Grim Dawn - An ARPG from Crate (ex Iron Lore aka Titan Quest devs)

Now I have no excuse not to make a whole new character and run through the entire game + dlc YET AGAIN.

g6m0rhy

Seriously. These folks know how to support a game. It’s up to #2 on my Steam game time list only a few hours behind Pillars of Eternity and this has me wanting to go another round. I will resist so I can play other games but I’m keeping Grim Dawn installed and available for whenever I have another chance.

Can’t wait for another game from Crate. Hope GD has been good to them.

Same! I think I’m ready for a new game at this point. Love Grim Dawn but I’m ready for a change of scenery and a fresh take.

909 hours currently…probably crack 1k now.

Crate are working on a future game, but there isn’t much out there about it, beyond a screenshot of what is hinted at a medieval town builder. But that was a long time ago now, or so it seems.

Their Future Projects forum section has some artwork posted, if that means anything. As seen in the thumbnail below.

2 Questions dudes:

1. Are there any particular mod recommendations? I am not thinking of something that adds content or retunes loot or how skills work. Anything that helps with the UI, QoL, and graphics I would be very interested in. I am also considering an experience gain mod, are there ones that are particularly good?

2. How do you guys minimise RSI risk in action RPGs? I think I am going to have to change over to the control scheme where when you select a skill it autofires to where the mouse is (to avoid that mouse click). But how do I get around the left and right mouse click skills? Is there a way to autoattack or some other scheme that is effective?

Cheers

(EDIT: never mind, decided to give chronicon a go instead of firing up Grim Dawn again)

Gamepad works pretty well.

Honestly I never thought of playing an Action RPG with a gamepad. I’ve tried it in Grim Dawn and Chronicon now and I must say I like it. The only real pain is inventory stuff.

I play at my desk, so I just switch to m+kb when I head back to town.

GD is especially good at switching between M&K and controller. You can also bind a hotkey to movement in GD so you don’t have to mouse click so much. The only thing I use my mouse for in Diablo or GD is direction, I have everything else remapped to a hotkey. But yah, controller is great in GD.

I learned this trick early on for both movement and attack as the incessant clicking while playing in living room drove my wife crazy.

That’s at least as important as not getting an RSI lol.

Once you done with GD there’s always the updated version of their Greek Lore Hack and Slash that I’ve forgotten the name of.

Titan Quest is a good game too, though weaker in some ways than Grim Dawn.

I would love to see a Titan-Quest type setting with the better gameplay of Grim Dawn with it’s better physics and more satisfying moment-to-moment combat and gamepad support.

But I guess if they’re really doing a city builder or something next, good luck to them. Hopefully they’ll come back to ARPGs after that.

100% this. Loved Titan Quest’s setting both for mythology not being a thing other ARPG’s have done and also for it’s willingness to have some areas that are so much brighter and more colorful. Graphically they’ve made huge strides with Grim Dawn, but that setting(and name) kind of limits things.

Welp I fell back into this. I’ve been in and out a dozen times, and in streaming it on Friday, I was convinced I’d been playing it wrong. Whereas I was focusing on the quests, and getting annoyed and quitting when the game took a very lackadaisical attitude toward helping me find quest stuff, now I realize the main goal here is to clear the map and the quests along the way, so I’m having a LOT more fun just slaying as much as possible.

I’m using the Pet Ritualist build from this page:

And having a DELIGHTFUL time with nine little friends doing most of the slaying for me. ;)

I briefly fired this up today, realized my cheapo wireless mouse is woefully I’ll suited to the task, and began researching a better mouse to pick up. I only played the base game in 2017, recently picked up all DLC, so very eager to do it right.

I’ve never been able to do anything but compulsively clear the full map each time I go through an area. And you’re right, the quests just kind of happen along the way when you do that.