Grim Dawn - An ARPG from Crate (ex Iron Lore aka Titan Quest devs)

Did the Crate Story pdf ever come out?

Decided to try my first Humble Monthly. If I want a challenge should I start on normal or a higher difficulty. I don’t need it to be crazy hard, but I want it to require some thought.
Thanks

You can only select from the lowest difficulty on your first run through. The other two open up after you beat the preceding difficulty level. But you can select veteran mode to make it slightly more difficult. I didn’t find normal/veteran to be too tough, but there are difficult spikes, so just try not to go charging into new areas.

K thanks

Anyone know about how much is left after killing the warden? Anything happen after that to shake things up for the better?

I’ve been wanting to gamble on a Humble Monthly, so that’s why I got Grim Dawn. I thought maybe I’d like GD and maybe I’ll be surprised by some other games. Forcing the player to start on the easiest difficulty level (even with veteran mode selected) is just silly. Like LeeAbe says above, the only thing I’ve really needed to do was make sure I didn’t get myself surrounded. Other than that no real thinking or planning is required.

I had accumulated over 50 health potions just from loot drops and had to drink one now and then. When I fought the warden I probably drank 15 of them. I knew it was likely that GD wouldn’t have legs with me.

To me, a Diablo-like game only gets interesting it you are given some enemies that you can’t just click your way through. Victor Vran make maneuvering and positioning more fun. Not sure if there has been anything interesting about Grim Dawn, other than looking pretty nice.

The Warden is at the end of Chapter 1. I think there are 3 more chapters afterwards. It certainly gets more challenging but not crazy until you restart on Elite difficulty. There is a couple of dungeon challenges that can be quite fun and difficult. The game is mostly about having the right resistances for the right enemies. I played as a melee character so this was especially important, there was some maneuvering to do as well. I really enjoyed the game and I would stick with until you complete your first playthrough.

Huh, I was thinking of picking up the Humble Monthly, but you might have just un-sold me. Long easy slogs before getting to the interesting/challenging part of the game are one of my biggest peeves with games these days.

I still find it more fun then any other similar Diablo-clone that I have played. If you like this sort of game then I would definitely recommend it.

Put it on veteran mode then. I waltzed up to lvl 9 with it on, at which point I started getting knocked down hard. Your build and current equipment is what will have the largest effect on the difficulty level.

I’m level 23 (in veteran mode) and I haven’t been killed yet. The warden knocked me low several times, but it wasn’t too hard to heal up and avoid him if I needed a little down time.

The Warden isn’t difficult, even in the harder difficulties. The act 2 boss is a pain in the ass on normal difficulty, but still not bad, just lots of crap to deal with (my main character had a horrible time with him on ultimate difficulty). You can access one of the more difficult dungeons in act 2. It is sealed so you can only go in once without having to craft a new key, and it’s a bit of a fight to just get to it, but if you want more difficulty, that might be for you.

Grim Dawn may just not be your thing. I loved it, but it doesn’t seem to have a strong following. Although it did sell fairly well I guess.

To be fair, Diablo-style games aren’t typically my thing. I liked Diablo 1 and maybe 2, and thought Victor Vran was pretty good, but i haven’t liked Diablo 3, Torchlight 1 and 2, and maybe some others. So Grim Dawn may be a perfectly good Diablo style game.

What?? If you don’t like those, there is no saving you!

They’re fun, but they feel shallow after a while.

Best Diablolike I’ve played this far is Titan Quest (+ Immortal Throne). Second place is probably Grim Dawn, though Diablo 3 and Victor Vran have their own charm.

Wow, rhamorim usually utters truth, but in this case, I’m willing to concede that maybe he’s saying these things because he hasn’t played Hardcore Diablo 2 and hasn’t played enough Path of Exile. :P

All these games do…basically you are grinding for levels in all of them. It’s all about getting one more skill point. I love the lighthearted look/feel of the Torchlight games. They are much more forgiving if you screw up on your build as well, which make them perfect for me. Although I do love the setting of TQ more than most. I am going to play it again once I finish with the Witcher 3.

I’m not a hardcore player. I played Diablo 2, and enjoyed it, but I liked Titan Quest a lot more.

I haven’t played Path of Exile at all. Perhaps one day.

Ah yes. That explains it. I agree that Titan Quest is better than softcore Diablo 2. Diablo 2 changes completely when playing hardcore. In softcore, I found the game very boring and didn’t really understand the appeal of the game. Playing hardcore, and then experiencing your first couple of deaths starts a mental shift and suddenly you start understanding why Diablo 2 is incredible.

I don’t know if I’m good or not, but I do pay a lot of attention to my health - especially since I haven’t died. If I die once I don’t know if I will be as diligent. Health can drop fairly fast if you get close to a mob with a lot of ranged enemies.

I’m curious how others approach these games. The way I’ve been playing Grim D is that I’ve just been using the equipment that I think will be the most useful in general and not keeping alternate equipment for special situations. So I just weigh the armor, resistances, skill perks, etc and think what will keep me alive the best, not knowing what enemies I will actually face. I guess I’ve thrown some armor in the stash if I think it may be handy in some situation, but I haven’t ever swapped out stuff because of a particular enemy.Is that how you guys play?

I’m a soldier / occultist with 95% of my skill points spent on soldier. I’ve got a skill to weaken enemies close by (curse of frailty), an attack that is better every 3rd hit (Cadence), and an ability to thin out the herd (forcewave). I also use blitz to thin the herd and close the distance to ranged enemies. The battles pretty much play out the same way - close the distance to the enemies, weaken them, thin the herd. If there are a lot of ranged enemies I will sometimes make a beeline to thin them out so they don’t keep bombarding me. Also, don’t get surrounded.

@tomchick made the argument that ARPGs are about building your character and the clickity click of killing is secondary - and I think he made sense. That only works if the game is good about presenting situations that are a tactical challenge and giving feedback so you can intelligently adjust your build or approach. It seems like a lot of these games just like to throw a ton of crap at the player.

In theory Diablo 3 should have worked for me because they had ways to compete with people to see how well you were doing, but I never could tell if I should be killing enemies faster then I was - so I didn’t know if I was doing well. What difficulty should I be playing at? Also, I think there was so much crap on the screen I wasn’t great at observing what was going on.

I probably just need to add these style of ARPGs to the games I should avoid - Total War, Assassin’s Creed and some others. I just don’t think I am wired for them.

I do pretty much the same except I always concentrate on offense rather than defense. In some games this works, others not so much. I rarely to never swap, that’s for sure.

As I said above your skill choices and equipment finds and choices will have a very large impact on your difficulty. Some skill sets are just flat out better, especially in the beginning. Concentrating on the soldier line to start was smart/lucky for sure.

In my first veteran game I thought it was easy until I started running into packs of mini bosses that would tear me apart while proving pretty unimpressed with my damage output. I can only dance around so much before a tiny mistake would kill me. On another playthrough I never turned it off, and didn’t die more than a couple of times to stupidity before beating the end game.

I certainly think Grim Dawn is a better game than TQ anyways and I loved TQ.