Grim Dawn - An ARPG from Crate (ex Iron Lore aka Titan Quest devs)

I was reminded that I never got the achievement on PC of beating the Warden while being under level 11. It didn’t seem like a thing a sane person would attempt. But now it’s an xbox achievement, and I’m wondering what character I should attempt that with.

Maybe another Lightning Druid? It was very effective, though I can’t remember how effective under level 11.

Pretty sure I did it with a demolitionist with a Searing Ember slotted to just Fireblast + Blackwater Cocktail + Flashbang. The hardest part was getting to him under level 11.

Console players! Tell me what you hate about this game! I always read good things about ports and then there’s usually some detail that is minor to some, but ruins it for me. I think i saw text scaling is a thing now? Good.

Also: if it were to come down to playing this or the recent Diablo 2 re-release on console, which would you go with?

I have the D2 remaster on XSX and I want to love it so much. But the tiny inventory and shitty save system really bugs me.

I haven’t played this in almost a year, my longest stretch yet. New Steam Deck should be here tomorrow and I plan on giving this whirl on that.

I tried it last night…just didnt like the camera. I love D3’s camera but with this game I felt like I constantly had to rotate the camera and I would either zoom in too far and feel too close or out too far…just never liked the camera view…I think that’s why i didnt play it much on the PC either, but I dont remember.

Does the camera lock where you set it? Or does it reset itself during conversations like Divinity? Man, that bugged me.

I just leave the camera alone. I zoom in just a little bit from the maximum so my character isn’t too small, and then I never touch it.

Same here. I don’t really feel the need to adjust the camera much in this game. And when I do, it is really manageable, no issues.

Last night I got to the basement that’s the start of the area that leads to the Warden. AdamB’s Archon build is pretty fun. Basically I just spam everything with bees so far. Since I’ve maxed out the swarm long ago, it seems really powerful, but a little less effective already. I think he mentioned above that he found the green daggers that give bonus damage to the swarm later in the game. So I’m looking forward to that. Hopefully the Swarm will still be effective through most of Veteran difficulty until then. I hit level 22 last night and I almost have that lightning totem thing that will do vitality damage instead. So I can start pumping points into that soon. Looking forward to that.

I think this is only the 2nd or 3rd time I’ve tried building a character that does vitality damage, so I’m not sure what I’ll run into that’s going to be resistant to vitality damage that I need to watch out for. I had a couple of hardcore characters that tried vitality damage, but I think they both died somewhere in Act 3 on Elite difficulty.

I played again last night and got more used to the camera…enjoyed it … will be playing more!

I watched the video that @zenblack linked above and I thought I saw a checkbox for ‘lock camera’ in one of the options menus that was shown.

Yeah, there is indeed a lock camera option. I’ve never used it though, since I never move the camera anyway. I always figured, hey, what if I really really need to move it, for some reason? (I have over 1200 hours in this game btw).

On the xbox, it does not really lock the camera…just locks the view toward North or something random like that. I checked it and I could still rotate the camera and zoom in/out. I always rotate the camera view, cant imagine leaving that alone.

I leave it alone 90% of the time because the landscape design for me is such that i hardly ever feel views are so obstructed I need to adjust it. Of course, I’ve put maybe 15 hours at most in ths game, so could be that’s not the case in later areas.

(One game that badly needs camera control to begin with is Torchlight 2, I don’t know how they didn’t think it was necessary. )

I played T2 with my kiddo an never even thought about the camera. I just like to have it facing the direction I’m facing at all times but it does not do that. I know D3 and T2 didnt do that either but for this one, I keep rotating. Oh well, will get used to it.

As long as the zoom stays where you put it, that’s all i care about.

I’ve bounced off Grim Dawn more times than I can remember, I finally have a controller (PS5) for my PC, I am assuming it supports that and does it make a noticeable difference to anyone who has played. I know I am in a tiny minority that has not played a lot even though I am one who has put hundreds of hours into Diablo 3.