Grim Dawn - An ARPG from Crate (ex Iron Lore aka Titan Quest devs)

Yeah, that’s true! I wonder where I could have missed a sidequest that gives me a bag? I thought I’d been doing everything on this run. I haven’t built up my Kymon’s reputation up to do their Respected quest yet, maybe that gives me a bag?

As for the 35 points, I always leave lots of attribute points on the table, in case I ever need to dump a whole lot in order to wear something. I guess 35 is a bit much. I’m using guns, so maybe Cunning will help me the most?

EDIT: I just looked it up. You don’t get a fifth inventory bag until Elite difficulty, doing the same quest in Devil’s Crossing that gives you your first bag.

I have been dumping into cunning because, if I remember correctly, it adds to your chance to crit. The higher the “1.XX” numbers you see the more likely you are to crit…I think…

Been keeping my physique just enough so I can wear everything that isn’t classified as heavy.

You are right that cunning increases crit and hit, specifically OA: (from official website)

"The ability to hit and critically hit is directly tied to your Offensive Ability (OA) and your target’s Defensive Ability (DA). When your OA is higher than your opponent’s DA, your chance to hit and even critically hit will increase.

As you continue to gain more bonuses to your OA, you will reach higher critical multipliers. The highest possible critical multiplier is x1.5, but to achieve this threshold you must either significantly out-level your target or have invested heavily in your OA.

Both weapon attacks and abilities rely on OA to hit and critically hit, so OA is an important attribute for any character. Offensive Ability and Defensive Ability can be increased through Cunning and Physique, respectively, and directly through equipment and skills."

However most builds tend to just dump all points into physique, saving a few in cunning or spirit for end-game items. Item requirements for your class should be obtainable through investing points into your Masteries (always good to max these fairly early).

I finally made it through the chaos void onto the other side last night, into the Malmouth side.

Physical attacks are definitely where I’m the weakest right now. If an enemy runs up to me and whacks me with a big blow, I’m in big trouble. Using the controller instead of clicking on the mouse to run away does help, but not enough. I need one more level. Right now I’m 57, once I hit 58, I’m finally going to make the transition away from Explorer’s Garb. That should give me a LOT more armor, and increase my vitality resist. But it might make me more vulnerable to other types of damage. You never fully know with these massive equipment changes until you actually try them.

Right now I’m mostly vulnerable to two things: Physical blows and Vitality damage, and to a less degree, bleeding damage. Once I hit 58, it should be interesting to change all my equipment around.

I also went into my stash last night and completely emptied out the first two pages in my stash. All that stuff required level 30 and below, and I transferred it all to my inventory and sold it all. It’s nice to do a house cleaning. It’s the first time I’ve done one. The only thing I have in my inventory now is level 50+ and blues and purples.

Obviously my shared inventory continues to have lots of low level blues to help new characters get a leg up.

I apologize for posting in this thread way too much.

So here’s what I did last night: I really wanted that 5th inventory bag, so I decided to start Elite difficulty just for that. And while I was at it, I had also hit level 58, so I switched over my equipment.

My resists didn’t suffer too much. My vitality resist did go up, most other resists stayed at full even on Elite difficulty, or near full. Certain resists in the third tab did go down to zero, and I felt that at times. Certain enemies freeze me in my tracks now. It’s not clear if I’m being frozen, stunned, petrified or what. All those resists used to be pretty good with the Explorer’s set, but are gone now.

I did put on a Prismatic Diamond on my head armor, which is awesome. It gives me 20% damage reflection. It provides a blast-shield-like protection that kicks in when I go below 40% health. Blast Shield itself kicks in when I hit 60% health. So the combination of those has meant (so far), that I’ve only died once to a purple boss, and even that was because I was getting cocky. Getting frozen/petrified hasn’t bothered me too much since I’m usually laying down enough traps that I’m damaging them even when I can’t move or fire.

And I still didn’t get the damn fifth inventory bag yet. It’s farther into Act 1 than I thought. I’ve reached the Burrich estates portal and I still don’t have it yet.

The only one who would ever complain is Discourse.

Indeed. I appreciate it. I’ve been playing a bit lately and it’s enjoyable and informative to hear your experiences, @Rock8man.

