Grim Dawn - An ARPG from Crate (ex Iron Lore aka Titan Quest devs)

Nice.

You could do a shaman primal strike build as discussed above, and just put some points into the pet…lemme go look at planner.

Something like this would be pretty badass. You’d have a not trivial pet that actually agros pretty well, and you’d still have really strong ranged attack via 2h gun.

Lightning ranged shaman with pets.

Crap now I want to go level this lol.

Thanks!

Apparently so. I just started a new character, briefly, just to see how the game looked. Got overwhelmed as soon as I crossed the bridge and had to be a bit more careful. Think it’s time to start playing again. Once I am done with Dragon Quest XI at least.

Level one is horrid. Literally finding your first weapon and investing in your first skill at level 2 make a 10x difference in your power.

It reminds me of being level 1 in D&D back in the day. Running around with 1hp while only having a magic missile and a dagger to work with. :)

It lasted all of one minute though.

Literally my favorite part of nearly every game. I love that early search (struggle) to upgrade your equipment, and GD was no different. Just thinking of it has me itching to start a new character (but I can’t! too much to do!).

Trying to think about what I want to play. Usually I have a 100 ideas, but since I haven’t played in awhile, nothing is coming to mind. What is the current hot class to play? Not finding much of anything searching. Seems it was Death Knight, but it was nerfed?

Telling you man, this cold-focused Nightblade is 75 and going strong with no particular equipment of note; he’s self-found.

Really can’t recommend this enough.

I started a druid with using primal strike (which I’ve never used before believe it or not) and the tornado dude. It’s been pretty fun so far but I am only around level 14. Sent you start a shaman you can do that vitality attack that pretty much Insta deletes things until around the end of act one if that is more your style.

Also shaman can have the big old Briarthorn pet if you’re into that.

You could always check out the Grim Dawn Item Assistant Mod. It lets you export gear into a program thats much easier to sort thru etc. I honestly don’t keep anything except for really good low level things and high level legendaries but I also havent ever tried to farm for a matching set of anything, I imagine it would be easier using a mod like this to collect the sets…

Progress report: I finished all content on Elite with my Lightning Druid, and moved onto Ultimate difficulty.

Unfortunately, after I finished Act 1, I got the bonus quest to go that island for so-and-so’s notes, which is a high level quest I think, I was doing fine until I tried to hit a shrine there. If this had been a hardcore character who had survived thus far, this would have been a pretty painful death. Stupid green shrine. I died for the first time since pre-level 50.

And not just that. I kept going back to retrieve my corpse, and I kept dying over and over. Let me look through the boss database to see if I can spot the fucker who kept killing me.

I think it was this guy: Iceskorn.

Now, keep in mind, this was a green shrine, so he wasn’t alone, he was surrounded by about 4 other bosses, not to mention his own spawns, and all their spawns. I see that he does Olexra’s Flash Freeze, which lowers my Physical Resist by 25%. That does explain why I was taking so much more damage than normal by all the creatures surrounding me, including this guy. And he took FOREVER to finally bring down. I think I died about 5 times, and I only finally brought him down because his damage persisted across my deaths, if you know what I mean.

Hopefully there’s not TOO many monsters like that on Ultimate difficulty.

He was from a green shrine, and it was also the sheer quantity of bosses coming at me at the same time. Maybe if I ignore green shrines for a while and stick to the main quests, I’ll be fine? Like I said, nothing else in the game has given me any trouble since I was low level.

One thing that might help is that I recently found the blueprint in the game for Seal of Might.

By using this thing, I’ll be doing less damage than if I use something else, but at this stage, it’s not about damage, it’s about being able to take hits. Check it out, this thing will give me another 4% physical resistance:

And it’s constantly on, instead of triggering when I get hit. Very cool. I can’t believe I’m still finding so many blueprints in the game. It really is amazing how much they’ve grown the loot in the game with these two major expansion packs.

It’s not even just the expansion packs. They add new items pretty much every patch. Not to mention all the UI work and other additions they’ve done outside of expansions. The loot totems came after the last expansion. They are reworking green loot again in the upcoming patch. I’ve been really happy with how they’ve continued to support this game and would continue to buy any additional DLC content they might if it means they’ll just keep making this thing better.

Oh yeah, the post release support has been outstanding.

I reached level 99 last night. This is the first time I’ve played an Immortal character since the big balancing patch, and it’s been really smooth leveling all the way to 99. Just one more level to go.

In the campaign, on Ultimate, I’m kind of split, I’m doing Forgotten Gods, because I want the ability to convert the set items I’ve been finding into other sets, but that’s not unlocked unless I play at least half-way through Forgotten Gods. (Yes, I know I can do this by dropping the difficulty, but I’d rather unlock it in the Ultimate campaign). Meanwhile I’ve also been doing some quests in Homestead as well.

It will be nice to put an end to this playthrough by actually finishing the game on Ultimate difficulty for the first time.

I’m also hoping that Crate drops that patch soon where you can upgrade your equipment to Empowered/Mythical through recipes. I’d love to upgrade my Praetorian Set. It’s amazing for any character, but it’s really low armor by now. I’d love to upgrade it.

did they ever tone down the environmental damage from the green ground? when i played it couldnt be resisted, and after it killed me a few times i stopped playing hardcore. but then i gradually lost interest without the hardcore elelement.

They did not. You just have to be really careful. There’s only about 3 areas in the game with green areas that you have to traverse. Most of them are optional. Once I got used to it, I haven’t had any hardcore deaths there.

thanks for the info!