Great emulators for C64 and Amiga games

You can if you’re Aussie.

Haha, yeah, that’s true of most games. I WANT to replay Legacy of the Ancients but I know that I will deeply regret it if I do.

Picked up the bundle last night. I fired up AmiKit and was simultaneously impressed by a “modern” Amiga OS, and completely lost on how to do things. Apparently my CLI is a bit rusty. Also, I couldn’t figure out keyboard shortcuts for the web browser and such, which was driving me crazy.

There’s something about psychomotor memory. Afer using Atari/Commodore joysticks during my formative years, I’ve never gotten really used to any gamepad or any PC joystick for that matter. Admittedly, I went through lots of joysticks, but there’s something burned into my memory about the feel of them and the pressure needed for precise control–things completely different (for me) on anything since. So, in answer to your question: no, they’re not fine enough (for me).

Carl

Yeah, muscle memory is real. I started playing STO again after a long hiatus and my fingers were hitting the right keys while I was wondering what to do in a certain situation. But I can’t learn to touch type to save my life. Go figure.

Uhm, is this the same Gary Whitta? ;)

http://amr.abime.net/review_13065

Based on the preview I read, this is a must-buy for an Amiga-heads or anyone interested in what made the Amiga great:

“The Future Was Here”

Better than its “Racing the Beam” cousin

scharmers, I reallly enjoyed “Racing the Beam” and had no idea that had just come out. Thanks for the heads up! There is also one newly released on the Wii, but that’s a bit modern for my tastes, but I may give it a shot too.

Pardon the thread necro but this seems useful - looks like you can now play a ton of C64 games in your browser through emulation, this article tells you how to get it going and set up controls:

And on the Amiga front, FS-UAE gives a really great interface to the now amazing UAE.

And not a C64 or Amiga, but my friend Danny just helped Darek Mihocka update the Xformer Atari 800 emulator. If you’ve ever needed to run dozens of Atari games all at once, this is the emulator for you. :)

http://www.emulators.com/

How gloriously pointless! I am in awe, would have never thought of doing such a thing.

Sigh. OK. The Internet Archive is great for C64 games, there’s some disadvantages to it, particularly when it comes to disk access. Many games are set up for more than one disk, which the Archive is not capable of handling. And some games require custom tweaking to VICE (the C64 emulator powering the Archive) that cannot be done through the Archive’s automation (see: Jumpman).

So, do it yourself. You will need:

VICE (C64… hell, every C= 8-bit)
WinUAE

Neither is difficult to set up, and both are being constantly updated.

Use the Archive to remind you of/locate the games you want to play… but use the emulators above if you’re really interested in playing them.

There is only one C64 game that I want to play. Red Storm Rising. And I have found emulators like this on line. The only problem is all of the keys. The original had a great keyboard overlay, for the IBM and the C64. Now try to remember all of the keys. Nope. Not happening. If I have to dig out the overlay, which will not fit on my laptop keyboard anyway, I might as well dig out the damn computer and floppy drive as well.

This is why I bought an American mechanical keyboard.
The F keys need to be pressed. Oh yeah…

There was a guy, for a while, that was doing a straight port of RSR. He had gotten to, I think, torpedo AI or something. And then just stopped. o7 you sir for your attempt.

Yes, the guy that did the Kennedy Approach one! He had the best domain name, like microprose.nl or something. Such a shame he didn’t complete it, his Kennedy Approach port is a little wonder.

Oh hell yeah! You remember that too. Glad I’m not hallucinating it or something. I also loved Kennedy Approach.

Landing planes in the mountains during a storm was scary stuff.

There was a freeware or shareware air traffic control little game on the old Mac that initiated me to the dirty pleasure of it, back when scourging scouring magazine CDs was actually exciting.
But then, I stumbled upon that site and the remake of a C64 game I had never heard about, and as usual, Microprose did it 10 times better with 1/10th the number of pixels. I got very addicted to the hiscore chase in this game.

Edit: you can find anything on the internet; here is the horrible Mac thing.

The game library is impressive, but what blows my mind is they archived 18k+ demos as well.