Green Lantern

Ryan Reynolds got the part.

I approve! Sounds like they have a good director too.

I don’t have an emotional attachment with The Green Lantern or anything, but wasn’t he black? I never read the comics, so I don’t really know anything about the story.

Original Green Lantern was white, Hal Jordan.

Bleh, I don’t like Ryan Reynolds but its no big loss. I don’t have any faith in hollywood making a green lantern movie I would like.

Original Green Lantern was white and named Alan Scott :)

Oh yea, I guess there’s that guy too. But wasn’t his ring just magically created instead of being a part of the Oa corps or what not? Anyways…

To clarify what was said above, there are actually 5 human Green Lanterns, all currently alive and working.

Alan Scott - Golden Age GL, actually carried around a lantern, rather than a power ring. Was eventually retconned into the official mythos by saying his lantern was the battery used by a regular GL who died and Scott found it.

Hal Jordan - First of the “new style” Green Lanterns, has power ring, flies around, turns evil, kills a bunch of people, eventually redeemed and its not his fault, but it totally was him.

Guy Gardner - The guy who would have been chosen if Hal wasnt available. The Greatest Green Lantern of all (because he said so), was taken out by Batman with a single punch. My personal favorite of the five.

John Stewart - Former policeman, he’s the one you are referring to when you asked if GL was black. He was the one used in the Justice League cartoon, so many kids are most familiar with him.

Kyle Raynor - Emo kid. When Hal turns evil and wipes out the Green Lantern Corps, he is chosen to be the first new Green Lanterns. Source of the Women in Refridgerators meme, when his girlfriend is killed by a villain and stuffed into a fridge just to make him more emo. Was the ultimate Green Lantern for a while, but gave it up, probably because he cried too much.

I hope they keep Sinestro’s moustache.

“Green Lantern” is really kind of an office or a profession, like “Texas Ranger”, it’s been held by several people on Earth and literally…many thousands of alien entities around the DC universe.

I’m pretty sure Alan Scott used a ring too, with some metal he removed from the lantern.

John Stewart - Former policeman, he’s the one you are referring to when you asked if GL was black. He was the one used in the Justice League cartoon, so many kids are most familiar with him.

I think the original comic Stewart was an architect, and the cartoon version a Marine.

I like Ryan Reynolds for the part, but this is the third superhero movie he’s been in now! I would rather have seen Bradley Cooper in the part, but none of the choices really struck me as a good fit for Hal Jordan.

Regardless, the Green Lantern is one of my favorite superhero characters, and I’m hopeful that this turns out well. The special effects will be key

Sounds good to me.

You are absolutely right… I was typing that from memory, and thinking of the cartoon version, and somehow I switched policeman for Marine.

Alan Scott does have a ring, but for some reason in my head I think of him carrying the lantern around, rather than using the ring like the traditional Green Lanterns…

So Ryan Reynolds is both Green Lantern and Deadpool?

Interesting contrast there.

You forget to mention the best part about Guy Gardner. He was the second choice for Green Lantern because he was a super nice guy. Then, sometime later, he got hit by a bus (as well as some other stuff) that gave him permanent brain damage. Apparently the brain damage was the part that made him not an asshole, and he became violent, selfish and generally mentally unstable. That’s when he started being “the crazy one”.

As a result of his super-asshole-ness, he also lost his power ring several times, and has gotten a number of new sources of power of the years, presumably just because comics writers like him so much. I think he’s a Green Lantern again now, but I’m not sure.

Yeah, he is. Until recently he was the head of the Green Lantern Honor Guard, but he and Kyle got in trouble with the Guardians last issue of GLC for stopping the Alpha Lanterns from executing prisoners…

During the JLI years, whenever he would bump his head he would change from mean/awesome Guy to warm and fuzzy Guy. They seem to have dropped that from continuity since everyone prefers Guy to be arrogant, mean, and awesome.

I can’t forgive Guy Gardner the early 90’s bowl-cut. I’m sorry.

H.

Hal Jordan’s a douche anyway so I think Reynolds can do it well (not saying Reynolds is a douche but you know what I mean).

Eh. This could be okay.

Note: My Green Lantern knowledge comes from the hit TV show Smallville.