Grim Dawn - An ARPG from Crate (ex Iron Lore aka Titan Quest devs)

Looks identical to TQ but with slightly better graphics. I’m in.

maxing one of the top level hunting skills gives you a 16% chance to fire 3 arrows. you can do that 100% of the time in diablo 2 at about level 6.

in warfare, you get a sweet a 10% chance to hit 3 enemies. again, a low level diablo 2 skill.

that kind of nonsense plagues titan quest’s skill trees.

I’m still not sure what the actual problem is. You get plenty of actual abilities in the trees and any more would just make combat clumsy. Singling out talents you don’t like because they’re inferior to Diablo 2 seems pretty silly.

i singled those skills out but they are far from unique in their awfulness. the typical titan quest fight began with me wondering when the skills i used 3 fights ago would finally be ready again. then i’d fire a single arrow into a single enemy until it died and if i was lucky i’d get two arrows and maybe some other effects. not that i’d see them, of course, the second arrow is just as hard to catch as the first. the friend i was playing with had his own version of this with a dual wielding warrior. it’s boring to partcipate in and sleep inducing to watch. and i’m talking about high level play, i don’t even know how we made it that far.

meanwhile in diablo 2 i’m shooting ice arrows and fire arrows and 4 or 5 arrows with every click of my mouse while my friend is jumping into crowds of monsters and smacking them halfway across the screen and making the rest of them run in fear. neither of us have reached level 10 yet. it’s the same way in torchlight, fate, sacred, and any competent action rpg.

It sounds like you didn’t play long enough. My ranger was a god among men whose arrows pierced through enemies and hit all enemies in a line, exploding shrapnel upon each enemy contact. I also had a entourage of animals following me around each of which casted buffs on me. Then there were the traps I could throw down and the de-buffs I could cast on enemies that had piercing resistance to soften them up…

tl;dr - Anyone that got bored and didn’t play past Normal can complain about that, but don’t complain about the lack of skill/spell variety. It just shows that you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Your experiences don’t match mine at all, bakka. Or anyone I’ve seen talk about TQ, really. “High level play” and you’re doing nothing but shooting arrows? I don’t get it. Hunting and Warfare are both pretty strong trees, so I’m just not sure where you’re coming from, aside from Hyperbole Land.

Yeah, not to join the pile on, but even with all the passive stuff combining masteries added up to a ton of awesome possible options for builds that were exciting. The lower levels weren’t awe inspiring, but as you progress it really was terrific.

The game had its warts, but is still one of my favorite arpgs ever. In fact, I just reinstalled it and am playing again. It doesn’t seem to leave my hard drive for all that long really. Even today it looks good and isn’t dated in the same way D2 is.

It’s pretty obvious he didn’t actually get to Legendary. At that point you have a ton of gear that increases attack speed and other stuff, not to mention each mastery has like 9 skills with synergies.

maybe i’m just incompetent but that’s how it went down. and i’m certainly never going back to try and fix my supposed faults. so to hear me tell it, titan quest is horrible.

no, we quit somewhere on the second difficulty. so my high level play claim might be wholly exaggerated. however, beating a game twice before it gets fun sounds like a whole lot of no fun to me.

See, the even stranger part is that you played through an unfun game twice.

Yeah the one fault of the game is cheating the length by making the player play 3 times through to get to the good stuff. I’d recommend some mods to increase levelling speed if you weren’t so dead set against it by now. If you can get ahead of the level curve then it’s really easy going until you hit the max then Legendary Hades gets really hard again without proper gear.

You will have to farm but honestly you can’t hate farming if you loved Diablo 2, in which you had to play the game 3 times as well.

i don’t think that’s very strange. i once played through all of johnny moseley’s mad trix and the original fable and absolutely despise them both. bullshitting with some friends on skype while i played titan quest made the experience tolerable, even if i didn’t enjoy the game, until something else came along.

i’ve played more diablo 2 than any other game by a few hundred hours and have rarely found myself bored with it. that includes a fair bit of time playing single player.

no worries though, i now value my time much more than to ever do any of the above things again.

