed to be disappointed. I don’t have a solution per se…but my proposal would be quit ballooning the goddamn budgets. I’m not one of those people that poo-poos every AAA title just because it’s AAA, I love lots of AAA games. But neither do I think I’ve enjoyed a single one of them more because it cost them $500 million to make than I would if it were operating on a budget of $50 million. Or probably a fair bit less than that. Oh, and a great way to cut costs? Quit making them giant fucking open world games with a billion soulless grindy makework tasks to fill it out! (I recognize the irony of posting this in a GTA thread, since GTA would not be GTA if it weren’t an open world. But most things shouldn’t be.)

But I’m sure the argument is “we gotta keep up with the competition and they’re going to make everything super hi-fi ray-traced shiny open world, which means so do we.” And I mean, sure, maybe there’s some truth there. But this isn’t a road that leads any of you anywhere good. Pave the way off it and you might be surprised.

GTA+ is a $5.99 monthly subscription, which is nowhere near the right price for the value!

There are 730-ish hours in a month! That’s $730 minimum they should charge!

If all games charged me $1 an hour of gameplay, with no upfront cost and no other microtransactions/battlepasses/expansions/dlc, I would probably be fine with it as that is the entertainment $ value I usually target when buying a game.

Until that happens, any game that tries to charge hourly will lose at least one customer.

Used to be 10p for 3 lives.

Back to Vice City then.

I think I’d buy the argument that games need to charge by the hour if it came from anyone but Rockstar who has made more money than God.

Sure, their games are sprawling and massive and they put huge amounts of work into them. But as a result, they sell shit tons of their game. Charging by the hour [for the single player campaign] will inevitably result in people not playing into the late stages of the game, wasting a lot of development time on late game content that won’t be experienced, cause massive anxiety on the part of people playing them, and would probably result in less profit overall when you know you don’t get to keep the game when you decide you can’t afford the hourly drip anymore. A lot of people will probably just choose to watch the Youtube gameplay videos.