Just a quick note on something I noticed last night.

Since I was doing Act 1 Elite difficulty, I was going up against lots of zombies and little green goblin type of enemies that would rush you. I love how all their momentum is coming toward you, and your bullet hits them SO hard that it doesn’t just kill them or halt their momentum, it actually pushes their head back away from you as the rest of their body flails underneath. So you get the satisfaction of head shots constantly killing people with one bullet each, and the satisfaction of your bullets feeling more like cannonballs. This is the reason this is the most addictive ARPG I’ve played since Diablo 2.

My Commando (well, my Demonologist with Menhir’s Will) is now 66 and in act 2 elite and the drops are getting a lot better. So continue on.

I finished Act 1 this morning, but I still didn’t get my fifth inventory bag. What gives?

I guess I could go back to Act 5/6 on Normal/Veteran, since I didn’t get the inventory bag that I made a detour for after all. Level 62 now. Getting close to being the highest level character I have, the highest currently being 65 I think.

My Blast shield is now max level. That still didn’t stop me from dying to the Warden once though. I have to remember I’m not a tank, despite the blast shield and the prismatic diamond. I still need to run around.

What really works in getting big bosses down quickly is this:

Lay down Thermite mines.
Boss steps on mine.
Boss’s fire resist is lowered by 24%.
Hit boss with my normal damage, which includes lots of fire damage.

Did you kill the bug queen? I think that gives up a bag. Not sure what the others are.

I got all 4 of the ones from Normal difficulty, yes, including the bug queen. I think the fifth bag is supposed to come on Elite.

Googling only shows me 4 extra bags, for a total of 5:

1. Devil’s Crossing, Barnabas: And Not a Drop to Drink
  2. Arkovian Foothills, Bernard: Clearing the Way
  3. Homestead, Douglass Sullivan Oldbarrow: Culling the Swarm
  4. Fort Ikon, Weapon Master Edric: Precious Resources

If there’s a 5th additional bag (so six total), I haven’t been able to find it thus far. Maybe my google fu is weak.

Interesting. That implies that you start off with a bag already. I’ll have to check on that by creating a new character.

As for that list, I remember doing 1, 2, 3, 4 for sure on this run. Maybe I need to do the one that got bugged again on Elite to unlock the bag.

I’ll try to remember to check my Warder when I get home. I haven’t played her in quite a while, but she’s L85 (which I assume was the previous level cap?) and has done nearly all of the quests through Ultimate. I’ll see how many bags she has just to make sure we’re looking at the correct amount.

Pretty positive you do not start with a bag, just your main inventory.

Yeah, sorry if I was not typing clearly. I mean 4 extra bags as in extra to the inventory you begin with.

EDIT: Yep, my Warder has 5 of the expanded inventory bags. The wikis aren’t clear on where the 5th one comes from.

I kept playing Act 2, and I got the 5th bag in the Act 2 quest Clear the Way. So there we go. Both my characters that had the fifth bag in the past had also made it past that point. Mystery solved!

I am agonizing over all these purple equipment choices. Which one I choose changes my character so much. One set of purple pants would be much more defensive compared to my offensive pants right now. One belt I could wear would increase my defensive ability by a lot, but change my resistances by a lot, so I’d have to change other equipment around to compensate.

I’m just going to take the lazy way as usual and just keep plowing through with what I’m wearing until I start having trouble.

Ok, so Act 6 is really excellent so far. Malmouth, or whatever is called, is brilliant. The outskirts were great, and now I’ll be heading into the city itself.

I’m so tired of inventory handling though. I’ve switched more and more of my playing to the controller now, and I just switch to mouse and keyboard for the drudgery of inventory management, and deciding what to get rid of in my stash so that I can fit the latest blue or purple thing I found. I’m sick of it.

I think it’s time to change my loot filter again. Only blues and above from now on, and I’ll just carry everything I find from now on. Hopefully I’ll get to the end of the game before my inventory fills all the way up. Once my inventory fills up, I’m done I think.

I just hate inventory management in these kinds of games.

You’re doing Malmouth for the first time on Elite or normal?

I hate the thought of doing the last part of Malmouth again. Really did not enjoy the last couple of areas.