Gratuitous Space Battles 2 - Positech Games

/me hands his wallet to Cliffski.

Hurry up!

I somehow lost my fleet builds and haven’t had time to rebuild them since, so GSBs not had as many replays as it should have, but cant wait for this.

I liked that trailer a lot. :D

I found that half the fun I was having was by constantly remaking my fleets to see which hull/weapon/component combos worked best. I guess I played more by getting a feel for it rather than trying to figure out some min-maxed statistical formula (although there isn’t anything wrong with that). Considering these space battles ARE gratuitous after all, I didn’t have any problem with making a bunch of different types of ships for different roles, depending on their load outs, and seeing which fleet make up tore through the enemy the quickest, or with the least casualties, or for the least amount of cost, etc.

And, of course, the other half of the fun was watching things get exploded. :)

Now available for preorder, surprised noone has posted yet. I’m a bit bummed because my steam key was redeemed but it’s nowhere in my library though. Guess I’ll have to do direct download until it’s sorted out.

I played a bit of it on Twitch yesterday! It’s still buggy and a bit stuttery, but honestly I found it more fun than the first. Maybe that’s because I actually won once. ;)

Hey. It’s not actually on steam yet, we haven’t done any of the integration, but on release day that key will magically work and your steam copy will appear (including hopefully mac & linux builds).

I couldn’t get into GSB1.0 (didn’t try after initial release) but I love the concept. Definitely picking this up when it’s on Steam.

My problem with GSB 1 and Gratuitous Tank Battles was that it was difficult to tell why something works or doesn’t work. I actually was pretty successful on GTB but didn’t know why. There is data to evaluate, but I just didn’t find it helpful / easy to interpret.

Can anyone (cliffski or otherwise) tell whether this game is touch-friendly or not? I mean, I’ll buy it anyway, I loved GSB1, but it would be a perfect game for a lot of Windows tablets out there like my Surface Pro (and much lighter ones too). Unfortunately GSB’s touch event processing never worked well when I tried it. Not sure if GSB2 works with a touchscreen.

I don’t know, owning no such devices, but I do know GSB2 uses a much simpler standard windows system for input rather than the bullshit voodoo I probably endured for GSB1, so you never know, maybe it works!

Hah! Maybe I’ll be your beta tester then. I’ll try it on my Surface Pro tonight and let you know. If you’re interested in making it touch-compatible, happy to provide any feedback/debug logs/etc that you need.

Any chance for some kind of league? Wouldn’t need to be anything all that fancy, more of a way for the game to give players a fleet from someone around their skill level.

Steam tells me this comes out in 3 hours! :o

Well that’s certainly a surprise. It dropped off my radar a few months ago. If it weren’t for your bump I wouldn’t have even known.

We went to HUGE trouble to co-ordinate that star wars trailer as our warm-up. How could you miss it?

Can someone who really enjoyed the first one explain to me how to ‘get it’. My problem was that even when looking at the stats after a battle I could never really figure out the ‘why’. I think if I could I would look more favorably on the series.

What Star Wars trailer?

No early access, no pre-order bonuses, no price listed? What is this 2010? :p

Right, I’ve hopefully pressed all the right buttons. Its on sale now. Enjoy!

Woo!5