Grim Dawn - An ARPG from Crate (ex Iron Lore aka Titan Quest devs)

Smart money says a new expansion. Pie-in-the-sky money says a Nintendo Switch version.

I imagine console versions would make sense if a game does well enough. I have this vision of money raining from the skies!

I have to imagine that it’s a console release announcement. I don’t think you put that kind of work into working in solid gamepad support without that being the plan.

Now if I’m being greedy, I would love it if they announced an expansion to go along with it!

One thing I’ve noticed combing through all 5 sections of my shared stash is that there’s either hardly nothing in terms of legendary drops for Occultists or else I’ve had really bad looking seeing them. Weird. Just me or is this a known thing for the game?

Heh. I’ve got the opposite problem. I just looked through my softcore stash, and in my (purple) Legendary tab, I’d say 80% of the items have a boost to Occultists skills as at least one of the bonuses.

And you probably don’t play an Occultist. One of my other gripes with the game is rarely is a legendary/epic drop useful to the toon that sees it. My Occultist is 45 and I’ve seen the same 4-5 blues drop repeatedly, and none of them useful.

In general, mobs tend to drop more items based on the damage type they are doing. There is a lot of vitality gear that drops in mountain deeps, a lot of fire gear in bandits, etc. The best way to find gear, is to farm areas that are using the same damage type you are, at least it has been for me.

This makes certain classes harder to gear early on, as mobs tend to use more mundane/common attacks early on. You can find a lot of fire/phys stuff early on, but it’s very tough to find chaos damage etc.

Since my last Warlock died to the Warden, I’m now cultivating another one. This one is only on the fourth portal in Act 1, but with Flash Freeze + Greater Fireball, it won’t take too long to reach the Warden again.

My theory this time on how to survive the Warden: A pet. I put one point into Hellhound on the Occultist side, and i gave him Eldrich fire devotion skill, so wherever he goes, he triggers that fire under his feet.

I’m hoping that when I get to the Warden eventually, having a hell hound will be enough of a distraction that the Warden will not always focus his fire on me. Which might give me enough of a window to kill him since I can do so much damage. If I can just get a small window in which I’m not trying to dodge and go on offense against him, and not worry about getting hit, then I think I can get him.

Just for grins I rolled a Cabalist who has a lot of pets. It’s amazingly easy so far, I’m just rolling through monster after monster. Even did that area with the skeleton key … Is it the steps of torment? Got to the end at level 33-ish without too much trouble.

The bad thing about having a pet class as it makes non-pet classes feel so much slower. It sure is fun though!

Pet cabalist is one of the best builds in the game at the moment, they are super fun as well I think.

In my experience with a Necromancer, the Warden just ignores pets and goes after you. It’s not an issue if you avoid him and let the pets do their damage, but it can be tricky if you get stuck between his summons and whatnot.

An update: I survived my solo encounter against the Warden on Saturday. My hellhound did die a couple of times, but I think what helped me the most was that I put about 6 points of Maven’s shield and 5 points into the momentary invulnerability. The cool thing about putting more points into the momentary invulnerability is that it lowers the cooldown timer. So putting one point is all I thought I needed for any build since the length of time you’re invulnerable stays the same. However, I realized on Saturday that putting more points into it lets you use the ability more often during a boss battle, since it drastically lowers the cooldown timer on it with every point you spend in it.

Anyway, so overall, the battle went pretty smoothly. I think the Warden did ignore the Hellhound, but the hellhound died anyway because of the abilities of the Warden’s area of effect attacks. But my own defensive abilities kept me alive. My own aether resist and Stun duration reduction were fairly high too, so that helped.

In fact, it’s pretty amazing how Stun duration reduction is so important in keeping a hardcore character alive. It’s another one of those things that you can pretty much ignore in softcore, but becomes one of the focal points in staying alive in hardcore.

Meanwhile, my Vitality Tank aka Petless Conjurer kept moving forward in Homestead with my Reaper friend. We were such a great team. We took down the Grand Vizier and the Queen. Before we moved onto the Blood Grove, I said, you know what, this is probably a bad idea but let’s go look at the Conflaguration (or whatever it’s called, the glowing green area at the end of which you have to claim the Cannons for the Black Legion). He only plays hardcore so he had never reached Homestead before we teamed up. I warned him that we would probably die because of environmental hazards and that Aether resistance doesn’t help. You just have to make it to safe areas and take health potions correctly.

The plan was to do it for a minute, just to show him it was insane, and then back off and ignore that quest, since it’s totally not worth doing in hardcore for the risk it poses.

We ran into the Confligration area. He died before he made it to the first safe area.

Sigh. Next time we’re ignoring that area. Damn it. We had a really great team going.

New Expansion coming second half 2018 called “Forgotten Gods”

Woot.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?s=9b53330529011cef896e949ca7a412a6&t=68923

Wow. New Expansion. I parsed that announcement to see if it’s possible that we get another base class.

And it is possible! They mention “new powers”. That could mean a new base class, but it could also be new powers as part of new unique equipment they mention.

New expansion is always welcome. I might even have a single level 100 character by then!

I rolled a cabalist the other night and it’s awesome. I’m in Act 2 and there hasn’t been a problem that can’t be solved by throwing skellingtons at it.

Yay, that’s much better news than an xbox one port. Though that will likely have nice repercussions for the PC & gamepad crowd. Interested to see how they handle the inventory. That’s the one real point of pain with the current implementation.

It’s already a better implementation of inventory than Path of Exile did with their Xbox One port. So I doubt we’ll see much improvement over what we currently have.

And it isn’t bad. Sometimes I’m too lazy to switch to the mouse when doing inventory, and I can do it on gamepad just fine in those instances. Again, it’s not ideal, but it’s way better than Path of Exile.

Curious about the new game mode. I’m betting it’s seasons.

Interesting theory. If it is seasons, then it will likely be the reason I’ll finally stop playing this game.

Step 1, make Season characters.
Step 2, get Season characters inventory dumped into regular inventory
Step 3, throw hands up in the air like you just don’t care.

I still don’t even understand what seasons are. Every time I load up Diablo III now I’m just completely confused about what’s happening and what I’m supposed to be doing.

/getoffmylawn