Grim Dawn - An ARPG from Crate (ex Iron Lore aka Titan Quest devs)

Sounds great. Thanks for the info. I look forward to trying it out.

Wow, I’m very pleasantly surprised at how good the gamepad controls are.

I just started to play with the steam controller and it’s been completely playable with my lvl 99 callidor’s sorceress. I had a hiccup where nothing worked at first, turned out I had to reset the default config and then download and copy over a new steam controller template because they borked things as of mid November and still haven’t uploaded the fix to steam.

Once I got over that hump it was great. Steam Input is the bee’s knees.

I ended up retiring my own Purifier for the time being. The killer was the lack of meaningful loot progression for that character through the end stages of Elite difficulty. Once I reached Ultimate, I was dying too much, didn’t care for doing another massive respec and decided to try out the Necromancer class.

With the necromancer, all I can say is “Wow.” Actually, I have more to add than that. This class rocks. All I’ve done so far with my character is a strict pet based class where I’ve maxed my skeletons and have also levelled up my blight fiend. With devotions to keep on buffing the stats of my pets, everything dies quick. It is the lazy way to play.

Looking over the skill tree offers so much potential. Of course I could put points into shaman to get more pets and utilise the bonuses. Or I could start a whole new Necro toon and mix in a bit of nightblade or soldier with the necro’s sweet attack buff skills that he/she has.

I’m over 100 hours with Grim Dawn, and like with Titan Quest, sad to realise I’ve only scratched the surface of the possibilities that character development provides.

I bought the Crucible DLC last night. I’d reached the point where my stash was full of blue/purple items, my shared stash was full of blue/purple items, and now finally my own personal 5 bags of inventory were full of blue/purple items. So before I did the Crucible, I decided to clear some space by cheating.

OK Gendal, I downloaded this Item Assistant thingie. I turned off cloud saves in Steam and in the game, and I moved my save game over to the directory they wanted, and I ran the assistant. I stumbled around in their interface, and couldn’t find my items. I hit import, and found my transfer stash file and chose it, but still nothing. I exited and went into the game, and all my transfer stash was gone!

This included my page full of item ingredients, damn it. I quit the game and went back into the item assistant, and there were all my items. I have no idea how to get them back. Good riddance I guess, except for the page full of tiny little ingredients though. It took over 500 hours to get enough ingredients to populate that page, I want that page back.

Anyway, for now I went back into the game, and emptied my own personal 5 bags into the new empty shared stash, and it took up 2 pages of the new empty shared stash.

Then I did a few rounds of the Crucible. I collected my loot after 50 waves and put it in the shared stash.

So, just to clarify, I have to individually find all the items I want to return to my shared stash and hit the transfer button? Won’t this way take forever to get all my recipe ingredients back?

Update: It took half an hour, but I managed to find all the ingredients in my crappy list stash and transfer it all to my real stash. It goes to Stash page 4. It was a long and annoying process. I really regret using the item assistant. I could have watched an episode of Futurama instead!

A suggestion would be to leave all of your recipe ingredients in slot 1 of your shared stash so all characters can access when crafting or as needed.

Then move any items you don’t want into the third party app and just keep in mind both slot 4 and 5 will be used for the item assistant. It still leaves quite a number of slots available for gear for any of your characters, bearing in mind that the personal stash is never used by the program.

I use the program myself to keep any blues and purples that I’ll possibly want to use for any other characters later down the line. Then it is a simple case of searching for what I want in the program and I can transfer back a few items at a time.

That’s the way it used to be. But when I imported the transfer stash, all the stuff in my shared stash was gone, from stash 1 through 5. It was all in the Item Assistant. I had to manually find every recipe ingredient and transfer it back.

I’ll be sure to move it to Shared page 1 again. But if I import again, won’t it all disappear into the Item assistant again?

Oh ok. My experience with GD Item Assistant is that I place whatever I want stashed into slot 5 of the shared stash. Then you have to exit the stash, and it’ll eventually transfer over to the program. In fact, I think it’ll do it when the game is exited to the main menu. I never have selected the transfer stash option, but I haven’t run the latest update yet either.

You can try GD Stash as well. It gives a little more control, in that you select which tabs to manually export. Also allows you to create backups, IIRC.

