Greetings, Gary Whitta. You have been recruited by the Star League...

…to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan armada.

Apparently Whitta has been working on a reboot of The Last Starfighter, according to EW according to io9. This would still be in that nebulous wonderful preproduction phase where the project can vanish in the mist, and it’s currently without a studio, director, producer, cast, etc. But Gary does have a co-writer that owns at least some of the rights to the IP, so that’s a start!

I don’t know if the world needs a Last Starfighter reboot, but self-loathing kids still dream about blowing stuff up in space, and video games are still a thing. And that Ko-Dan armada isn’t going to go away on its own…

Whitta-link: http://ew.com/movies/2018/04/04/last-starfighter-reboot-rogue-one/?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly&utm_medium=social

Got to get this remake out before the Armada adaptation.

We die.

WeDie

Yeah, pretty interesting timing what with the announcement of Armada getting a movie treatment now that Ready Player One is a decent success.

I really don’t want to see a reboot of The Last Starfighter, but I really really don’t want to see Armada.

I heard Armada wasn’t very good?

Interested what they do here though, Last Starfighter is a favorite of mine.

The Last Starfighter scratched that adolescent wish fulfillment itch really well. It doesn’t need to be remade shot-for-shot, but the concept, videogame is real, go to space, kill aliens, come home a hero, totally has legs.

The reboot needs that monocle.

Absolutely, and I’m sure Gary will put in the Death Blossom too. :)

At the end, it turns out the Alex Rogan kid was blind all along.

Booyah! Book of Eli, Last Starfighter, and Pinball Wizard rolled into one!

The adult in me says, “stop ruining everything from my childhood”

But the KID in me is all:
IaLG69W

They will ruin it for sure if they do a reboot.

Can we just go ahead and cast John Noble in Preston’s role?

I was never a huge fan of this movie. I mean, I liked it well enough, it certainly pushes all the right buttons for a 13-year-old, but it never seemed like all that much was going on. The enemies never really seemed like much of a threat and the effects were kind of cheesy, always felt like a slightly bigger budget B movie. I liked the characters though, Grig was always a favorite, plus I always had a crush on Catherine Mary Stuart. I wish I liked the movie more, I guess.

GTFO.

Heh. I was 25 when it came out, so a kid, but no longer a kid, really. I enjoyed it but it wasn’t a great movie in the way Raiders of the Lost Ark was great. It was a pretty mediocre movie with a cool plot.

A similarly cheesy 80s movie is Enemy Mine. I wonder if they’re going to remake that?

One of my favorites as well

I was -1 when it came out.

They should remake it as a historical movie with two pilots from different countries shot down on a remote island!

-Tom

Given it came out in 84, I must have seen it on TV, but it’s still one of my favorite movies from when I was a kid.

All I’m gonna say is, if you loved The Last Starfighter as a kid (like me!)… treasure your nostalgia. Don’t re-watch it.

And yeah, Armada sucked, mainly because it just ripped off Last Starfighter and didn’t bring anything new or interesting. I kept waiting for the big twist and it… just… never… came.