Grim Dawn - An ARPG from Crate (ex Iron Lore aka Titan Quest devs)

I did that at about level 20, I was sick of selling all the time. Not really sure what I need money for anyway, besides for the newest stash upgrades. (Am I forgetting something that I need money for?)

I don’t know for sure, but I’m pretty sure that’s how it works. You assign the devotion ability to a certain skill, but if the skill you assign it to is something that procs once in a blue moon, but then has a chance to work (for example) 51% of the time, then it will only proc 51% of the time on top of the other skill that procs that you assigned it to.

So that’s why I’ve never tested that. I always assign devotion abilities to stuff that I constantly use all the time.

From previous playthroughs, there is something that always ran me out of money, but I can’t remember what it was either. I think it was recipes maybe?

I think I have all the bought recipes. Isn’t there a witch at the end that sells mystery items? Maybe it was that?

Most of the big cost is for buying the 8 stash tabs but there’s also the cash for the crafting recipes, the cash for respec (depending on how much you do it gets more costly) and the cash for buying all the nice equipment from factions once you get enough reputation with them.

If you attach a devotion skill to word of pain, you will get a good amount of uptime and leveling since it’s a damage aoe.

I don’t remember the faction stuff being worth it. The level requirements are too high for what it is.

Most of the best equipment I bought is from the faction vendors. A couple of them had very specific items from my particular type of characters. So it was worth it for me to grind the faction bounties in order to be able to buy those items.

The augments at max faction level basically give you a set of free resistance boosts for your armor and some minor other stats which are valuable in the late game but the preset gear is mostly mediocre.

Yeah, faction is mostly about the augments as I understand it. The best gear-gear I’ve found is either through drops or occasionally crafted from drop-recipes.

Homestead faction has a nice augment that you can get at “Honored” level that adds fire/chaos damage as well as chaos resistance.They stack on top of the material components. I put them on my dual pistols to help boost my chaos resistance which was getting my killed by Cthonians especially the star/hero mobs. Homestead faction is pretty easy to boost just by killing beast heroes. Same goes for Rovers and killing undead.

Ok, my build must be bad or something. Or I just need to gitgud. Whatever. In any event, my 32 Necro/Inquis suddenly can’t beat a boss without dying. Dying a LOT. Like, the boss runs in, 1,2, 3, bam, dead. Try to keep my distance, he closes, bam. My skeletons stand back and shoot crossbows, or run in, but either way, bam, they’re dead.

I may just respec to total full nothing else but pets and see if that works. I’m wearing all blues and nothing I’ve found in the wild so far is anywhere near as good as what I have, but my durability is zilch.

Huh, mine is 36ish and stomping through content. Don’t think I have much in the way of overly special gear - helm with +2 skellies and a nice belt that has an area freeze proc when I am hit and most everything else pretty average.

I am rocking pure Skelly and Blight Fiend, with a couple of points in the Necro and Inqusitor auto-procs, with Fiend devotion assigned to Skellies and Scorpion devotion assigned to Blight Fiend.

About like this at the moment:

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/a2EL0ejN

The pets kill stuff pretty quick and as long as I notice a boss, I can pretty easily keep at range. Do you have the ‘pet attack’ skill bound at all? I usually command them to engage particularly threatening mobs. Could be the Blight Fiend is better at drawing aggro as well.

I had this happen to me last night. I figured out what the damage type was and then boosted my resistance up to 80% with gear/augments/components etc. It was a lot easier. Still had to retreat a couple of times and recast skellies then go back in and luckily his health wasn’t completely reset. I think on Veteran he gets some back. I try and face tank in my Inquisitors Seal for a while and then fall back to a new Seal dropping a rune on the way.

But bottom line is that boss fights are about resistances. It would be nice if they had something like in Shadow Warrior 2 where they listed what they were weak against and what their damage type is in an overhead icon/nameplate.

Edit: Keep calling the seal a sigil

Binding devotions to the pets…I thought that only triggered when you summoned them? Does it trigger when they actually attack? If so, that makes a lot more sense.

I had pet attack bound but they seemed to ignore it or get stuck most of the time. Might try it again. But usually the AoEs from bosses just vaporized them.

I am trying a non-pet build now and it’s much more durable, swapping between dual pistols and sword + board, but doesn’t seem very necro-y. Might try a pet thing again pushing points around. Thanks for the ideas.

Re-specced to eight skellies, and ditched some other stuff and it’s definitely much more like a pet build should be. Seems the key is definitely dumping a ton into the three skellie abilities.

Yep, sure does! Not everything can be bound to pets though, but most of the %att type stuff can be.

Wow, that’s interesting. I never bound anything to pets, since I figured I thought it would only trigger when I cast the spell.

Whoa, yeah, that’s pretty wild. I didn’t even think to bind anything to a pet summons since those are the spells I cast the least. Might have to try it out.

Pro tip: Assign the Flame Torrent devotion to your skellies. It’s amazing.

I didn’t know what Port Valbury was, but I just found it. Seeing that the Conflagration is my least favorite area in the game, it’s just more of the same, except more difficult. Aether outcroppings everywhere, as well as little aether whirlwind type things that can’t be killed. And I didn’t even have a key to get in the dungeon, so I didn’t even make it very far. Not looking forward to coming back with a key, but I will have to give it a try. I wish they would at least put a teleporter by the gate.