Grim Clicker

Anyone else still poking at this? I finished the fourth shard this morning, still totally F2P (and no cheating), and the game recommended I go back to completed shards for an easy flame increase. They did fix the thing with the quest timers not working offline, thankfully, and they’ve made some improvements in other areas, but we still don’t have tooltips for basic things, and even if I hadn’t bought +10 max mana early on (not realizing that mana kind of sucks in this game!), I still wouldn’t have enough shards to buy +1 SP per level from the shard shop. Also, the skill trees need a lot of balance work, as I haven’t seen a good reason in a while to not just pump strength and nothing else.

I return every few days for a bit, I like that I can claim my missed XP and candles. :)

Poked in a couple of tiems and I am monitoring progress.

I don’t agree that just pushing strength is the way to go, but I do think things are a bit limited right now build wise.

A bit of strength (for rage primarily, and some points htere) coupled with dex investment can produce a build that can rage for a very long time. Points in firefly appearance up, and also the ksill that grants energy for fireflies, and your auto clicking will often kill them. The “first hit is a crit” mask is very powerful too. I had some more luck recently with that sort of build than going for the mask that increases your strength bonus to damage by 10x, which I thought was slightly odd. I’ve also used that dex/click build to get close to the end of the shard, although I think some updates might have changed it some since that point. Granted, if you wait long enough any build should make it. At one point consensus was that for farming purposes (e.g. just generating a nice pile of candlews and ritualing) one of the dex or strength builds was superior but I can’t recall which.

@Lee_Suttling there is a build that’s strength but uses the flame skill and the flame skill is pretty powerful. But it requires investment (each level adds another “fire thingy” that shoots out, and adds damage I think). I think magic overall still isn’t very good though.

I think I’ll try to get to the end of the shard and see what’s what. I am pushing to unlock an 8k gear slot currently.

Does the game get more idle-y? I didn’t play a lot, but it felt like it required a lot of constant attention. My preferred idle games have periods of activity where it feels like you’re taking your “turn”, setting up your strategy for the next [X] hours, then you can go play other games, etc.

I can’t make any judgement because the game didn’t hold me long enough to beat the first shard. My hope is that the game improves as it develops and gets more interesting/smoothed out, then I’ll revisit.

Right now, not by a lot.

Weapons come in tiers (something like “poor”, “quality”, etc). The lowest tier cannot have any of what are called charms slotted into them. But if you upgrade a weapon you can get those slots. One charm will auto upgrade a weapon. Some of the patch notes over the past few weeks suggested there was something in that which was configurable, but I haven’t used such charms so I don’t know. I should experiment.

Unfortunately, right now leveling up is not automated, and it’s where you derive a considerable about of power. So that means allocationg skill points periodically. I’m currently doing the rage + dex build, and my energy regen is such that Ib asically sustain rage all the time so I don’t need to cast it more than once. But I still gotta go in and level stuff up. This is am area I am hoping gets some tLC in the future. I wouldn’t mind being able to “repeat last build” or something after ascending. But as we’re still well away from release I don’t know what the devs are planning.

Leveling does slowdown a shitload, though, so e.g. the second half of this run (I’m in zone 31) has been fairly uninvolved. I’m level 19 and I bet I’ve leveled less than 7 times, maybe less than 4-5, in the past 15 zones.

The thing about the all-strength build is, March plus the fire mask is pretty much always stronger than going for crits, especially when you get further along the strength tree and find the skill that increases the per-second damage increase from March (my run that cleared the fourth shard involved +15% damage every second for 150 minutes). The fire sword does some insane damage as well, and picks up all these other damage boosts.

So I found something of note that I won’t have access to for. . . well I don’t know. At some point or another you gain a soul. There’s alittle drop down in the top right of the main display that allows you to set some behavior. Like one of the options will generate rubies periodically. Another will generate energy. You can get more souls - I have 2 - and more things open up. The 10 soul option is “auto increase skill” or something. I have no idea how it would work of course (can you pick the skill), or when I could get to 10 souls. I can’t remember where I got the first two. I suspect they are tied to some sort of milestone.

Weird, I got one of those souls very early on. Maybe it’s just a super-rare drop?

I have alternately read that they come from bosses (first kill obviously) and also boss chests.

Boss souls come as a guaranteed drop from boss chests, which are earned by defeating bosses. After you get the boss chest from the first boss, there’s a progress bar that fills up for additional chests - you have to kill two bosses for each of the next few boss chests, then three, and so on. You can also spend a large amount of shards to buy a boss chest, of course, but with how the purchasable amounts of shards in the real-money shop line up with chest prices, if you’re going to spend money like that, you might as well buy the living chest instead, which includes two boss souls.

Still playing, still F2P. Currently on the fifth shard, 13.3 flame power. I have six gear slots now, which will hopefully open up some nice possibilities in the future.

