Greetings, Gary Whitta. You have been recruited by the Star League...

That’s the first computer generated photorealistic special effect in history, and the first fully computer generated “character” as well. The birth of CGI as we know it today.

Indeed. It was a pretty striking scene at the time.

I used a book in college called Computer Graphics - this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Graphics-Principles-Practice-2nd/dp/0201848406

Part of it follows the history of those CGI developments, and there are sections explaining each of those “big steps” in CGI used in movies, and what made them important. Namely Tron, The Last Starfighter (ah, Gouraud shading!), Young Sherlock Holmes, and The Abyss.

Of course, the book is from 1995 (second edition from a prior edition). So it doesn’t mention the next huge leap in CGI, which is Jurassic Park in 1993.

See, then it would be about 5000% gayer. With two different species one avoids all kinds of trouble.

Hell yeah it is.

Guillermo del Toro: Hold my beer.

Yeah, the soundtrack to Last Starfighter is one of my all time favorites. I listen to it all the time.

And the young man who made that CGI special effect was … John Lassiter. And now you know the rest of the story.

Ah, I did not realize that. I would have newfound respect for The Last Starfighter if I could remember anything about it. Is that the one with Matthew Broderick and a monkey?

-Tom

That’s Project X I believe.

Or maybe Megaforce, it’s all a blur.

;)

I don’t think so. You’re thinking of the one where the computer says “Do you want to play a game?”

-Tom

You should watch it, seminal movie for nerdly folk.

Heh, seminal.

No no no, that’s Cloak and Dagger with Dabney Coleman.

Man, it I ever start another podcast, it’ll be reviewing every sci-fi and fantasy movie from the 80s. Truly the best.

What about the Genesis effect in Wrath of Khan? Doesn’t that predate Young Sherlock?

I love Young Sherlock Holmes. That’s one of my guiltiest pleasures.

There is this.

I saw this within the past couple of years while visiting my folks. I still like it. It’s a guilty pleasure, just like Young Sherlock Holmes.

But @tomchick probably thinking of the one where Tom hanks gets lost in the sewer while playing Gamma World.

WHAT

If that’s not a real thing you are a cruel, cruel dude.