Graphic Novels: Whatcha Reading? Is it good?

I’m really adverse to the “pamphlets” for any number of reasons. But the end result is that I don’t/won’t buy them.

So, rather than listen to a discussion of something I’m going to have to wait six months for, I’d rather have a topic where we discuss what we’re reading, and what’s worth/not worth paying the $14-$20 for. ($10-$20 at Buy.com, but I digress…)

Old stuff, new stuff… If it’s in print and you’re reading it lets talk about it.

Here’s what I’ve been reading lately:

Godland: Hello Cosmic
Like Kirby stuff from the seventies? Buy this comic. 'nuff said.

Powers: Books 4&5
Bendis, why are you so good? Damn you! The inner nerd wants to hate you because you’re so popular, but you seduce me over and over again with your word stuffed panels.

Fable: Book 1
Vertigo stuff. Not quite dreck, but it just doesn’t seem to get where it’s trying to go.

You can get volumes 1-3 of Gotham Central now, by Brubaker and Rucka, which follows the special section of the Gotham PD.
Queen & Country 1-7 are available, by the same Rucka.
Girl Genius recently had the fourth volume released (though it’s getting released page by page on their website, http://www.girlgeniusonline.com ).
Strangers in Paradise is wrapping up, I hear, well worth getting it all.

I read the first volume of “Winter Soldier” and liked it, but then I read the first volume of Authority and thought it was pretty weak, so my jury is still out on Brubaker.

I liked the first volumes of Queen & Country, but I haven’t read past vol. 3.

Runaways, Punisher, She-Hulk, Y the Last Man, Birds of Prey, Secret Six, and Fell.

I just picked up Eddie Campbell’s “The Fate Of The Artist”, which is great. It’s a mixed-media sorta-sequel to his utterly brilliant “How To Be An Artist”. Otherwise, I just picked up the first four (!) books of The Authority (!!) used (!!!), which is quite the steal if I do say so myself - primo Ellis and primo Millar. It’s like a superhero sandwich.

Oh, and Ennis’ “The Magnificent Kevin” is not quite as good as the first “Kevin” arc, but it’s still worth reading.

After holding out for years, I just read a couple of the “Alias” TPBs from the library. Holy crap, I think it might be even better than Powers. Does this mean I have to read Daredevil now? I’m not sure how I feel about that.

Geoff

Best Bendis extant.

Fable: Book 1
Vertigo stuff. Not quite dreck, but it just doesn’t seem to get where it’s trying to go.

It does rather soon after Book 1’s arc, trust me.

I don’t read comics anymore, but She-Hulk always struck me as a potentially very interesting character. To be the Hulk as a man is bad, but at least the traits are masculine (socially speaking). She-Hulk faces all kind of problems. Yes, she is sexy, but she is also Amazonian, which many tall women will tell you leads to a lot of insecurities. And she’s a lawyer or something, right? That’s a tough job as huge green lady. Does she get dates? If so, can they be normal? Is it acceptable to have powers based on anger and rage as a woman?

These could all be explored in interesting ways, though I have no idea if the comic ever did them justice.

Really? It was so disappointing. Can I get you to give me a money back guarantee?

I don’t how late it is to pimp out Alan Moore’s Promethea series of graphic novels. There are 5 out now and given Alan Moore’s work, that’s a lot of reading. Science wizardy, tarot magic, wonderful, beautiful comic art you’re unlikely to see anywhere else in comics.

I second Billy D’s Fable assertion, and will you give you a money back guarantee. I will even offer my left testicle if you don’t find the later story arcs to be much more satisfying that the false start that was issue 1-5.

I’ll also mention Jar of Fools and the volumes of Berlin if you haven’t gotten around to it. If you haven’t, shame on you, since the writer himself is a lauded QT3 member

Other stuff that should be interesting.

The Losers TBP; Up the ante.
Smart Summer action movie in comic book form. Explosions, rogue CIA agents, jihadists and plenty of swear words.

Adrian Tomine’s Optic Nerve series.
Because urban desolation and depression is just so hip.

Cable and Deadpool.
Inconsistent, but features Deadpool. You can’t really not have an enjoyable time with Deadpool.

I’ll second Bill here. I almost dropped Fables in the first year, but was very glad that I didn’t. Once Fables gets going, it gets great. Really good series, and the quality has been there all the way through the run. No more consistent book out there, IMO. Willingham and Buckingham have done incredible stuff with this premise.

Also, the Adversary reveal was pulled off perfectly. Usually these delayed Big Bad reveals suck, as the reality is almost always lamer than the mystery, but not in this case.

Additionally, even after the Adversary reveal, the quality has been maintained. Like the whole Arabian Nights deal. Though, after that particular story, I decided to wait for trades, so I’m assuming that Willingham and co are still doing a damn good job afterwards.

I just spent $86 ordering the Promethea books and the first two Powers books thanks to the thread. My credit card company thanks you.

Birds of Prey is really one of the few consistently well-written comic books in the traditional superhero game. Of course, it has been written by the same person for 40 issues now, longer run than most.

This thread combined with Kierons pimping leads me to a visit to my local comic book store… considering that I worked in one for ten years and allmost every month owned more than I earned due to purchases, this is a dangerous trip…

Fable turned out good? The first arc stank enough I stopped getting it… I guess I’ll have to leaf through it at the comic shop.

Trades paperbacks that I’ve liked semi-recently:
Artesia (seems to be in hiatus, but I love the story, setting, and artwork).
Lucifer
Conan
Powers
100 Bullets
The Red Star
Berlin
Jar of Fools

Based on these two books alone, I would confidently pay double for any Jason Lutes book and know I’ll get my money’s worth.

Some of them have been touched upon in the recent run, but not quite fully explored.

It’s more of a humor book, as well as a shout-out to truly old-school Marvel fans.

I’m really enjoying catching up on Bendis’s run on Daredevil via trades, as I mentioned elsewhere. And so I guess I’ve got to get Powers next.

Yes, you silly faggot. I’ll PayPal you the exact dollar amount if you don’t like the next 2 TPBs.

It is never too late to pimp Promethea, you magnificent cunt. It might merely be the best comic book ever written.

I second Billy D’s Fable assertion, and will you give you a money back guarantee. I will even offer my left testicle if you don’t find the later story arcs to be much more satisfying that the false start that was issue 1-5.

PHAT. You hear that Andy, you hairy hunk of impossible man, you? It’s dubble yer munny back.

The Losers TBP; Up the ante.
Smart Summer action movie in comic book form. Explosions, rogue CIA agents, jihadists and plenty of swear words.

Awesome book. I bought it because…well, I love the title, and the artist goes by the moniker of “Jock.”