One word of warning with GDStash however. It is too easy to import all of the recipes into the game. I did that which pretty much ruined a component of the game of finding the various recipes for different relics and items. In the end, I had to delete the file and have resumed searching for my recipes once more. But again, GDStash is a great tool with Grim Dawn when it comes to modifying characters. Not only is it an item manager, but also a cheat/trainer for your characters. I found it a little unwieldy when managing items however.

I honestly just wish the devs weren’t so damn stingy with stash space. I make dozens and dozens of alts in this kind of game, I like keeping starter gear around for various builds but if I find parts of sets / legendaries for other builds, I want to hold onto them (because without a doubt I will be making a character that utilizes it at some point). Especially with how ridiculously hard it can be to put a set together.

Oh no dude. That’s exactly I said this -

Obviously that wasn’t as explicit or as understandable as I wanted it to be but yeah, don’t put your crafting ingredients in the external program. That way lies madness.

Also do not use item assistent until it is patched.

There is a bug apparently that can eat items until they update it for the new version. Ug. I have been using it for awhile now without issues, after switching from GDStash but of course the day after I recommend it it breaks in a spectacular fashion.

I didn’t do it on purpose. I was just trying to figure out how to use the program. There was only one import/export option, so I used it to import. It didn’t ask me anything about which tabs to transfer or anything. It just said done! And then the item list was still empty. But when I went into the game, the whole stash was empty, including that first page with all the ingredients.

Ah, I never used the Import button, I just let it auto import from shared 5 and it places in shared 4. I just keep purple and blues in the external program. Works great, find it invaluable. That way I only have 1 shared stash tab with all my crafting ingredients.

Yep, so for anyone looking to use it, here’s what I learned:

1. Turn off Cloud saves in Steam
  2. Go into Grim Dawn, Options, turn off Cloud Saves.
  3. Go to Steam/…/save directory, copy the whole save directory to User/blah/save (Don’t worry, when you first start up the program, it will tell you where these two directories are so you can make the transfer.
  4. Start Item Assistant. Notice that it is empty. DON’T IMPORT ANYTHING OR DO ANYTHING. Exit the program.
  5. Start Grim Dawn.
  6. Exit Grim Dawn.
  7. Start Item Assistant. It should now have all the stuff in Stash 5 of the shared stash, I’m guessing.
  8. Start Grim Dawn. Go to shared stash, put more stuff into Stash 5 to transfer it over.
  9. Exit Grim Dawn. Stash 5 should now have transferred over.

I think that’s the ticket, that’s what I should have done. I just got confused when I started Item Assistant and it didn’t have anything in it. I thought I had to import or do SOMETHING in order to start the process since it was empty. But I think that something was to go into the game, and then exit again.

Hmmmm, maybe ignore my post above. Putting things in the last shared stash doesn’t seem to transfer anything. I went to the main menu. I went to the desktop. I started the game again. I close Item Assistant, started it again. I had it closed when I went into Grim Dawn. I had it open when I went into Grim Dawn. All the stuff I put into the last stash is still there.

I went into advanced settings, it’s set to take stuff from the last tab in the shared stash, and put stuff in the second last tab. So it should work, but just going in and out of the game, and going in and out of Item Assistant doesn’t seem to work.

So I guess I have to import? But if I import, it will take all my recipe ingredients in the shared stash again, and I just spent the last 20 minutes beautifully hand-arranging all of it again so it’s super organized in the first shared stash. If I hit import and it takes that stuff away again, I will want to scream and break something.

EDIT: Wait, now it did work somehow. I wonder what I did?

I just picked this up. It’s been a long time since I played an ARPG. Am enjoying it.

I increased to Veteran and the number and difficulty of monsters feels about right.

I am also playing Hardcore. Lost my initial character around level 12, and learned a valuable lesson. New character back up to level 10 quickly.

Am I crazy for playing Hardcore?

I think so, at least until you are used to the game. While Normal/Veteran isn’t very difficult, there certainly are spikes that will get you killed. You will find random hero monsters that can surprise you, and there is at least one area early on that you can wander into that is higher level (it will warn you when you the enter the area about something really powerful being near). The optional stuff is usually much tougher as well, but until you learn where those areas/bosses are, they might get you. Still some people just like that kind of thing, but personally I find the best part of the game is the character development, and you might not be able to get too deep into that on hardcore as a new player.

For first playthrough, there is a good chance you’ll get annoyed. Health loss can happen quickly, and the game doesn’t communicate damage effectively. I agree with LeeAbe, there are some major difficulty spikes, there are areas of the game that will take a person by surprise.