Griftlands - roguelike RPG battler with Slay the Spire influences by Klei

Thank you! Ha, these epic sales feel like old school steam sales!

Great deal, thanks! I believe we also get a free Steam key in July when it hits Early Access. :)

Gosh, this game is so good, you guys. Five dollars for this makes me feel gross. Maybe I’ll buy Oxygen not Included just to help Klei out! :P

I also really like this game. One thing I appreciate is how I can have meta-goals about the various characters - I’ve already gotten so and so to love me, now can I make them hate me? What happens? etc.

Yeah, it is pretty cool that getting people to love you grants nice global bonuses (and the opposite if they hate you). One of my minor complaints (which they’ll probably fix) is that when you pick an option on a quest, it isn’t clear that you’re going to have to piss off one your allies.

This made me glad, but I see it’s $15? Confused!

Epic is having a sale, you can get $10 off anything $14.99 or over. In some regions it doesn’t work for Griftlands, though, apparently.

Oh! Perfect, thanks for the details, I picked this one up!

Dude you will not regret it!

Jeez. This is pretty great. I’m sad I’ve skipped this for so long.

This is out on Steam EA now, currently 15% off.

High quality Klei game with strong Slay the Spire inspirations.

If you bought it on the Epic store you get a Steam key from Klei.

Picked this up today, and despite having fooled around with the demo a little bit first (didn’t want to get spoiled)I’m not quite grokking the negotiation system.

Can someone please explain it simply, or point me to a tutorial that does? The one in-game isn’t a whole lot of help.

Negotiation is basically combat, but instead of extra enemies and the like you have Intents and buffs/debuffs that you can target to stop them from doing something/get something from. And of course it uses it’s own deck and grafts.

There are intimidations (red) and persuasions (green) as “classes” of attacks. Some abilities work off one or the other.

Generally speaking extra damage to the opponent’s intents “trample” (for lack of a better term) over to their main “health” so it’s usually good to just take them out, though sometimes they give you debuffs or them buffs when you do.

By the same token your stuff can be attacked, so you often want to put defense on your own good buffs to save them if they’re going to get hit.

That’s the gist of it, if you have any specific questions I can try to answer, but some stuff still is mystery to me. Like sometimes I take damage from hitting an enemy (I think it’s because I can’t break their defense with an attack)? But other times I don’t in that same situation. Of course I might have overlooked some buff they had floating around.

Thanks. I also found a Let’s Play that made it a lot clearer.

Can someone please explain how day progression works? I’ve completed several missions, upgraded a few cards, etc. but I’m still at 0% on Day One.

After so many missions and events it gets dark out, then after another however many things you do (activities), you have nothing else to do for the day but return to the hotel place and rest.

Be warned, I found out last night if you rest before the day is done, if you see that as an option when talking to the hotel lady/alien, the game let me and I missed out on the last quest in day 4.

Thanks. As it happens, when I went back to my current run, first thing the bartender suggested I get some sleep. I guess it was triggered by the boss fight.

Just as an update for a great game:

developments of: Griftlands, Klei

model developer with quality games

Griftlands is still in Early Access. I expect many people will still have a justified reluctance towards EA titles. Countless kickstarter failures and under-deliveries, as well as hype disappointments and outright disasters cultivated an earned scepticism towards unfinished games.
As the prime counter example I can point at Klei. The way their team and game development is structured is somewhat unconventional. Klei was founded with the idea of a healthy company culture and proper work-life balance in mind.

Klei works on several games at once, so all the departments always have a use. Artists don’t sit idle or get fired when a big project is done. Instead the company focuses on several games in development at different stages and individual employees are more or less fluidly tied to specific games, depending on the individual stage in the development process.

The games they create also have a comparatively limited budget. Which I personally like as I think production quality is much more important that pure production value. It allows them to handle these different projects at the same time without being dependent on one big hit every 5 years.
Lastly Klei is able to adjust based on reception. They will create additional content and expansions depending on success. Unlike some grand strategy game developers Klei retains its superb quality and provides this additional content in a very non-exploitative way.

Griftlands then. Griftlands has an additional year of high quality Klei development and polish to show.
It still is inspired by Slay the Spire and is closer to that inspiration in game mechanics than Monster Train. It instead explores other aspects of the design in its own way. While Griftland runs have a story based structure with certain predetermined events the flow of a run is less deterministic and predictable than a Slay or Monster Train game. Griftlands’ different characters also not only have their own set of cards they each have a completely separate campaign with its own distinct mechanics, developments, story and flavour.

Available right now are the mechanically complete first two campaigns and recently released the first two days (of ~5) of the third character.
They also added mod support and provided a more open world-ish experience based on a notoriously likable minor side character as a mod example.
The first two campaigns still get regular additions in cards, enemies and challenges on top of constant UI and quality of life polish. Other additions include daily runs, a meta campaign unlock system for starting bonuses and a combat focused brawl mode.

I really like Griftlands and found experiencing the playable development process in action quite interesting. The game was of high quality a year ago already and only improved since then.
If you found any joy in Slay the Spire and want to reward actually worker friendly game development, exceptional high quality and unsurpassed EA playability you should consider this one.

I love Klei, I love Slay the Spire, I own Griftlands, and I will still wait until 1.0 to play it. You provided the reason:

I’ll wait BECAUSE I love and trust Klei. In the meantime, I’ll play other games that are already as good as they’ll ever get (or close enough to it that the developer calls them “done”).

I respect your POV, though!