Great Horror Flicks of the Last 15 Years. Whatcha Got?

The first Paranormal Activity was actually very scary. And if you are afraid of certain insects, I would put Enemy on the list…

Sean of The Dead is mainstream and has been covered to death but absolutely belongs on any list of the best horror movies from the past 15 years. Other mainstream horror movies that I enjoy but which are less essential would be Zombieland and Cabin in The Woods. (I also enjoyed Tucker and Dale vs Evil as long as we’re talking about movies that deconstruct the genre.)

I would argue that You’re Next, though already covered by the podcast, is important enough to warrant consideration for the list.

Edit: I missed that there was additional discussion of some of these already!

I thought Enemy did not include insects! Bug (2005) includes Insects though, and definitely fulfills the “we should watch a movie with Michael Shannon in it” ideal.

Plus You’re Next is on Netflix instant watch now, so it’s got that going for it.

Wow, awesome. I was trying to remember both Dark Water (I saw the awful American version with…was it Natalie Portman???) and even though it was bad, I thought “There might be a good movie in here.” Never saw the original.
Was also trying to remember Wolf Creek. I know Tom referenced it when talking about a newer film by the same director a few months ago, with the newer film being a disappointment.

Always up for a change of pace, too. Awesome list, thanks Sören!

Boom. I’d even argue that the second PA film is also worth it, if only because it walks that tightrope of being pretty solid…but also having some “Oh, this series is going to go south, fast” elements to it.

The new movie you mention though, Zombieland, probably has to be in the discussion. Another mainstream movie. Maybe it’s a romantic comedy at heart, and that might knock it off the list, but still.

Most of my favorite horror films from that period are foreign. Starting in the 90’s and continuing up until only a few years ago, it just seemed that the studios were churning out horribly written exercises in film tropes. But I have to admit that the last 5 or so years has seen some really great domestic horror.

Anyway…

I’d add 2008’s Let the Right One In to the list. The Swedish original, of course. Then I’d head over to France for Martyrs from the same year.

Earlier endeavors would include 2006’s Sheitan from France (Good Lord, that movie is the very definition of madness caught on film), 2003’s One Missed Call by Miike (Audition has already been mentioned, so I won’t repeat that one), 2009’s Blood Creek (who knew the guy who put nipples on the Bat suit could craft a decent horror film?), and maybe 30 Days of Night from 2007 because it really was a breath of fresh air in a genre dominated by angsty vamps who were more likely to ask to use your girlfriend’s makeup kit than attack anyone.

I feel like it’s more coming of age than romantic comedy, though the bottom line is the same. The ZA is just a backdrop. Definitely belongs on the big list.

Wow, awesome. I was trying to remember both Dark Water (I saw the awful American version with…was it Natalie Portman???) and even though it was bad, I thought “There might be a good movie in here.” Never saw the original.

The original is very good, if not particularly original. It’s more or less exactly what you’d come up with if you were going to make a generic Japanese horror movie, but the two lead actors are great and it’s just so creepy, even if it’s painfully obvious what the mystery is.

The original Dark Water had one of the scariest scenes in a horror movie I’ve ever seen. I had trouble sleeping for a few nights after I saw it. And that rarely happens to an old horror fan like me.

A few indie/foreign horror films that I found to be excellent.

Them (aka Ils) - A home invasion film from France that I found extremely tense and well-made.

The Last Will and Testament of Rosamund Leigh - This was ridiculously creepy. I had to pause it a few times because the atmosphere was working on me a little too well. It’s basically about a man exploring his freaky dead mom’s house and what he finds there.

The Pact - A traditional movie ghost story that manages to transcend, with some awesome scary bits.

Absentia - A super-low-budget (it shows in places) Weird Tale. Very Lovecraftian and inventive.

Berberian Sound Studio - A very odd tribute to giallo films by way of David Lynch. Not exactly a horror film, but an effective thriller with horror overtones.

Also, definitely Kill List.

Excellent. I think it’s a pretty good bet that LTROI will make the final cut. My original impression of 30 Days Of Night was that it wasn’t much of a movie…but in the last few months I’ve seen a couple of references to it that make me think it’s a movie of merit.

And now my personal hypothetical list of movies is down to about 5. Awesome list, and thanks for the youtube links. I keep seeing the Pact here and there on VOD and kinda dismissed it. Now I’m curious.

So yeah. So far 50 movies on the the “throw shit against the wall” list.

Keep 'em coming!

OK, from my own list, just putting them onto the wall list. I think these belong, right?

Shutter (the original, which I think is from Thailand?)
Kairo (a/k/a Pulse)
Butterfly Effect (While it’s Kutcher, I’m told it’s peak Kutcher).
Close Your Eyes (A movie rrmorton turned me onto a few years ago.)
Resolution
Penumbra
Magic Magic
Citadel
Grave Encounters
Okaruto (A fairly obscure, Japanese found footage movie that a friend who knew I was a Fatal Frame videogame fan mentioned as a must-see.)

I’m going to nitpick - Butterfly Effect doesn’t make for good horror. I’m not saying it doesn’t belong on anyone’s list, because I can see how it can be a little unsettling. But if we’re going for an existential angle, I’d replace it with Christopher Nolan’s The Prestige. That’s not a horror movie either, but it really got under my skin.

Peak Kutcher? He’s the Troma studio of actors…but without all the fun! :)

Fair enough. First cut.

It’s a decent film version of what is frankly a not very good graphical novel (IMO, of course), though I don’t think it’s especially interesting (except maybe that it’s one of the rare versions of “vampires as monsters” in these trying, sparkly, times). Honestly, the reason to watch it is Danny Huston.