GreedFall (Spiders/Focus Home Interactive) 2019

I might bite day 1, sorta looking for something like this to play.

See I’d buy this and it would show up on Gamepass :/

Wow this definitely looks like something I’ve been waiting for. Thy had me at “Romance, loyalty, and betrayal. Companions play a big role in GreedFall.”
If all is well and what the trailers look like to be - this might fill my giant Dragon Age / The Witcher / Mass Effect sized hole.

My interest is quite piqued as well; especially by the setting and aesthetic. This excerpt from a Kotaku article really gets at why this is initially appealing to me:

Greedfall proved immediately gorgeous to look at. Butler started the demo in a small swampland, where beams of light pierced through gnarled branches. Distant forest trees held sage-colored leaves dotted with faded hues. Teer Fradee felt real, as if I could tell what angle my foot would take stepping on a rock. As Butler gave a brief overview of the area, he mentioned that Spider’s CEO Jeanne Rousseau, the main writer on the game, found herself inspired by Baroque art and Flemish paintings. She also found inspiration in the historical accounts of various explorers and naturalists. Greedfall ’s world design held a specific ethos: to evoke awe and wonder. What I saw, limited as it was, touched upon those feelings. It was a place I wanted to poke at and whose nooks and crannies held promise.

Oh no, that one companion has the ahistoric helmet!

I’m pretty interested in this, but man - this game has some massive pitfalls to navigate, and so far I’m not convinced that it will succeed in that. When you set your game in a clear colonialist setting, but then try to claim that the game is not really about colonialism, it sort of makes me feel that the writer/developer want to have their cake and eat it too (and also haven’t understood that game discourse has moved past the point where it was only graphics and button-mashing that mattered).

It’s an under-used period of history, so hoping it’s good.

Yep thats what I mostly want from a game, an interesting world to explore. Maybe even more so than a good story and combat.

TBH I think exploration is what Spiders have been worst at in their games so far.

Not watching these to keep it all fresh… but is Teer Frade really supposed to be a clever play on Free Trade?

eh…no.

Beautiful looking game. I won’t do a pre-purchase due to the dev’s track record but if the first few days of release produce fairly positive feedback I doubt I wait for a sale.

I’m in the same boat. While I enjoyed my time with Technomancer, it was a rough game. I want to see how reception is to see if I pick this up soon, or wait for a good sale like I did with Technomancer.

They’re really pushing the Bioware comparison.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-08-28-why-greedfall-is-the-game-bioware-fans-should-care-about

And to be fair, the Bioware comparison is what’s forcing me to pay attention to the game.

This seems cool, getting a bit more of a Dragon’s Dogma vibe than anything else, but in the best way.

I watched this 13 minute gameplay (spoiler free) and it’s almost become day one for me just since I started looking at it finally this morning, between the eurogamer video linked by @Rock8man there and now this fantastic video.

I hope it’s good. Would be cool to see Spider level up with this one. The setting and aesthetic are really cool.

Well, I’ve caved. All the videos make it look too interesting, and I’m in the mood for an rpg.