Since I finally reached 300 shards and bought the upgrade that gives +1 SP on each level-up, I decided to experiment with some different builds, but the ones I tried were all worse than the pure-strength March build or the strength/dexterity endless Rage of Darkness crit build. In particular, the pure-wisdom build was even more disappointing than expected, because it turns out over half the skills in that tree aren’t implemented yet. (Good news on that front, though: the dev was talking about wisdom getting some love in the update after the one that’s supposed to hit this week.)

So…is anyone playing this? Did it develop into something interesting?

was thinking it was time to check back in. I’ll update in a few days.

I’m not, but thanks to this thread I’m about two months deep into NGU Idle.

46 days in, farming WALDERP.

After sticking with it longer than everyone else, I ended up dropping Grim Clicker after I tried NGU Idle as well. I’ve mostly been doing long runs because I don’t have a lot of time for short ones right now, but I just killed UUG for the first and second times yesterday.

So im on shard 5 atm, almost able to beat the level 50 boss. i feel like the game is really solid and has good mechanics, that being said i have a few suggestions for skills. Dex 20 (the eye) could be + 0.25 % crit chance that DOESN’T get reset on ritual. Dex 24 i feel should really be a Potentially massive DPS increase where it gives + 25% dmg for every point of energy regen per second. The Dex mask could probably be a click based crit increase until the next crit. not sure if these are good ideas or easy to balance with numbers but would be cool!

Well I am not close to Shard 5. Still on shard 2, making progress.

There are definitely more skills in but I haven’t experimented much. I think there’s stuff going on between shards or galaxies now that wasn’t before. I also noticed somethingf called “flame power” which is a some sort of factor that dictates how much wax you get from candles. I think it’s new.

It’s the same game, but there are more builds opening up it looks like. I am using some magic to enhance a forced march build right now. I’m not sure if straight magic would work still but there’s a lot more on that tree that looks available. I’m level 34 on my current run and that’s still only level 10 strength (which significant investment in March and Fire Claymore or somesuch). A few points in magic for regen and the skill that enhances regen/mana pool. I’m going to log in every day for the two daily quests so I can get to 300 shards and buy +1 SP per level up (33 skill points would be amazing right now).

I said I was going to do quests daily to get to 300 shards so I could buy +1 SP on level up (clearly the best buy, I think) but I kept forgetting. 40 shards to go as of today.

Weapon crafting is, unsurprisingly, turning out to be a big deal. Unfortunately there just isn’t much I can do with it right now; I’ve crafted all I can craft. I did some research and one guy very persuasively argued for taking the starting weapon and turning it into a powerhouse. You need to stack a certain type of charm - +1% damage on level up - but it goes a very long way. Using 4 of them, and some stones that boost base damage/;reduce cost his damage hits scientific notation by level 100 in the weapon. Even with just my one +1% damage on level up charm and a couple of ther minor ones I’m getting returns on that strategy. Unfortunately I don’t really have much good stuff to use in my other weapon slots, especially using March/Fire Claymore builds.

A problem I see is that there doesn’t seem to be a ton you can do with crafting beyond level up gear and then slot the good charms you can get from the very limited pool of types of them. I think there could be some great mechanical depth here, but it doesn’t exist yet.

I am on shard 6 I think. This shard is special: strength does not reset when you ritual. Mind you, it’s just investment into the base strength skill and not sub-skills but. . .yeah.

23 strength is a lot of damage. The mask skill that is available on the far right, where the edge of my bar is, has not been implemented. Neither has the meteor to the left nor one assumes the two skills a few points down to the right. Doesn’t matter. I am going to crush this shard soon.

The hammer with 10 points gives damage (100% per level) and auto upgrades items. The bull’s hed passive with 6 points makes force march build up damage faster, but I don’t think this is the fastest build anymore. Well, with this many “free” points, it’s sort of academic. But a point in rage and a dex build seemed like it was faster at higher levels. The chain skill makes attacks chains (there’s a proc chance) at bonus damage but the range is limited and it’s not super useful right now. Disappointing.

There’s a dex passive called cunning that provides a pelthura of benefits, including a chance to activate an available active skill every 3 seconds (with all it’s benefits, the chance for activation goes up with investment). There’s an active that provides X criticals over your next attacks and it can stack (so you can get it up to say +25 attack criticals and it’ll just keep piling up), and another skill up the tree that gives bonus crit damage and yeah. Rage makes you move faster than march so I think that may be better but maybe not.

Dex has a passive called evolution that gives +1 max energy per level. Why so low? Investment in that passive persists (although you must level dex high enough to unlock it to get the benefits). On a 50 zone world I can’t see it playing a huge role but who knows what’s waiting down the road.

I am going to combine that dex build with strength for kicks.

A concern: beating one shard previously gave me a limited use item that could extract stones from weapons. My current main weapon is capped on stones. I think I may be able to increase the quality again now or soon, but I think I want to remove a stone or two. I kind of hope I can get another one of those devices. Or I think I would prefer if there was a way to get more charges for it, albeit in limited fashion (like once charge per newly conquered shard or something).

noname

It’s currently about 60% of my total weapon damage. My two “late zone” weapons are 30s but I’mn still fairly early in the shard (z19). If I keep going they will go up.