Ah theres the line we were all waiting for.

In vanilla TQ, “you will have to farm” would be the understatement of the century. Loot was stretched so incredibly thin it killed any enjoyment for me.
Before anybody asks, I only finished TQ once and then shelved it forever.
I didn’t even bother with the expansion, even so I’ve heard it addressed the horrible loot balance to a degree.
As soon as they adjust this a bit out of the box, this can be a fine game.

rezaf

I would say it’s pretty normal for these type of games!

That looks like Titan Quest, alright.

Though the way he expressed his point might have lacked a little grace, he’s right that the combat and skills in TQ were less impactful and, dare I say, “visceral” than one might hope for a game like this.

Also, in that clip the character’s movements were pretty robotic, and the connection between what he was doing and how the monsters were reacting was a little clunky and mechanical. It’s still rather early, and those systems could improve, but there definitely is a disconnect on display there.

So, uh, I’ve been closely following the development of Grim Dawn. So here are a few points from what I’ve been reading:

1. Combat was recognised as being sleep inducing in Titan Quest, and as such, the dev’s are doing what they can to make it less so. Destructible environments are in, diverse skills exist (apparently) though there might be some similar overlap.

2. Loot system and tables are meant to be more refined by my understanding. Part of the problem in Titan Quest is that the what you see is what you get system was inherently flawed in that monsters only ever dropped what they had equipped. In Grim Dawn, monsters may carry items that aren’t actually equipped. So, it could be entirely possible for a zombie archer to actually drop a sword for instance. Crate have done what they can though to ensure it still makes sense, so it won’t be like Diablo et al where there is a chance insect swarms will drop platemail. In fact, insect swarms in Grim Dawn will probably drop nothing I would say.

The tl;dr is that the team at Crate appear to have taken a lot of what worked and didn’t work in Titan Quest and used that as guidance in developing Grim Dawn. The proof will be in the final package of course, but there is a lot of hard work gone into this project, with the guys apparently working day jobs on top of developing the game, and they don’t want to screw it up.

That said, they’ve already got my money, so I’m in for the ride anyway…

Huh? Vanilla TQ had tons of loot. There was plenty of plain stuff, but I much prefer that over the ridiculous flood of multi-enchanted items that most CRPGs (action or not) tend to drown you in. Magic is supposed to be special, after all, and I liked that good non-magical items could be viable alternatives to weaker magical ones.

I had no complaints about TQ’s skills or combat, either. I don’t need or want screen-filling effects with every single strike, that would be ridiculous. Titan Quest was my favorite of all the Diablo clones, and I hope Crate won’t change its formula in some misguided attempt to appeal to people who hated TQ anyway. The only improvement I’d like to see is a random map generator…

Of course there was tons of loot, it’s part of the genre.
But most of it was totally worthless.
I remember gaming sessions where I played for an entire evening, say five hours, without getting anything worth keeping.
In a game where phat loot ™ is part of the gameplay, that’s unacceptable to me.
But appearently you liked it, so maybe it’s just me.
We’ll see how it’ll pan out in the end.

rezaf

I believe the map will be fixed, but I think there is the option of randomly generated dungeons.

The expansion brought in a broken RNG. Some sessions a player could be rewards with a metric ton of good loot, and some sessions would be as dry as the Sahara desert (or my love life… sigh). There is a program called Defiler that actually enables an RNG fix, however I am still finding occasions where the good loot would drop rarely.

Of course, as has been stated in the TQ thread many times, the green items were actually as good if not better on numerous occasions than the blue or purple items. I still preferred the unique items though because of the artwork, so my character could at least look like he or she meant business (especially my legendary Haruspex).

In fact, that is one other thing I liked about TQ is that the items looked a lot better in the game than they did in Diablo 2.