Grim Dawn - An ARPG from Crate (ex Iron Lore aka Titan Quest devs)

I hate those environmental hazards. I think they also show up in Port Valbury. They’ll stop firing if you wait long enough, so it’s possible to kind of creep through the dungeons that way.

Some screenshots from the upcoming expansion!

Wow, didn’t even realize another expansion was coming out (not sure why I assumed that). Just when I thought I got out, they are going to bring me back in. Of course it’s probably won’t be out until 2019.

It’s supposed to be out in “second half of 2018”. And yeah, even though I’m trying to get out, I will definitely come back for another expansion.

I’m selfishly hoping 2nd half of 2018 means really late in 2018.

Update!

[Major New Features]

• A great beast stirs within the waters of Ugdenbog. Worshiped by the local Slith as a god, it yearns for fleshy sacrifices. Seek out Kra’vall the Ancient of the Waters within central Ugdenbog if you dare and earn new Monster Infrequents exclusive to this powerful foe.
  • The introduction of new factions with the upcoming Forgotten Gods expansion necessitated some minor changes to the save format. As such, characters loaded in v1.0.6.0 are not compatible with earlier versions of the game.
  • Three new Legendary quality sets have been added to the loot pool: Radaggan’s Folly, Rimetongue and The Blood Knight. These 4-piece sets open up new ways to build your characters. Good luck on the loot hunt!
  • Item Level Requirements have been removed from the Illusionist. You may now apply illusions on an item regardless of what level the illusion is (ex. make a level 1 character’s gear look like a level 94’s gear).
  • Nemesis bosses are now marked on the minimap with a skull icon when they are near.

I’ve been seeing suggested Youtube videos in my feed telling me there’s a new expansion for this game on the way. Unfortunately, I’ve never really been able to get into the base game because progress seemed punishingly slow. I always felt like I was doing something wrong, but when faced with the idea of trying to figure out how to speed things up so I could get to interesting builds and upgrades, instead of mere +1% on some dumb skill every time I leveled up, I would just end up returning to Diablo 3 and dumping in another 100 hours instead.

The thing is, I want to get what I paid for with this game, and I feel somewhat obligated to keep playing until things get interesting. So my question is… when does this happen? Right now the couple characters I’ve focused on still seem stuck hammering the same 1-2 skills all game long, and every time I upgrade them it’s for some miniscule percentage on something. My loot is still crappy, and I always seem to be short on healing.

So what classes/builds are, for lack of a better term, fun?

I found Grim Dawn pretty engaging from the start, so not sure I can answer that in a way that would satisfy you.

Dual wielding pistols is pretty fun I find.

I bounced off GD quite a few time before it stuck. I found it pretty horrible in terms of introducing me to things. I also found myself wandering around for hours not really knowing where I was suppose to go. Once I had started it enough times to learn where I was suppose to be going on the critical path, it got better for me.

It’s a fairly obtuse game, with too many different resists to worry about, and it really does tend to devolve into a handful of skills you tend to spam. That being said, once you “get it” it can be really fun. It’s a pretty easy game up to a certain point, but it’s also entirely possible to hit a wall where the failure in your build becomes sort of game breaking.

Anything with Shaman in it is pretty good, Even a pure shaman, at least for the first runthrough. The lightning / 2 hand / ranged skill is fairly fun for starters. Also the swarm skill that you get early on can carry you through a lot of the game, easy to play a hit and run dot type character. Shaman/Warrior is super tanky and can go either ranged or 2h melee…lots of options. Shaman/Necro is also ridiculously powerful.

GD is one of those games…if you enjoy goofing around with class combos, it’s fantastic. I love that stuff, and that’s where I got most of my enjoyment out of the game. The moment to moment gameplay isn’t particularly riveting, but the class and skill combos are really second to none, it’s a fun system to experiment in.

On, I thought the expansion is already out. I’m waiting for it to go back in.

While waiting, I’m trying to get into Diablo 3 but it doesn’t grab me the same way. Maybe it’s because I chose a bland class (barbarian), but I haven’t seen any exciting skill or loot yet

That’s pretty much Diablo 3 in a nutshell, for me. It’s popcorn, so while it’s easy to pick up and play it never leaves me very satisfied. I need something with some extra crunch like Grim Dawn or Path of Exile bring.

Well, I like them both. I find the moment-to-moment combat in both these games to be the best in the genre.

