Greetings, Gary Whitta. You have been recruited by the Star League...

Oh. D.A.R.Y.L.L. Right.

Naw, D.A.R.Y.L was the one where the kid was a bot in the daytime and a hawk at night. You’re thinking of Short Circuit.

No, Short Circuit was the one with the time traveling motorcycle, wasn’t it?

Since no one else acknowledged this reference, I have to tip my hat to you sir!

Yep, he was inspired by TRON, and started exploring CGI right after that. I saw some rough CGI mockups he did for…I think it was The Fox and the Hound? Basically it was hand-animated characters over a moving CGI background.

(I didn’t know about the TRON/Pixar influence at the time, but I do remember watching my newly pressed TRON laserdisc boxed set with friends, and then going straight to opening day of Toy Story!)

Did you know that TRON wasn’t even nominated for an Academy Award for special effects? At the time, the Academy thought that using computers was considered “cheating.” I guess they’ve relaxed that rule since then.

The Atari 8-bit game of Last Starfighter was better than the movie. No Death Blossom, though. If you want a movie, Battle Beyond the Stars was way fuckin’ better.

If no Catherine Mary Stewart, no interest.

Damn right. What have she and Lance Guest been up to lately?

Pfft, Battle Beyond the Stars is minor Corman. Galaxy of Terror or GTFO.

-Tom

I like dat tooooooo though I really like Mutant/Forbidden World with Dawn Dunlap.

You joke. But Megaforce was Barry Bostwick, post Rocky Horror. As well as Persis Khambatta who would eventually be in the first Star Trek movie. Edward Mulhare of The Ghost and Mrs. Muir fame. Directed by Hal Needham who was a famous stuntman.

Classic film that @tomchick must watch. Motorcycles shooting missles and Barry Bostwick with Fabio hair.

But Battle Beyond the Stars had John Boy Walton flying Space Testicles!

Yeah! And Sybil Danning counting coup from her reclining pilot’s chair!

Andy and Denny, on the Enterprise.

I saw that at what was no doubt entirely too young an age and I had no idea what that worm creature was doing to that particular woman. I think I figured it just crushed her to death.

Is this trailer for real?

The future of the past is not what it used to be.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture came out years before Megaforce.

Yup, real.

In the future… Lighting is terrible, and everyone has mustaches.

That’s all the death blossom was? I remember it being a lot longer as a kid.