Gravity (2013)

I believe you mean winged and pollen-bearing.

Wholly Schmidt got my point pretty dead on. If you are going to make a movie about the dangers of space, human limitations, etc and then make it about a giant cloud of debris spinning around the globe it takes some of the tension of out for me and I think hurts the movie thematically.

One of the things sub movies and space movies have in common is the ever present knowledge that the only reason the characters are able to live is due to artificial constructions. But in Gravity those artificial constructions not only work flawlessly but go above and beyond what they should do. It just doesn’t smack of reality to me in a movie that seems to want to base itself in a least a semblance of reality.

Think about the Columbia disaster, a single piece in the heat shield was hit by some insulation during take off and seven people died on reentry. NASA in fact kep the extent of the damage from the crew and allowed the reentry. That’s terrifying. Thats human limitations.

On the one hand you have themes of human limitations in Gravity but at the same time everything that humans make work flawlessly. If it wasn’t for those dastardly Russians there wouldn’t have been an issue. Particularly for a movie that is at least semi-processes based it just really stands out to me.

But no one dies from the fire in Gravity it’s only purpose is to get her off of the station to hop over to the next station. I’d say that a failing fan as a cause of death is pretty scary compared to the more common place fire. What I find really scary about space is that the mundane become matters of survival, I didn’t get a sense of that at all in Gravity.

EDIT: To add to what I find scary about space its that what are seen a luxury (as in not a basic necessity of water, food, and shelter) on earth, say having a fan on a warm day, is a necessity in space. In many ways the more extreme the environment the more everyday luxuries become necessities and to see those fail and have the consequences that they do is another level on which I find space to be a scary place.

Oh, I dunno, in the retro-futuristic reality of Gravity, astronauts need to train for airlocks that forcibly fling open at the speed of decompression while you’re holding onto them. If that’s working flawlessly, then I guess a giant parachute draped across the ISS must just be preparation for cinco de mayo or something.

What were the effects of both of those ‘malfunctions’ on the plot and characters? Not a thing. Their only purpose, much like the debris field itself, is for some admittedly very cool visuals. She never seemed to have that big of a problem with the doors. While the parachute was cool visually it didn’t prevent the space craft from working flawlessly. You may be right at the margins there some small hiccups, but whether it was Russian made, Chinese made, or American made, it all basically seemed to work without a hitch.

Worked without a hitch? What movie was that?

Did you fall asleep during the part where the pod is careening around wildly because the parachute tethered it to the station? What about the part where all the fuel vented so she had to use the last-second braking rocket? “Flawlessly” is not the word I would use.

Did you fall asleep during this discussion where

Untrue. They were all out of vodka.

And Solo never seemed to have a problem against a platoon of stormtroopers either.

I kid, I get your point, but you’re arguing for a completely different movie experience, that’s all. I’ll watch yours if it ever comes out, but I doubt the masses will, just like they didn’t watch Moon or U 571.

I guess my problem is that Gravity plays at being a processes movie and being grounded in a certain reality. I completely enjoy fantastical space movies, but I do like a certain internal logic and consistency. On the one hand the movie plays at being grounded in a certain everyday reality and the other it’s almost a fantastical space adventure. I liked the film, just didn’t love it. It’s too visually appealing not to like.

The purpose of the fire was so she would have the fire extinguisher later.

My only complaint is with the yahoo in marketing who decided the poster should say, “Don’t let go.” Did he watch more than 5 minutes of the movie? Letting go is the entire point.

It’s ironic.

-Tom

P.S. I love that you call them out for that!

Irony sells!

Just seeing if we are done with the bee jokes before I continue.

I think we may have one more smoker in us, Dave.

This thread is soooooo weird.

Don’t let go.

Old bear! He loved the honey!

Giaddon’s not on board.