@kerzain, I’d suggest trying some different classes. You can level up enough to try a few skills with each of the base classes in about an hour of play or maybe two hours. Whichever skills you find the most satisfying, stick with that, and try to find a good build online for that class.

Nearly every class in Grim Dawn has some deeply satisfying skills to use. And that’s how I base my characters too. There’s skills like Word of Pain that are theoretically strong, but just aren’t satisfying to use, so I just ignore those. I’d rather kill things in satisfying ways, and Grim Dawn has a lot of skills that cater to that desire.

Not to forget, GD has excellent full controller support which makes it even better!

Do different DOTs of the same type stack on enemies? Example:

I have a shield that procs a 250dmg fire-based DOT 20% of the time I block.

I also use a skill that tosses a molotov cocktail at enemies that does a 300dmg fire-based DOT over a few seconds.

Because they’re both fire I don’t know if one overrides the other or if they stack.

Yah, different skills stack. A lot of the point of making builds, is finding those synergies. Using one class for the dot, and another to debuff the enemy to that damage type for instance.

wow! never tried it with controller and i greatly prefer playing with one (when it doesnt gimp you). noted.

Oh man, you’re in for a treat.

The only thing that’s kind of wonky is the inventory management. It’s do-able with the controller once you get in the groove of it, but in the beginning I just switched to the mouse to handle inventory. Other times when I was too lazy to reach for the mouse, I got pretty good at using the controller too. But don’t let the inventory scare you away from using the controller.

After my post five days ago that whined a bit about my inability to get into the game, I spent the last five days pushing through it, trying to get to the “good stuff.” I just finished killed the final boss and unlocked Elite difficulty.

My first character (before my original post post) was some sort of Shaman that used 2-handers. I found it extremely boring because I was mowing through everything on Veteran, and never felt the need to do anything other than hold my mouse button down and walk forward for hours at a time.

I ended up creating a new character, a Pyromancer (Demonologist & Occultist). I utilized a sword & shield, molotov cocktails, and applied nearly all of my devotion points (I think I ended the game with 17 or 18) to beefing up crow and hellhound pets.

My new guy was still tearing everything up on Veteran difficulty, but my strategies were more varied, my build more interesting, and I even had to kite a couple bosses here and there while my fire bombs and pets did the majority of the work.

Because I don’t want to spoil anything, I haven’t read any build guides or anything, so I look forward to seeing what else the game has to offer.

I’m finally getting into the meat of the game, and it’s finally becoming clear to me why the game is so adored. I was having a truly great time near the end when my gear and skill build started to matter more.

It’s just too bad the game doesn’t run as well as Diablo 3 on my system, but it doesn’t ruin the experience for me if I just play with everything on law settings.

Glad to hear you are enjoying it. As I have said countless times in this thread, I think elite is the best difficulty level. You have to be careful, but everything is doable, even if you have a lousy build/equipment.

This has been on my regular rotation for a while now, so I’m really looking forward to the next expansion - even after I lost interest in Path of Exile (which is fantastic, but just requires a bit too much time commitment, what with it having that competitive aspect in the league system), I’m still pottering about with this on and off.

I just love playing around with the builds, and the system is really nice for that, with lots of fiddly aspects that actually do things - you can create mighty, facerolling builds or you can create trick pony builds with odd synergies. Great fun. It’s like rummaging around in an attic, and the way the mechanics are set out is both opaque enough and informative enough to give you that feeling. I have the GDTH trainer set up for just going straight into high level builds fully geared up with a couple of (so to speak) “blank” lvl 100 characters (based on a save available on Nexus), so I can sample the high-level playstyles, and I’ve also got a few characters I’ve “grown with” and am invested in.

But the story, writing and setting are also quite compelling too (well-encapsulated by the marketing imagery, that mix of Puritan fashion, mediaeval and cowboy time period and technology levels, and the almost Fallout-like post-apocalyptic art design for the game world), and I keep discovering new bits of lore and odd little nooks and crannies I never explored before. (The only major bummer is the voice-acting, which isn’t absolutely terribad, but mostly just short of mediocre.)

Good, solid development team, I think: it’s a game that doesn’t look or feel “expensive,” but it works, it’s of a piece, it’s got a vision and it’s sticking to it.

So you can okay with mouse and controller switching between them at will? Or do you have to go to a menu to switch from one to the other etc?