Great Desks And Where to Buy Them

They look like they’d be kind of awkward to walk with…

How sturdy are they? I bought Fully legs (oh my) because I can’t stand any amount of wobble, but I paid about $100 more than it looks like you did and wish I could recommend something cheaper.

Yeah I looked hard at the fully options but frankly I wasn’t confident that I would actually stand that much so I tried to go as cheap as possible.

The legs are quite sturdy. I have 48” ikea top on it and have 2 24” monitors on a mount on it. When it’s in standing position, if I’m really banging away at the keyboard there is a bit of wobble in the monitors. I adapted by doing less angry typing.

COVID has vastly complicated thrift and Craigslist shopping, but solid wood desks are widely available for jack shit in those venues. And if you live in a city, sidewalk furniture has continued to appear during COVID. My Atari desk is a beautiful cherry-veneered monster that I got off the sidewalk here in SF.

I’m guessing that with any of these standing desk leg thingies + a tabletop, I probably need proper tools to, like, drive screwbolts into the turnabout wangjanglers to secure the mainmast, right? Also a space where I could use tools/make a mess :(

God I miss Alston Christmas in June from my Boston U days

I bought the exact same one as @CharlesC and have been very happy with it. I wouldn’t say it wobbles, but you can make it move if you push on it, especially when the desk is raised. If you lean on your desk a lot or that sort of thing, you might not be happy with it.

I’m with @Matt_W - another vote for a long, boring table. It’s fantastic to have plenty of space for monitors, mics, speakers, space to rest your forearms while you type, giant mousepads, and etc. This is the one I have, it comes in a few other sizes, up to 63", which might be ideal for a 3 monitor display if you also want extra space (I am sure I could comfortably do 3 displays with my 55" table, but it would make me take some other stuff off or do some real Tetris).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RFQNLC7

Yeah, that’s the direction I’m leaning. Maybe a 63" and a 47" pushed together like some folks were recommending with the Ikea kit. Of course that depends on my ability to assemble two of them straight enough that they actually are the same height and can form a right angle easily. Would merrily toss in the $65 for expert assembly on those things, but, COVID. Ugh.

That’s promising, though. Appreciate the link!

A screwdriver is all that’s needed. Maybe a drill. I’m sure your girlfriend could handle it.

Oh me too! I mean from my ex-wife’s Boston College days. It was like a furniture sale along Comm Ave and Washington.

Damn Boston College kids, always taking up all the seats on the C line as it rode thru the BU campus en route to theirs!

Then again, BC had Eagles Deli…goddamn those burgers were good. And enormous!

Here ya go:

No joinery other than screws. No cuts other than straight. Make it out of pine, set it on fire if you want it to look nice.

This is the key to a simple carpentry project. And the reality is, you can make almost anything, from a functional perspective, while working within those constraints.

Sad thing is it would cost 1/2 a year ago, COVID has grossly inflated lumber prices.

I’m also in the Galant camp. I have the L shaped arrangement for my computer, plus two others as a separate computer desk and printer stand. They also tend to be cheap on Craigslist.

I built a workbench this way. Circular saw, drill, 2x4s and carriage bolts were basically the tools and material. If your gf is up to a project that experimental table could be adapted to be your desk.

And since I’m such a sucker for gear, one of these:
https://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch-japanese-style-double-edge-saw-67058.html

Is ten bucks, it will cut pine lumber like butter. Then a cordless drill, you absolutely don’t need to buy DeWalt or similar, the technology is great now, plus a set of drill bits and screw drivers, you would have all the equipment you need for ~$60.

When I did that workbench, I tried i using the cheap cordless Black and Decker drill I got for free from opening a savings account. Totally inadequate. I ended up getting a corded drill from Rigid. It made drilling a lot better and of course, every guy should have a Rigid tool.

Settle down. ;)

I take your point but would ask, how long ago was that? You pay for batteries, not the tool, but the tool itself has gotten ridiculously better over the last ten years. I’ve got a driver/drill Porter Cable set that is powerful as hell, brushless, 20v, all for $115. I’d be confident a modern B&D drill would handle this job with aplomb.

Or if there is a tool library in the area, someone could borrow the tools and the cost would be zero!